Who makes a humbucker with one p-90 and one strat-style coil?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tjs, Feb 13, 2006.

1. tjs

tjs Senior Member

I've seen this somewhere before, but I can't recall who the manufacturer was. Anybody try this pickup, or if not, at least know who makes it?

2. LTE

LTE Member

Squier has the Squier '51 guitar with that configuration.

3. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Thanks, but the one I'm thinking of is an aftermarket pickup.

That Squier does sound interesting, though. Might be useful as a beater if it's cheap enough.

4. corgiears

corgiears Member

The Fralin Unbucker?

5. tjs

tjs Senior Member

No, that wasn't it either. The pickup I'm thinking of is a humbucker comprised of one p-90 and one strat-style coil, and is designed with the single coil sounds in mind rather than the HB sound. The unbucker is more of an unbalanced humbucker (hence the name).

It's actually a pretty interesting idea. I don't recall the clips of the humbucker sounding very good, but it could be useful for someone who wants to switch between authentic sounding p-90 and strat sounds. Unfortunately I was looking for a more traditional humbucker when I came across it, so I didn't bother to remember the manufacturer.

6. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

7. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

They mentioned several: Harmonic Design,SK Guitar Specialties,TV Jones, or our own Black Dog . Which one was it becuase these sound really interesting.........

8. Shades

Shades Member

of this type: I wind one under our Black Dog label and we also use one custom wound by Steve Kersting that's a slightly different design (there are more than a few different ways to approach this each with it's own charms.) I love them both. The other companies mentioned don't wind this particular type of pickup.

9. Josh_V

Josh_V Member

Its Steve Kersting at SK Guitar Specialties- if you check his website (www.skguitar.com), he made me the Dualtone II in the soapbar size. I have it set up with a three way mini toggle to split between P-90 coil, regular single coil, and full humbucker. Let me know if you have any questions.

Josh

10. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Thanks so much for that.......That has really made my Tele project alot more interesting.............:cool:

11. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Do you have any info on the Black Dog? How does it compare to the SK? Any clips?

Thanks.

12. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

I've got a Duncan 59 PuP Steve rewound into his original dualtone config in the bridge of my USACG Tele - This pup sounds totally unique and blows my mind everytime I pick it up.

Of course I also spend a lot of time on the Vanzandt V+ neck pup which adds a whole nother growl to that axe :hiP

Split to the P90 side it does a very convincing P90 thing too...

13. Shades

Shades Member

I have a few clips of the Black dog Beelzebucker in our guitars. However, I don't sell the pickup seperate from the guitars at the moment as I have my hands pretty full.

These aren't the greatest clips but you should getr some idea

Black Dog Beelzebucker:

Full humbucker mode
    http://www.chapinguitars.com/sounds/fafbirdbridge.mp3

This is the two pickup sound in each mode combined with an alnico pole piece p90 neck pickup http://www.chapinguitars.com/sounds/fafbothclean.mp3

This is the p90 side

http://www.chapinguitars.com/sounds/fathawkbridgesplit90side-01.mp3

Sorry I don't have the strat side alone handy. However, Anders has quite a few clips of it up on his Soundclick site

I'll dig through to see if I have any clips with steve's pickup, I'm sure I do. These I just happened to have already uploaded to my site.

14. tjs

tjs Senior Member

That's too bad. Based on the clips, your pickup sounds much better to me than Steve's.

If you get the chance to dig up some other clips of the SK pickups, though, I'd love to hear them.

15. tjs

tjs Senior Member

How good are the P-90 and regular single coil sounds? Do they sound like dedicated P-90 and strat pickups, or do they just sound like good split humbuckers? Have any clips?

Thanks.

16. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

Just an FYI, but I bought a set of odd Univox humbuckers, harness and surrounds from Steve which he assured me were working. It was more than a year before I was able to have them installed and then only one coil of each pickup was working. I e-mailed him about them and he had no recollection of the transaction although the same pickups were still listed on his site. In fact they are still listed on his site now and it has been several years since I purchased them....

17. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Yeah, his website does make him sound a little Ed Roman-esque. I have no experience dealing with him, but I think I'd be a little concerned about doing so.

Then again, I've also read accounts from people who raved about his customer service, so I guess YMMV.

18. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

I just got the impression that it was not of a top priority but he did seem knowledgable when we e-mailed about a custom set.

I couldn't reaally fault him for not remembering, but not checking the units before sending (as he said he had) does cause some concerns, as well as his lack of attention to the website. I would think an helicopter pilot, no less an instructor would be a little more detail oriented.