1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Who makes an amp with 2 output sections?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by buckd, Jan 24, 2008.

1. buckd

buckd I like big picks and I can not lie... Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I want an amp with an el34 output section and a 6L6 output section. You know, the best of both worlds...Who makes something like that?

Thanks.

2. buckd

buckd I like big picks and I can not lie... Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

BTTT, I know somebody makes an amp like this...

3. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

wasn't boogie's simul class a version of this?

4. Dave B

Dave B Exit... Dual Stage Left Silver Supporting Member

Nope. Had something to do with the combining of Class A and AB simultaneously (simultaneous classes). The technical gurus can chime in now.

Their Blue Angel has both a 6V6 and an EL84 output section - had to switch them (or combine them) with a switch on the front panel. The Budda Dual Stage 30 has a 6L6 and an EL84 section - and these were footswitchable. There have been a few others, and I know someone is (or was until recently) still making one with EL34s on the one side, because I've seen them mentioned here. Sorry, I can't remember the manufacturer.

5. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

The Bad Cat Tone Cat has a EL84 & EL34 output sections and is amazing sounding. You can even blend the 2 output sections for more variety.

As far as a EL34/6L6 amp, the Bad Cat Custom Shop might do an amp like that, but it would be very expensive.

6. trey85stang

trey85stang Member

mesa roadster Randall R/T50 Poweramp plus a preamp of your choice. There are others im sure.

7. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I'm not well versed with the Z line, but isn't there something called a 6545 that has different output complements? I tried it once, but there was no foot switch and it was up high at trutone, the one channel I could hear sounded great.

8. mooreamps

mooreamps Senior Member

Well, isn't that interesting. I did not know there was someone else doing mixed mode amplifiers. My 10 watt, 18 watt, and 36 watt amps are mixed mode amps as well, but I think my layout is a little different. For example, I will use the 12ax7's for the treble pre-amp channel, and the 6SL7's for the bass pre-amp channel. I can do these builds as either mono or stereo. Also, I have my own circuit for power tube current regulated power scaling. I do this way to avoid the "starved plate" condition created by a plate rail voltage adjusted power scaler.​

-g​

9. glenecho

glenecho Member

Mesa Road King...but from the clips I've heard it's a very subtle difference in tone when going from the 6L6's to the EL34's

10. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Mesa Road King for sure, but FWIW, I believe you can make 6L6 tubes sound like EL34, but not vice versa, which would explain the comment above. I can easily get a cracking Marshall tone from my H&K Triamp with 6L6 tubes, esp since 2 channels are especially voiced to do just that. I had previously been keen to get a Road King for the EL34/6L6 switching option, but I'm not so fussed any more. I can get all those tones without it.

Let the screaming begin...............

11. trisonic

trisonic Member

Maven Peal Ganesha can do that. You can also switch between the two or have all four on from the front of the amp.
    Incredible amp.

Best, Pete.

12. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Yeah, the Mesa Road King.... It's a subtle difference, but it's still a nice difference and gives you some great tonal options. The big tone of 6L6's, with the cutting mids of EL34's.

I liked mine, wish I still had it sometimes...... then I realize I don't play in a rock band any more ;)

13. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

14. buckd

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've got a good start to my hunt!

Chris

15. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    guessing: Maven Peal RG88, maybe Rivera S120

:cool:

16. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Road King: all 4 channels

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5144931

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5144956

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5144983

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5145014

Budda Dual Stage 30 uses 6L6s and EL84s

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5117689

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5117704

All the clips run through with one set of tubes, then switches to the other set, no other changes made. Changing the tubes does very little(at least on those amps. Changing speakers

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5247205

much bigger change to my ears.

I have a Mesa Blue Angel, too, and I consider the change to be a little more noticeable, but still not a night/day thing.

EL34s CAN sound enough like 6L6s (AND vice-versa) that it's obviously not a limiting factor to getting a tone. For example, I thought the EL34 Shiva sounded more "Fendery" than the 6L6 one.

17. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Get in touch..
    I may have a solution for you.
    I guess what I would ask as a clarification is do you want to use both at the same time through different cabs or just be able to switch between the two?

18. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

That's one output stage with two different tube types.
    I think he's asking about an amp with both an EL34
    and 6l6 power amp?

19. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Thats what I thought Doug.
    I was under the impression that he wants to run both at once, yes?

20. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

http://www.londonpower.com/products/sustain.htm

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SUSTAINOR is two complete amplifiers built into one chassis. The "channels" can be used independently, driving two separately connected cabinets, or used alternately into a common cabinet or separate cabinets. Since each channel is a completely separate amplifier, each path can be fitted with tube complements that are quite different, providing extreme tonal variation. [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Both channels have identical controls, allowing the player many performance and tone combinations: [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DRIVE[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif], HIGH, LOW, PREAMP LEVEL, SEND, RETURN, LOUD, BODY[/FONT] and [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]POWER SCALE[/FONT] are continuous controls, along with four switchable voicing elements. Master-volume and non-MV sounds are easily accessed. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Each channel has its own effects loop, but the loop can be turned on/off as needed. Effects loop status and channel selection is via the four-button foot-switch. There is direct-random-access from one sound to another: A, A+FX, B, B+FX. In SPLIT-mode, the 4-way footswitch is replaced by two single-button footswitches to control the loops of each amp independently. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Each power amp is controlled by [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LOUD[/FONT], [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BODY[/FONT] and [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]POWER SCALE[/FONT] controls, allowing pristine clean to power tube compression or crunch. Add this texture to either preamp sound for sustained leads. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BODY[/FONT] dials in warmth in both single-ended and push-pull modes. See the list of features common to the new line of London Power instrument amplifiers.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][​IMG]
    [/FONT]