Who makes high gain amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gearo999, Jun 7, 2005.

1. gearo999

gearo999 Member

Gain like the 5150, SLO and Engl Poweball. Not pedals to make lots of distortion.

The folks on this forum are way different than HC. I think this is where amp gear heads go when they grow up. Most of the amps on this forum I have never hear or seen so I'm trying to find out whats out there.

Thanks.

2. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

I do! Me too please! :D

3. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Well, as you mentioned, there is Soldano. Also several Rivera models, also Bogner Uberschall. There is always Mesa.

One you hear less about but actually has a good deal of gain is Demeter TGA-3. It's voiced a bit differently than the thumpier high gain amps but there is actually a decent scream in the hot channel.

4. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

I'm not sure I understand the question, the amp mfg's you already named make amps like that, and by your sig, you seem to have a couple.

I'm not being smart, just trying to be helpful.

I currently play a Rivera Knucklehead reverb, which is the closest thing Rivera makes to what you're asking about.

5. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

www.makoamplification.com

www.tonemerchants.com check out the Diezel gear and the Cornford gear and all the other high gain badboys these guys carry

www.badcatamps.com check out the Bad Cat Hot Cat

www.suhrguitars.com the big bad OD-100 (do a search for this in the Amps and Cabs forum and there is a post with SOME AWESOME clips)

www.cornfordamps.com really awesome unique amps

I'm sure there is more, but you already seem to know about a fair amount of them, so these are some of the "lesser known" ones in some parts of the gear world.

-TJK

6. gearo999

gearo999 Member

No offense taken. It is more of a tonality decision. I like the SLO but I don't like the clean channel. I like the clean channel on the Rivera but I don't like its voicing with distortion. I like the Marshall JCM 2000 series but more for classic rock and blues.

I doubt it exists but I want great cleans, a Marshally crunch for classic rock and blues and a searing lead channel in one amp. Maybe I have to go to a two amp setup but I don't want to get too complicated.

I love my Powerball but its not voiced for classic rock. Maybe an overdrive pedal into the second channel would do the classic rock thing for me.

There has got to be something in a channel switcher out there...

7. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

It sounds like the Suhr OD-100 SE 3+ mod will get you there.

You may also want to consider a Diezel Herbert. They've been known to get some Marshall tones and Diezels were made for high gain.

8. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I hear that Peters does some kewl channel switchers. :p

9. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Member

I've been looking for pretty much the same thing. And I've been looking for quite a while now. Among many others, I've had a Powerball and a Savage 120. Neither had enough of that Marshall thing going, but channel 2 on the Powerball was getting close. I'm now considering giving the Engl Blackmore model a try - it's supposed to be more classic in its voicing, yet still be able to do the Engl high gain thing.

Also, I can vouch for James Peters! He makes a very cool two channel amp. If you don't need your cleans to be ultra-clean, you can get one of his amps with a classic preamp and lead preamp, then get clean(er) by rolling back on your volume control on the classic (crunch) channel.

10. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Knucklehead II is the big bad gain amp from Rivera. Knucklehead Reverb has lots of gain, but KII is the purpose built head banger.

11. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

When you put it that way, Demeter TGA-3 springs to mind. Exquisite cleans, excellent crunch of a Marshall sort, and fiery searing leads to end all searing leads. When you say "searing leads", TGA-3 is all about that.

12. Slick51

Slick51 Colonel Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Northwest Corner of NC, 5 mi from MerleFest
    Ditto on the Rivera Knuckleheads. I have the KH Reverb 55, and it does about everything I'll ever ask an un-aided amp to do. A fine clean w/ reverb, a center channel that can be tamed down to very Marshall-y territories, and then the hot ch maxed out on top of that. AND, this one is MIDI capable on all MIDI channels, so you can switch the amp and all of your outboard rack things with either the Headmaster footswitch made for it, or a good MIDI switcher like the Rocktron All Access et al, with simultaneous transmission on several MIDI channels at once (so, NOT the POS Behringer FCB1010).

As usual, you'll have differeing opinions available; these are mine...:D

Slick51

13. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

How about a Hughes & Kettner triamp?? Never played one, but thought it fit your description.

14. TechpriesT

TechpriesT Member

I would like to suggest a Yamaha DG130 Head, it was some sweet distortions and cleans.

15. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

Voodoo amps make the witchdoctor which is a high gain also there is the new EM 100 which is a better version of the 5150....

16. TechpriesT

TechpriesT Member

Who makes this EM100? and where can I find more info on it?

17. Senor Blues

Senor Blues Member

18. Rayneman

Rayneman Supporting Member

Have you really tried the "Lo Lead" channel of the Powerball using the focused mid setting? I know the tone change is so dramatic when you use it, but if you have not, play with that for a good long while and you might find a great, more classic tone when backing down on the gain. I've been surprised that so many Powerball users haven't really explored that feature on the amp!

The only drawback to the focused mid setting is that the volume jumps quite a bit, but you have your A/B masters as well so this could be used easily in a live setting if you use the Z-5 footswitch.

Just a thought!

Tim

19. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

A two amp set up is the way to go. IMO, you will never get both great cleans and overdrive from the same amp. There is ALWAYS a compromise.

For clean and crunch tones get one of these and a Fulldrive II.

Bruno Underground 30

[​IMG]

For all out searing lead tones (like the best Soldano you can find, and its hand wired as well), get one of these.

Bruno Lead Man 100

[​IMG]

AB box them, or use a head switcher with one cabinet and you will have tone you will not believe.

20. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

At least you prefaced that with "IMO". :) Some amps have both excellent cleans and excellent overdrive sounds. I'm guessing you haven't heard them though.