Who make's Rickenbacker type "Hi-gain" pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rusty G., May 19, 2008.

1. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

One of my favorite sounding guitars is the Rickenbacker 360 with the Rickenbacker Hi-gain single coil pickups. Jangly when strummed, yet they can rock with the best when hitting the amp with a nice overdrive pedal.

Problem is. . .the necks are too thin and the frets are too short to do a lot of blues bending and such with them.

Solutions. . .My Nephew's Ric 620 was fixed by having the frets replaced, the neck plecked and the lacquer on the fretboard removed and the neck is now oiled. The neck is still just a little too thin.

I'd like to put a Rickenbacker pickup on a hollowbody guitar like a Koll or something along that line, but the pickups are way too tall, and they sit on top of the Ric 360's body. Wouldn't work on a Koll, Baker, etc.

Thus, the solution is maybe there is someone out there who is producing a "Rickenbacker" type pickup already, but in humbucker size. Does anybody have any experience or knowledge regarding this?

2. SGNick

SGNick Member

You could contact the Seymour Duncan Custom shop. I'm sure they can figure something out for you.

3. Jagsound

Jagsound Member

There is always the 660 or 650 which has a neck the same width as a Les Paul, but it is the solid body one, not the 300 series semi hollow. The 660 is the old style one with the same bridge/tail/pick ups as the 360 but smaller body with a through neck. The 650 is a more modern looking version of that one without binding and usually comes with Ric humbuckers, a pro looking combined bridge/tail and an oiled finish.

I believe there's a fair bit of pressure on Ric to do a wider neck on the 300 series, but so far they wont be drawn on it. You can buy the Ric pickups but they're often out of stock. They do come up on the bay sometimes.

4. SGNick

SGNick Member

There's pressure, but not really... If every 330 and 360 out of the factory is pre-sold... where's the pressure to update and change it?

5. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

Like this one?

[​IMG]

A thing of sheer beauty. :drool

6. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

I'm not one to normally have much GAS for any gear, but I've been having it big time for a Ric lately...a 660 specifically. I'd love a 360, but I'm not big on the high gains or the horribly skinny/narrow necks. The now out of production 380L's had wider/chunkier necks on them, but they're rare as hen's teeth. The 660/650's have a 1 3/4" wide neck so they're wider than most production guitars (very few have anything wider than 1 11/16" which is basically the Gibson/Fender standard these days it seems). So those might be worth a look. Personally I would LOVE a 360 with a wide/chunky neck and toasters, but doubt I'll ever see that in my lifetime. There definitely seems to be a lot of want for wider/chunkier Ric necks, but who knows if that will ever happen. :(

Pickup wise though I don't know if anybody makes replacements as I haven't seen any, but it's probably worth a shot to ask around the bigger named manufacturers & custom winders. Although some of these GFS "NY" pickups might do the job:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/vintagestyle.html

7. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Thanks for the replies so far. I've got a Koll Duo Glide, which happens to be my favorite playing guitar. I would replace the Lollar Humbuckers in it with some Ric Hi-gains, if they would fit. They're just too tall.

I've also put in an email to Lollar pickups about the possibility of making a Ric type pickup. I'm even considering contacting TVJones to see if there's a possibility of them making one for me.

I absolutely love my Ric's. They sound like nothing else out there. They don't do a tele, a strat, les paul or anything else. They're not the end all, be all guitar, so I have about 20 guitars, because you just need a tele for a tele sound, and a strat for a strat sound, LP for that sound and so on.

Still. . .the idea of a thicker neck with larger frets, an un-lacquered fret board and Rickenbacker type pickups is something that somebody should make!

8. FirstBassman

FirstBassman Member

Huh!?

This "RIC necks are too thin" is an urban legend that seems to want to live on forever. (And even if they were thinner, what does that have to do with string bending?)

Ever measure the width of a Rickenbacker 360 guitar? Ever check the specs:?

http://www.rickenbacker.com/model.asp?model=360

They are the same width as every other guitar out there.

The "legend" of the slim necks has to do with the fact that (unfortunately IMHO) the 12-string 360 has the same width as the six-string. As opposed to most 12-strings (which have a 1.75" nut width) thus putting the pairs much closer together.

And the frets are just fine, btw.

9. jcground

jcground Member

Sounds like you are not happy with the thickness of the neck front to back, not the width of the neck, correct? True that 660s are wider, which I personally far prefer for 12-strings. I have a 660-12 for exactly that reason. Mine has a chunky neck thickness too, though, so go figure. I'm very happy with it. The only thing I don't like is restringing it. :)

Pickups: 660s have the vintage scatterwound "toaster top" single coils. Ric's modern single coils are a bit higher output, as are the humbuckers on guitars like the 650 Dakota, Colorado and Sierra (and the older Atlantis). You might like the necks on one of those guitars if you've never gotten the chance to play them. The Dakota and Sierra have hand-oiled finishes, including a very fast neck, and you can sometimes find great deals on them used. Very underrated guitars.

TV Jones makes pickups that have similar vintagey mojo to my ears (Filter Tron, etc...). Note that their single coils can whine if you gig through a loud amp. They're also not the same size as a full-sized humbucker. They're closer to the size of the Ric pickups. If you're looking for a full-sized humbucker there are tons and tons to choose from, but I can't make a recommendation for something that has that vintage Ric tone, except to say look for something that's lower output like a PAF or a WCR Crossroads, etc... Jason Lollar, Wagner, Wolfe, or another pickup pro could almost certainly help you out.

10. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Yes, I have checked out the specs.

http://www.rickenbacker.com/model.asp?model=360

According to Rickenbacker, the neck of the 360, of which I have two, is 1.63" wide at the nut and 1.931" wide at the 12th fret.

http://www.rickenbacker.com/model.asp?model=660

Also, according to the Rickenbacker website, the 660 is 1 3/4" wide at the nut and 2 1/16" wide at the 12th fret. There IS a difference and it's not in my head. I just want to get that RICKENBACKER sound out of a guitar that's easy to play. . .like my Koll, or something else. Maybe, I'll just have to try a Ric 660. . .I'm just not sold on the 21 frets and the fact that it's a solid body. . .I feel it'll effect the tone.

As to the "bending" problems. . .It's the frets that bother me. . .they're vintage sized. . .not as easy to bend. . .Of course, it can be done, but it's in very cramped spaces.