Who makes TeleGib's?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nsriley, Jan 16, 2006.

1. nsriley

nsriley Member

I have been seeing some old pics of Jeff Beck's TeleGib that Seymour made him way back when. I love the look of it, even though many think it is weird. I did a search and saw one thread about Chapin guitars that makes a similar one. How come Fender hasn't made one yet? I'd love to get my hands on one, instead of buying a Tele and routing it out to make one. ANy info would be great.

Thanks,
    -Nate

2. Mark C

Mark C Member

There's plenty of two humbucker teles out there, but if you want to replicate the vibe and look of Beck's, may I suggest building one? Warmoth or USA Custom can make you the neck and body (personally, I think USA Custom is a bit higher quality) and you can get everything made to your preference. Finishing, building and setting up a guitar require patience and knowledge, but the knowledge can be found all over the internet. I have five strats and teles that I've built, and they all sound and play better than pretty much any Fender I've picked up in a store in the past couple of years.

3. Unburst

Unburst Member

Chapin made one for decay-o-caster, also I think Fender Japan make one.

4. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Nah, Decay has the keef.

Mike (tonegurus) and Brewbeck and I think Amitar all have Beck-Birds.

Freaking amazing guitars!

5. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Telegib goldtop here. Warmoth body and neck, nitro finish, Les Paul pickguard. Don't forget to use the cut down stock tele bridge for the full tele advantage....:)

[​IMG]

6. SLG

SLG Member

Fender makes an excellent TeleGib. I own an American made Deluxe Telecaster HH FMT. If you are patient, and watch on EBay, you can pick up a used one for around $800~$900. The American Standard Telecaster HH is also nice instruments for less money. IMO it's worth the extra money for the American Deluxe. Most instrument stores do not stock the American Deluxe HH FMT / QMT because of the high price tag (Musicians's Friend gets $1350.00 for them new). If you can find a nice one for $800, I'd say go for it.

The Korean Telecaster FMT/QMT is a fixed neck version of the TeleGib. Although they are a great guitar for the money, typically $350 and less used, they do have a different feel from the bolt-on neck Amercian Standard and American Deluxe. The pickups on the American made instruments sound better than the humbuckers in the Korean model as well.

Anderson, Melancon, and Suhr make some wonderful variations on the TeleGib theme. The quality is reflected in the price. If you are looking for a hand-crafted instrument, all three builders will produce a superb custom instrument to your specs.

7. nsriley

nsriley Member

Thanks for all the info so far folks! I'm not sure what I want just yet, but getting some great ideas here. I don't have a ton of money to spend, but I can always save over time or build one, in which I get a few parts at a time.

Anymore suggestions?

-Peace
    -Nate

8. cycler

cycler Supporting Member

you may want to check with the folks over at the tdpri.com website, also, check their classifieds for parts of a complete guitar...

9. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

10. mainsale

mainsale Member

Oh, now that's just SICK!

11. nsriley

nsriley Member

WOW! That Warmoth makes me drool!!!!!! The GAS rises! LOL!

-Peace
    -Nate

12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

If you want to keep it inexpensive, check out the Squier Master Series Chambered Tele and Master Series Thinline Tele. I tried them out at GC a couple of months ago and I was impressed. They looked good, felt good, and played as good as just about any other mass production guitar does. The only weak point I noticed were the Duncan Design pickups but this is easily corrected. They remind me of the ProTone Squiers that were out in the mid-90's and came and went quickly and are now sought after.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

Look for an old school USA Schecter. They're smokin.
    [​IMG]

14. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Those Squiers are actully pretty decent guitars, I tried a couple out at a local store here. The only problem with them is they're 24 3/4" scale. You're not gonna get a good Fendery vibe from them.

15. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

They sure do. There are also these:

http://www.zen-pharaohs.com/guitars/Fender/flametop.htm
    http://www.zen-pharaohs.com/guitars/Fender/Lesacaster/lesacast.htm

As well as the Anderson types you mentioned:

http://www.zen-pharaohs.com/guitars/Anderson/Cobras/hollowco.htm

And although I don't have a picture of it, there is at least one H/S/H Anderson Hollow T which is an insanely good guitar.

16. Mike

Mike Member

You are doubly correct sir! Here's mine (Gibby scale)

[​IMG]

Mike (Tele-Gib owner #3)

17. Scrutinizer

Scrutinizer Member

18. mccreadyisgod

mccreadyisgod Member

19. Cheebatone

Cheebatone Member

I played one of these a few weeks back and can also testify to their goodness.

20. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

The Dean EVO, designed by Chapin, are a Les Paul Tele hybrid. The EVO Deluxe and Premium are great handmade guitars, with splitable humbuckers. They stopped production on them last year, but you can find them in the 400 to 700 dollar range.