Who Makes the Actual Flattest Patch Cables in 2022?

Who Makes the Actual Flattest Patch Cables in 2022?

• EBS

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Tour Gear Designs

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Ernie Ball

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Hosa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donner

• Warwick

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Rock Stock

• D'Addario

• Pig Hog

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Maka

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

johnetone

Silver Supporting Member
So far, EBS still appears to be the winner of this category. But has anyone seen a depth comparison of the current contenders in the flat patch cable segment?

Mahalo!

:aok

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
EBS has been better than Warwick or Donner for me. The highest-end Warwicks are very, very stiff and the plugs are not small (returned them).

I run EBS' lowest capacitance cables before buffers and their Golds after.

The Golds have a smaller footprint and their cables can be more readily folded to fit in tight spaces.

Last edited:

johnh

I love my EBS gold patch cables. I like the fact that the cables are quite flexible and the plugs are tiny. I’ve also found the to be very reliable. I sold all my EA patch cables and I’m very happy with the EBS.

antinul

In my experience I’ve actually been able to get two pedals closer together using Tour Gear cables. But it’s not because they’re flatter, but because the ends of the cable are smaller. M Maka is similar to tour gear (and some others I think) but I got a bad M Maka cable once and once was enough. They probably all come from the same factory in China anyway, who knows?

I can see wanting flat patch cables from an ergonomic perspective, but as electronic design it makes no sense; You'd just be increasing the surface area of the wire &/or shielding relative to the conductor cross-section area and inviting radio interference.

johnetone

Silver Supporting Member
I can see wanting flat patch cables from an ergonomic perspective, but as electronic design it makes no sense; You'd just be increasing the surface area of the wire &/or shielding relative to the conductor cross-section area and inviting radio interference.
The copper inside is not flat. The rubber ribbon jacket is. Or at least this is how the EBS is done:

C53691C0-5911-4065-A780-477448D4FE69.jpeg

johnetone

Silver Supporting Member
Well I'm glad the core is sound, but unless the outer jacket is just there to have something to grab, or at least stop flexure on one axis, wouldn't something like a tighter diameter braided-nylon shell make more sense?
I think it is somewhat negligible. But they do kinda fold and tuck nicely. since most of the noodles I use between cables tend to be on a flat plane, the flat cabling seems to be just fine.

johnetone

Silver Supporting Member
Nah, I think it's cool to discuss all the aspects of them. I just am basically wondering which ones actually take up the least amount of depth if they are plugged in directly next to each other.

I just don't really care for those one piece 1/4" male turnarounds because even in a situation where the exact same brand is being used side by side, a flexible pedal board can lead to a bit of unwanted stress on the pedal.

All of this comes from not wanting my board to be any bigger than 24" wide, but still wanting about 12 - 14 full sized pedals on it. I wish everyone did topjacks and this wouldn't be much of an issue. But Spaceman still does sidejacks and therein lies my rub.

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
Nah, I think it's cool to discuss all the aspects of them. I just am basically wondering which ones actually take up the least amount of depth if they are plugged in directly next to each other.

I just don't really care for those one piece 1/4" male turnarounds because even in a situation where the exact same brand is being used side by side, a flexible pedal board can lead to a bit of unwanted stress on the pedal.

All of this comes from not wanting my board to be any bigger than 24" wide, but still wanting about 12 - 14 full sized pedals on it. I wish everyone did topjacks and this wouldn't be much of an issue. But Spaceman still does sidejacks and therein lies my rub.
I would be careful about trying to cram too many pedals too closely together. While it certainly makes for a nice and tidy-looking pedalboard, in practice, having so much so close together can pose other problems. No one wants a huge and unwieldy board, but I'd personally rather have something that's slightly wider if it means a much more ergonomic and practical layout of my pedals.

I recently rewired an entirely new pedalboard with the Ernie Ball flat cables, and it's been great. Very tidy and secure. I did need to make one custom length Lava cable, but otherwise the EB flats completely covered me. While I guess they're not the flattest plugs, they're flat enough, IMO.

johnetone

Silver Supporting Member
My board is fairly ergo. Everything is oriented regularly except a couple mini pedals. Basically I’m trying to fit 25” of pedals on a 24” board. And these flat patchers make it work pretty well.

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
Appreciating the science, I have not noticed an increase in radio interference and I'm now making extensive use of EBS on multiple boards. My perception is that the radio-interference issue is "pedal-dominated" in the relevant range.

The lower capacitance of the highest-end EBS cables is definitely worthwhile pre-buffers (fuzz for me) if you can tolerate the increased plug size.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom