Who Makes The Best 335 Knockoff?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by hardys, Jan 3, 2008.

1. hardys

hardys Member

I've been jonesing for a 335, but Gibson's prices are really high and I've seen some new, "not so perfect" 335s hanging on some music shop walls. I just can't justify spending that kind of cash on the workmanship Gison has been putting out lately. So, that being said, who makes a GREAT 335 copy these days? :confused:

Please don't say "Brand ABC makes a good one, but youy need to replace the pickups". The last thing I want to do is fish pots and switchs through an F hole. Been there before! :bkw

2. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Ibanez Scofiled Model is pretty sweet from what I hear. Or an older AS-200.

3. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

Heritage 535, but some believe that "with all things Heritage", you need to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince.

I do, indeed, believe that.....but that's where I'd look.

Sorry, but I'm not a big Epi fan. I can't endores those, though others will...

4. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Check out Reverend Guitars. They have a model called the Manta-Ray or Sting-Ray (not sure which) that has gotten some great reviews in a recent Tonequest article. While not dirt cheap, they are an affordably priced mid-level semihollow electric, and many people regard Reverends as good quality instruments.

5. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

it's not really a knock-off because it uses solid woods and is a smaller size but the hamer newport pros can't be beat. great for rock, jazz and just about everything. here's one of mine.
    [​IMG]

6. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

try the Guild Starfire's, a Heritage, or the Hofner Verithin. All are cheaper than Gibson, with a comparable or better build quality.

7. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

If you want to go really cheap, try a Hamer Echotone or one of the Ibanez semi's. All those guitars really need are a good set of pickups and upgraded pots and switches. You can have a killer guitar for about five bills.

8. jamison162

jamison162 Member

If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking for a used Heritage 535 no question.

9. 56_Special

56_Special Member

10. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Double-Tokai with bells on. The Japanese ones, especially.

11. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

Try an Epiphone Elitist '63 335 DOT. I know many dismiss Epiphone but the Elitist series are extremely high quality and very consistent and as good as the non Custom Shop Gibsons (and often better).

12. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Epi Elitist 335's are pretty darned good guitars for the money.

13. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Collings I-35. Not exactly a copy, but clearly a 335-style guitar. The best available in many people's opinions. Pricey, but worth it.

[​IMG]

14. westchesterdave

westchesterdave Member

Agreed! Takes semi hollow to a whole other level.

15. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

Heritage 535. No contest

plexi

16. JohnCovach

JohnCovach Supporting Member

Heritage 535--BUT make sure you buy one with the pickups you want already installed. The stock Schallers are ok (you can usually tell they are Schallers by the two adjustment screws on each side of the pickup, rather than one). I put Duncans in mine and it's a famously difficult job swapping out pickups on a semi-hollow guitar like that. ou might also want to be sure you get the tune-o-matic bridge rather than the roller bridge that comes stock. These guitars are plentiful and run about $1k used.

Just to be picky: the Heritiage 535 is no more of a knockoff than the current Gibson is. Some might argue that current Gibson guitars are not originals but replicas--but no need to go down that road now, eh?

17. neil99

neil99 Member

Another vote for the Heritage 535, pick them up used for about a grand, sweet guitars.

18. JohnCovach

JohnCovach Supporting Member

There's a beautiful 535 for sale on this site right now. The price is right and it's got the hardware upgrades.

19. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

20. Redrum

Redrum Member

I think it's most entertaining when players diss Epi's in general. You can bet none of them ever wrapped their paws around a Japanese-made Epi Elitist 63' ES335 Dot, that's for sure. Lotsa misconceptions about Epi's, but make no mistake, the Elitist Dot is a remarkable instrument and every bit a 335. It's not "kind-of" or "close-to" or "in-between a _____ and a ______".

It's a 335. And a very, very good one at that. If your looking for a 335 alternative, check one out. Can find em' new for 1100.00, or roughly 1/3 the price of a Gibbo.

(And you DON'T need to change the pickups either).

:cool: