Who makes the best Colorsound Overdriver (clone)?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cajone5, Jan 30, 2012.

1. cajone5

cajone5 Some guy Silver Supporting Member

I know there are reissues and clones out there but I'm curious if anyone has really put them through their paces and found that something stood head and shoulders above the rest. I have played the reissue and sonically it was pretty fantastic although I sold it for a few reasons...

1. Enclosure was too large to remain pedalboard friendly
    2. Didn't like the reversed in/out jacks
    3. Unity (or close) volume was impossible with the drive knob maxed into that awesome fuzzy OD territory
    4. Only operates on battery

So I'm looking for something smaller and more pedalboard friendly with a 9v power port and the ability to hit unity on the master volume even with the drive knob maxed.

Any thoughts or recommendations? :munch

2. dysorexia

dysorexia Senior Member

I like the Black Forest.

Custom50 likes this.
  3. Sun Creature

Sun Creature Supporting Member

+1, heard nothing but great things about the Black Forest. Plus it seems slightly more versatile than the original Coloursound OD.

4. cajone5

Cool -- listening to the PGS clip now :phones -- sounds great as a fuzz but does anyone know if the pedal can still be used as a fattening EQ/boost like the original? That's probably how it would be used by me 70% of the time so that tone is also very important.

5. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

The Black Forest can do the almost-clean big boost thing pretty well. It's remarkably dynamic.

6. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

I recently had the opportunity to spend some time with Basic Audio Futureman, and I thought it truly excelled using it the way you describe. I loved it as a fattening/EQ boost that could also add some fuzzy hair if needed. I played it into my Fargen, which was running variously on the edge of breakup, dirty, and really dirty. Would love to check out a Black Forest at some point.

7. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Ι haven't done lots of research on it, but I think that the Black Forest only has the Overdriver as a starting point for the circuit, and is not meant as a reproduction. Maybe the Throbak accomplishes this better (http://www.throbak.com/2006/11/overdrive_boost.html). Lots of past TGP threads on the same Overdriver clones subject with very useful info.

krz4fx likes this.
  8. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

Gtr Player mag did a shootout and the Prescription Elec. RX Overdriver won.I used to have a colorsound and I like my RX a lot more.

James likes this.
  9. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

I have the Throbak Overdrive Boost, really like it for fattening and lead breaks, you can dial in how much it will break up too, very nice. I am quite interested in the Black Forest, it looks super good, very smart re-think of the circuit.

10. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

monsterpiece COD !!! i have it and it is my favorite (and only) boost.

11. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

This^^^^I had the Throbak,I liked the Rx MUCH better.

12. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

how does the Rx compare to the throbak?? very curious

13. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

Wish I could be more specific but I never had them at the same time for direct comparison but I do remember being on the fence about the Throbak and ultimately sold it cuz I just wasnt stepping on it.Then I came across a deal on an old purfboard area Rx and was instantly stoked about it right out of the gate.Been quite a while now and still love it.I do recall liking the EQ'ing better + the overall gain sound was better,exactly how eludes me.

14. cpricecpa

cpricecpa Member

Check out a Wilson BC109. I have one. Nice unit.

15. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

This

16. Black Arts Mark

Black Arts Mark Member

Thanks for the good words.
    The Black Forest is indeed based on the CS OD. I changed a few values to make it work better to my ears, and the added 6 way rotary switch can set the amt. lows/woolyness/woof you want in the circuit. From thin and crunchy to a halfcocked wah type of setting to a completely bottom heavy wooly fuzz. If you are looking for a faithful CS OD circuit, you'll find something close, but this is a bit more of a versatile modern take on it.

17. cajone5

Sounds like the Rx might be what I'm looking for -- I've got a WTB ad in the emporium at the moment so hopefully that pans out :aok

18. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Check out the Basic Audio Futureman.

19. cajone5

I totally dig the basic audio stuff but it seems like that pedal (from the demos anyway) doesn't do the same fattening eq'd clean boost that the original overdriver does. It does a great job at the fuzzy OD stuff but doesn't seem to have the clean range on the drive knob.

20. meterman

meterman Member

I've been curious about that pedal for a long time, I have their Germ and it is a really sweet clean boost and fuzzy overdrive as well.