Who Makes the best Dumble-like pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by p.snail, May 15, 2006.

1. p.snail

p.snail Member

I have zero experience with any of these pedals. I know that Menatone, Hermida, and HAO make Dumbles in a box. Who else is making one and which one works best for you? It is a tone I'm interested in trying to get for myself, but Dumbles, Two Rocks, and Fuchs amps are not an option. Thanks in advance.

2. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

I'll place a vote for the Zendrive. I played a Fuchs ODS30 once and it can do way more than the pedal can. Do a search, you'll find plenty of posts on this subject.

3. xroads

xroads Member

Zendrive - it's not as dynamic as the real thing, but if you play around with the controls of the box and the volume of your guitar, you can get some of the dynamic pick attack people are looking for. I use it a lot with SCs to get a fluid but dynamic blues sound.

4. nsriley

nsriley Member

I'd third the ZenDrive. I have one and if you tweek it right with your amp, it's will get you very very close to that sound. :)

-Peace
    -Nate

5. journo

journo Member

Hi,

I have a Zendrive and it does get close to that sound but my specimen takes away some bass. The dynamics are good but they mainly seem to affect the sound and not the volume. I also have some issues with it not responding the way I want it when I change the volume on my guitar.

I just got another pedal that I got quite close with that is easier to get and that's the T-Rex Mudhoney. I just posted a tune in the sound clip section if you want to hear it in action.

Cheers,

Mats N

6. steinny

steinny Member

Can you be more specific? I have a ODS30 which I love, but I need a pedal for a backup rig, and in clips the Zendrive sounds pretty close - what "more" does the ODS do?

7. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I've gotten great Dumble-esque tones with the Pro Analog Dirt Royale w/Cheese... and the dynamics on that pedal of phenominal.

Touch sensitivity is one of the specialties of Scotty (the Pro Analog builder) and all his pedals have it in spades... but there is a clear sustain factor that the Dirt Royale has that is untouched by any of my other pedals.

Guitar is a PRS Custom 24 and a Germino LoVo Lead 55... so far from a Dumble... but with this pedal... it definately works for me... PLUS that isn't the ONLY thing the Dirt Royale can do.

-TJK

8. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

I have to register my $.02 worth for the Menatone Howie. Great light overdrive sounds....cleans up when you back the volume down nicely. I don't have much use for the "Boost" function....but the "normal" overdrive mode makes it one of my favorite pedals.

9. EddieFeder

EddieFeder Senior Member

I ran into Sonnny Landreth recently and has some prototype Fulltone pedal he just got. It's small, silver/aluminum with Volume , Gain, Bass and treble.
    he said he's getting too nervous flying the Dumbles and sounded real happy with it, although i didn't get to hear it.
    Anybody know what this thing is?
    I emailed Mike but didn't get a response, suprise.

10. drolling

drolling Member

I've got no idea what a Dumble sounds like except on a few famous recordings, but I more or less agree with your assessment of the zendrive. It does cut bass and boost mids, like a tubescreamer, and as you say, it's not a super gainey loud pedal. I think that even the great review in Guitar Player mentioned how it doesn't clean up well w/the guitar's volume.

Not the world's most versatile pedal, but as many in this thread have noted, if you spend some time dialing it in, you'll get a nice, smooth lead tone.

11. Matt F

Matt F Member

I always associate the Dumble sound, like I am sure many of us do, with players like Larry Carlton & Robben Ford. And having great gear can sure help us attempt to get there. I see photos of Robben Ford's gear from the Tampa Blues Festival on the Hermida Audio website, http://www.hermidaaudio.com/ . Looks like a couple of Fender Twins, a Wah, Volume pedal and a Zendrive. Then I laugh at the gear I have and want to have and all I really want is Mr. Ford's "TONE". LOL :)

Anyway, off to practice

12. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

The Fireball 2 does a good job getting the Dumble sound.

13. lv

lv Supporting Member

Cornish SS-2 or 3
    Stampede SOV
    Zendrive

(in that order)

14. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

It appears that Robben, like other Dumble owners/users, doesn't always travel or tour with his Dumble, in which case he uses Fenders and a Zendrive. I and a number of other Gear Page members have been hearing Robben jam for the last month of Mondays in a club in Hollywood, and since it's close to his home (Ojai), he's been using his Dumble, straight in - no pedals - except for a tc 2290 for delay. The tones he's getting are classic Robben tones all the way - the very classic, legendary tones that many people continually refer to, and are trying to achieve via various pedals and amps. I suspect the Fender + Zendrive combination is his next best alternative, when he cannot use his Dumble.

15. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I've never actually heard a dumble, but the new Barber Small Fry has a $20,000 booteek setting in the suggested settings sheet that comes with it, and it gave a Vibrolux Reverb RI (sounds like:moon ) a set of nuts that no one in the room could believe. And at $149, thats not bad

16. journo

journo Member

Hi,

This pedal is news to me. Any sound clips anywhere?

Cheers,

Mats N