Who makes the best echoplex clone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pfrischmann, Mar 11, 2006.

1. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Hi Guys,
    I love echoplexes. I hate caring for them. Has anybody run into a box (pedal) that can give you the vibe, that beautiful river of repeats and the general tone massage you get from an echoplex, without having tape spew on a gig.

I know about the TTES and the cornish. They are just so expensive. I'd like to get a consensus of the other choices.

Thanks,
    Paul

2. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

BTW,
    Generally speaking, I've always thought analog delays have sounded a bit harder than an echolpex (still better than digital). My experience is somewhat limited though.

3. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Fulltone TTE-check out the Instant Live Black Crowes shows from last summers tour to hear how amazing the TTE sounds. I have a Hiwatt CTE which is a smaller non-tube tape echo. it is very cool to and has a shortmode and a long mode and a third mode to combine them for a pseudo Space Echo thing.

4. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

The DLS actually has that feel

5. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

I'm still using my Hughes & Kettner Replex for that same purpose. It does color the tone a bit so I tried several tubes in place of the stock Ruby 12AX7. I ended up settling on a NOS Mullard 12AT7, it's not as dark and bassy now, much clearer repeats with enough drive if needed.

6. threm

threm Member

From a HCFX post by Olle, just a little edited

"There`s a swedish guy, Kjelle Ternström, who made a protype of a pedal he called the Memoryplex. Mostly only vintage parts, silver mica caps, vintage transistors etc., simulating a tape echo but with modern features. Up to 770mS, two different switchable speeds/feedbacks and two different swithable levels.One of the levels go from true bypass. Single, dual and triple heads.
    Stereo outputs, mixknob, feedback feature."
    "Compared to the Fulltone TTE which i had before, this Memoryplex is a clear winner....no doubt about that. More features, no noise, excellent sound....cant think of anything this box could be improved. Well also it has a built tap-in-feature which you connect a taptempo pedal to. Cool !"

"I played it next to the echoczar and its in the same ballpark as the echozcar but of course it has that cool tape-wobble and stuff. Extremely musical....you get 100% inspriation when its on....also it sounds great with any fuzz or distortion you feed it with. Its dead quiet. It seriously kicks ass. The cost of making this must have been a fortune, but Kjelle told me he is gonna make a few custom orders if he can find all the parts needed. If you need something extra and have loads of cash lying around...you should contact Kjelle for more info."

[​IMG]

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=964233&highlight=memoryplex

I`ve got a couple of great close up pics of the Memoryplex. How do I upload pics from an email or the harddisk?
    If I try to copy I just get this [​IMG] .

7. moodog

moodog Member

The Ibanez DE-7 sounds almost identical to an Echoplex with a clean tape.

8. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

The Memoryplex sounds quite interesting.
    Does anyone know if Kjelle Ternström went beyond the prototype phase and is actually making these?
    If so, does he have a website?

9. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Memory Plex? OMG. Need more info!

10. threm

threm Member

If someone is interested in Kjells mail adress you can mail me at
    trem@broadpark.no.

Last mail I had from him was late June 05. He then wrote that if he went beyond the proto stage it wouldn`t be before Sept.05. I don`t know what happened after this.

Warning - The Memryplex ain`t cheap. :jo

I`m still interested in any suggestions on how I can upload a couple of great pics from Kjells mail (or from my harddisk) to this thread.

11. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

12. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

I have a TTE & I've played many vintage Echoplexes - I've never heard a stompbox NAIL the tone you're looking for - I'm sure some of 'em come close though. Nothing sounds like a TTE - if you've played/owned one, then you know! :Devil

13. threm

threm Member

When I asked the same I was told
    "It takes a lot NOS parts to build like this. Hard to keep the price down but around 10.000 SEK - in best case. But it`s hard to say at this moment"

Todays currency converter tells me that
    10.000SEK = 1.268.54 USD