Who makes the best Marshall Plexi software?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by eicca, Jan 14, 2018.

1. madmarcus1960

madmarcus1960 Member

Honestly, I own most of them(cuz im'a GASsy whore:eek:), but since I bought my Kemper, I hardly ever use VSTs.

2. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

I agree — all of the software with 'supplemental purchasing options' have always been deterrents to my buying into their systems. I get that they want you to get in at a low price and then sell you on everything that's missing. But that bizmodel keeps me out. When I try a piece of software like amplitube and every device I select brings up a Buy dialog box, it's a turnoff. At least gray out the options unavailable to me so I can see them at a glance rather than get the Curse Panel.

Wish there were a base, cheap package, still with a decent range of options, and then the ONE upgrade that gives you everything. I don't want a five dollar charge to get one Klon pedal sim. Or thirty bucks for a package of one manufacturers amps.

That all said, i like the Bias implementations and tones. A LOT of fun. Amplitube always frustrates me, even though I don't know specifically why. Its UI SEEMS nice, but I hate using it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    madmarcus1960 likes this.
  3. eicca

eicca Member

I may try Bias first. After looking into it, I may be able to accomplish my goal of Marshall head, attenuator leading to effects and EQs instead of a speaker, into another head and then finally to a 4x12 cab.

4. North

North Member

As much as I love S-Gear overall, for the pure, raw Marshall sound, I think Mercuriall Spark, is a little better.

JiveTurkey and madmarcus1960 like this.
  5. Libre

Libre Member

I agree w/ those who've said there are tasty Marshall sounds to be had in AmpliTube 4. I have most of the AT4 stuff, a lot of the BIAS stuff, a handful of Brainworx & Kazrog stuff, and S-Gear—they all get used and all have their strengths & weaknesses.

I had AT4 out of the rotation for a while tho and have been revisiting again it lately—I agree on what's been said re: the Red Pig but also the "JH Gold" (Marshall JTM45) into the stock 412 w/ greenbacks or a really good 412 greenback IR, dialed in per Pete Thorn's method, can produce satisfying classic Marshall tone IMO. I advise dialing the amp just like PT and then adjust the signal hitting the plugin (e.g. using the AT4 "input" knob) to match the same subjective gain/sat/crunch level as in the PT vid. The amp should then be dialed in just right for your rig and respond very similarly to the vid (at least that was my experience).

FWIW the JH Gold can be purchased separately and in fact has been given away as a freebie in the past.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  6. gbtommasi

gbtommasi Member

I have almost all of them, apart UAD, and used them all live also. Speaking Marshall, I think Mercuriall Spark is the closest. If you have ever played a Plexi or a JCM800, you close your eyes and the amp really seems to be there. But it is very heavy on CPU if you use high oversampling (and there's a good reason why). Thermionik also is very, very good. S Gear will not bring you into higher gain territories but it is also very nice. AT4, it's fine, but I always end to use it for effects rather than for amps. Bias, as someone else said, can be good, but it is not so "out of the box". You have to tweak to get significant results, at least in my experience

JiveTurkey likes this.
  7. frthib

frthib Member

Best i found is Thermionik, in particular Jumpy79J or Jumpy79S who are Marshall '79 JMP (Jose Arredondo mod) and Marshall '79 JMP (Mike Soldano mod)..
    Spark is very close, second best. The chorus/doubling effect in spark in very good. If sometimes use spark just for the effects ;)

8. cwlivingston

cwlivingston Member

Older thread I know, but I just came upon it. I’ve had Spark for about a year, so I can speak from outside the honeymoon phase. It’s phenomenal. The realism and depth are stellar. I haven’t tried the UAD, but it’s very difficult to imagine that there could be much, if any, difference in quality.

It does have some faults. Like virtually all amp sim plugins, the tone gets icepicky and thin if you turn the gain down. It won’t do a Fender-y JTM45 clean tone. It just won’t. For the best results, you’ll want to start at no less than AC/DC crunch and go up from there. But dang, that crunch is good.

The selection of amps is a little thin. Yes the AFD sounds exactly right, but is that a better choice than, say, a JTM45 or Jube? Would also like to see a ‘66 or ‘67 lead circuit as opposed to only the ‘68 (which is just flat out VH and nothing else).

And no jumpering on the 4 hole NMV’s - what the heck? For that matter, why even have gain controls on the NMV’s? Seems unnecessarily complicated and completely unneeded since it’s a plug-in.

But it does what it does very, very well. Great plug-in.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  9. USERNAMETAKEN

USERNAMETAKEN Member

I agree the UAD Marshall is really nice and comes bundled with the interface. Next to no latency and unison tech for great feel. As a Kemper owner I was seriously impressed.

Most vsts sound like toys compared imho and the latency kills it.

ryandfl likes this.
  10. Leon Todd

Leon Todd Member

Software? Mercuriall Spark.

11. MrLobo

MrLobo Member

Mercurial Spark is very good. Another very good option is Kuassa Amplifikation Caliburn!

12. BillTrantos

BillTrantos Member

Mercuriall Spark is the no.1 I think, but I'm so glad Kuassa Amplifikation was mentioned, great Marshall tones there as well.

If you want something a bit more "mix ready", check out the Howard Benson STL Tonality plugin, it has a vintage Plexi Marshall model and a Wizard in there, I really like them as well.

My go to Marshall despite having all these plugins is Spark though.

JiveTurkey and Elric like this.
  13. cwlivingston

cwlivingston Member

Leon you’ve got the best Spark demo on YouTube:

I can’t believe more people don’t use it.

bbgie1223 likes this.
  14. Elric

Elric Member

Yes, the STL plug is very solid. It has gotten no love here but the thing that is most impressive about that one is how good it sounds straight out of the gate with no screwing around. Helix Native deserves a mention too. In addition to crowd favorite Spark...

BillTrantos likes this.
  15. primemover12

primemover12 Member

Just thought I'd point out that Spark's on sale for 50% off. For $60, it's pretty damned great.

16. BillTrantos

BillTrantos Member

In my opinion the STL Howard Benson is by far the best plugin for re-amping purposes. For demos you don't even have to post EQ anything. I could easily live with that alone, but I like a bit more low end when I practice and this plugin has a signature sound, very pronounced high mids, which make it ideal for guitar recorded tones, but a bit strange to the ear while in isolation.

17. bbgie1223

bbgie1223 Supporting Member

Just freaking excellent!!