Who makes the best Octave/Bass simulator FX pedal??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rod, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I'm going to get an RC-50 looper, and I want to be able to put Bass tracks in the loops...[I'm a guitarist]...but don't want to have to switch to bass for doing it live...Who makes the best Octave/Bass simulator FX box out there?? [Thankx for the help!]

2. Groovysnoopy113

Groovysnoopy113 Member

Boss Oc-2: sounds a little synthie and can only track one note at a time.

Original Digitech Whammy: Does a great job

EHX POG : Is the best in the business to date, you can play chords and the sound quality is superb

EHX Micro POG: Same circuit as the bigger POG but a 1/4 of the size. Only does Ocatave below, Octave above, and original signal...all in a die cast true bypass stomp box. A must for any player

FoxRox OCtron: Great tracking ability a little pricey but sounds great. A little, big pedal.

HOpe this helps

3. Rod

Thankx Groovysnoopy113!!!!!!!!!

4. Rod

Thankx devnulljp..I'll look into the FoxRox...anyone with any other suggestions?? Thankx

5. Rod

Anyone else have octave box ideas??

6. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

the boss is sucky for bass.... I never even try it anymore. As far as tracking and overall sound I think the TC Electronic G Major and G System work best... but they are multis.

7. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

+1 on Octron.
    I've got the Octron 2 and love all the control it offers over each of the Octaves (up, down or "direct")

8. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

I just got a Boss OC-3, and while I can't imagine it being a "best", it does one thing kind of neat. In the polyphonic mode, you can play chords, but set the pedal so it only blends in a lower octave when you are playing a certain range notes on the lowest string(s). I have it set so the lowest octave on the guitar brings in the bass notes. Volume of the bass isn't as even as I'd like--seems to be good & strong when I play a low G through maybe B, but when I play the lowest notes--E, F & F#, the bass note generated seems to drop in volume. The pedal has a separate output for the bass notes--I'm going to try a compressor on it to see if that will even it out a bit. The tracking in this mode seems really good! I believe that may be because it (may be) based on harmonizer technology, and not monophonic pitch follower type circuitry.

I'm playing with a guy who is playing acoustic guitar and a percussionist. I look at it as an effected guitar sound in some ways--gives me a nice deep sounding guitar to fill things in. :)

9. danut

danut Member

On a side note, does any of these pedals have latency? I'm currently using a Digitech XP-100 Whammy/Wah for octave sounds and, while the tracking is very good, it has a bit of latency, which is annoying when playing faster lines...

10. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

The Danelectro Chili Dog is amazing. The one I had was way better than any boss I've used; I stupidly sold it and bought another but the second one didn't track nearly as well (i.e. about as well as the boss)

TG

11. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

I use EH Octave Multiplexer which tracks poorly, gets easily confused by complex signals or simple chords, and has a synthy, grainy feel.

I love it.

DS

12. Rod

I bought a Digitech Whammy and a Boss OC-2., but both of them track really poorly, [and I'm a very clean/precise, pick player]

13. LL1

LL1 Member

tried most of the ones above,,,Octron probably my favorite, very tight and deep. Beat out my old Mutron Divider.
    Ibanez made a OT10 that does octave down bass sim very nice, would be my pick after the Octron especially for its small size.
    Original Whammy does a decent job too,,tracks fine for me I do not find it as deep as the Octron.

14. mprvise

mprvise Member

Another vote for the Octron. Best I've found.

15. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

I tried an OM out in a store recently, and thought it sounded pretty cool. I would've bought it, except that on anything longer than eighth notes, it sputtered badly, almost like it was shorting out. Does yours ever do that on longer notes?

16. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Yes. I love that about it.

My organist handles the low end with his left hand. I double his parts with OM and the poor tracking, synthy sound, and sputtering adds great movement and texture to the pieces. Unlike some people here, I use effects to get "effects", to make guitar sound different. If I want to play bass, I play bass or organist plays bass lines. I like to switch in OM when soloing with fuzz...that confuses hell out of OM and on some lines brings in the chaos needed to climax a solo.

Very cool sound for me. But I understand others look for different sounds. All good!

DS

17. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

Thanks, DS!

I can see where that would be pretty cool for certain types of music. I was thinking of using it for some jazzier stuff, and the sputtering wouldn't fit in quite so well. :)

18. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art

The MXR blue box is great. I love the feel it has on guitar. Very reasonable price wise too. Under 80.00 new.