Who Makes The Best Octave Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 20forSeven, Oct 14, 2005.

1. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

I'm interested in getting cool octave sounds and I'm not sure which one I should buy. Fulltone, KR music, Boss, others?

2. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

Foxrox Octron -- octave up (clean or dirty via internal trimmer) and octave down....footswitch for each. Check out his website for samples.

3. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
  4. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

The Octron is fashionable right now, but happen to prefer the Fulltone Octafuzz (for Hendrix style octave effects).

5. Mark Barratt

Mark Barratt Supporting Member

The Octron by a mile !!!!!!!!!!!

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I just got turned on to KR...MAN...the vibe sounds fantastic, and the octave too. I mean just from hearing the samples on the site, I don't own any.

I've owned the captain coconuts 2 (octave-up, germanium fuzz, and vibe all in one) and though I was mightily impressed with it, it didn't fit my needs exactly. BUT, for the octave up, it was the best I've played yet.

Here's the thing. Do you want octave up only (pretty damn cool)?
    If so, the one in the CC2 is the best I think...just amazing. But it is expensive, it is a large pedal.

Another GREAT octave up is the Homebrew Electronics (HBE) UFO pedal. It has the added advantage of a fuzz that is seperate, it is a MXR-size pedal, and it is KILLER!! Really can't go wrong with it. I still have that one.

But if you want the ability to have both up and down, and mix them to whatever degree you want, AND have a killer up-octave (you can always turn off the down octave, mix it in subtly, and mix either/both with the original signal as much or little as you want) then it has to be.....OCTRON (by Foxrox).

I just got mine about three weeks ago, and it is fantastic. Probably because memories make it always better than it was, I still have a nagging feeling like the one in the CC2 was "better", but keep in mind, I haven't played around enough yet with my Octron, and it is fantastic, and it isn't too big, AND I am pretty sure as soon as I get some time I can get the exact same octave sound mixed in by playing with the three knobs (well, actually two, I like the up-octave the best) ...the thing about the CC2 octave is, it had two knobs but I only liked tweaking one of them, and it made great sounds.

So, really, the Octron is the best of the lot. BUT if you would like a fuzz in there as well, and small pedal, and don't care about octave down, the HBE is a great pedal too.

I just realized, I never have had a "bad" octave stompbox.
    I also owned the much cheaper and easier to try out Boss Oc-2, but it only has down (1 and 2 octaves) but it does a nice job with that.

So basically, with any of the ones I mentioned you can't go wrong. Depends on what you want. I think the CC2 and the Octron have the best...what's that called? where it can fade out a little and then come back in?

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

how's the electro harmonix POG?

8. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Hey, are there any octave pedals where you can set the frequency that the octave starts coming into play? Like, have the down octave work only on the open D string and lower frequencies?

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I know with my RP-7 multt-effects you can. You can set harmony levels for 3rds, 5ths, etc. But not in analog pedals...

10. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

I think it depends on what your rig is

Some octaves sound better with heavy gain and humbuckers... others sound better with tasteful OD and a strat... Some are spacey sounding... etc

For high gain and humbuckers or thick fuzz I like the way the zvex johnny octave slices through the mix

For lower gain combo amp deal I absolutely LOVE the fulltone. Really a haunted sounding spacey pedal.. not as conventional sounding as the other FULLTONE pedals

Best octave down I've played is the EBS for a warm thick octave doubler (tracks really well)

Foxrox makes excellent pedals too... but they just don't seem to vibe well with my particular style

11. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Fulltone Octafuzz is my favorite.

12. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

I'm going to elaborate a bit, but it really takes hearing them to get it.

The Fulltone Octafuzz and its variants add octave variably depending on where about on the neck you're playing. The Octron adds octave more or less all over. It's right there, BAM! Octave. That's great if that's what you're trying to do, but if you're trying to cop the "Band of Gypsies" thing, it's a different effect, so it's hard to compare the two.

No, the Octron "Octavia mode" jumper doesn't make it the same.

p.s. Dave Fox, if you're reading this, I think you make great pedals, but your new habit of making the on/off switch PCB mounted is a big let down. I'm sure it saves dollars, but *yuck*.

13. Dave Fox

Dave Fox Senior Pedalmaker

Hi Alex, someone emailed me about your post so I thought I'd jump in.

Do me a favor - elaborate on why you react to the switch PCB with "yuck".

14. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

Hi Dave,

Sure. You make pedals that I consider to be top-of-the-line, and tonally outstanding. I think your CC2 will be looked back on as a true "classic" and a collector's item.

However, when I'm buying "boutique" pedals, I hope that the parts that degrade over time (switches, pots, etc.) are implemented in a manner than allows for a quick replacement "in the field" without possibly degrading the traces. I guess if I kept a spare PCB switch component on hand it wouldn't be an issue, but otherwise I found it to be a let-down considering the lack of economies you've made elsewhere.

Take it or leave it, I'm probably being stupidly picky so please forgive me and just take it as feedback. It would have been more appropriate for me to make that comment to you offline rather than in a forum. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

15. Dave Fox

Fair enough. I'll explain exactly why I use a pcb on the foot switch.

I hate soldering wires to the blue 3PDT switches. And I don’t trust others to do it right. Those switches are great, but you only get one chance to wire them neatly and if you’re even the slightest bit sloppy you can damage the switch or end up with a switch that will eventually fail. The solder tabs can’t take much heat before the plastic melts and if that happens, or if flux gets into the switch, it’s all over.

So the remedy was to design a small PCB that would neatly go onto the switch and bring those 8 connections to better terminations that are more uniform, and all on-switch jumper connections are made on the PCB. No frayed wires, solder blobs, burned fingertips or trashed switches to deal with.

>>manner than allows for a quick replacement "in the field" without possibly

I think that anyone qualified to replace a footswitch can replace it on the PCB faster, easier, and with less chance of trashing the new switch. Use a solder sucker and it’s a piece of cake. BTW, I’ve used over 1000 of these blue footswitches without any confirmed failures. I think the process of soldering wires to those switches is a major cause of the problems people have had with them.

>>I found it to be a let-down considering the lack of economies you've made elsewhere.

Those foot switches are another “lack of economies”. It costs me more money to buy the PCBs and go through the added process of soldering them on the switches. I could lower the price of Octron by soldering direct to the switch, but the product wouldn’t be as good.

And there are added benefits/functions, too. The board has a circuit to keep the LED from causing any pop (it was a problem on the Octron prototype) and it holds the battery in place.

I love the little PCB on the foot switch, with all it’s benefits… even if it makes my pedals more expensive and time consuming to build. You’ll probably see other pedal makers doing the same thing, it only makes sense. Mark my words! (by the way, I don’t claim to have invented the concept)

Believe me Alex, I put a lot of thought into everything I design, but cutting costs is where I fall short.

Just so people know what we’re talking about – take a look at the green board that’s in the middle of the box, it’s soldered to the foot switch.
    [​IMG]

Listen to Bob Dylan forget the words to his biggest hit!
    http://www.foxroxelectronics.com/Resources/Bob is drunk.mp3

Multicellular and WWW like this.
  16. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

OK, there it is, you've eloquently proven that amature electronics hacks like me don't know what the hell we're talking about - I'd never have guessed that the PCB design is more costly and time consuming!

Dave, thanks for taking the time to go into such detail to explain why you chose that design.

17. Dave Fox

Thanks for bringing it up. If your initial impression of the switch pcb was a huge let down, then others must feel that way too and I'd hate for that to be the case. I'll start an Octron FAQ page that addresses the switch PCB so others know what's up with it.

BTW, I just heard from Charlie Sexton - he loves his new Octron!

Multicellular and James like this.
  18. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

Thanks guys for addressing this. I wasn't concerned about it but I certainly did learn a thing or two from reading it (me bad for getting flux in my switches when I change them:( ) Excellent question and explanation.

19. rocketboss

rocketboss Supporting Member

Mutron Octave Divider! One of my favorite pedals. Love It! More and more every day. Its got the RINGER!

Nick :)?D)

20. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

How about J Evermann's Octave-X?

I ma considering that as well as the octron.

Hey dave, while you're looking on here. Any chance the jumper could become a switch and the gain trimmer could be external?

It'd be great to be able to tweak those settings mid-set.