Who Makes the best Plexi Replica.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by redplexi, May 30, 2005.

1. redplexi

redplexi Member

What boutique maker is making a true to spec and more reliable 50 watt Plexi Head.

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Germino & Blockhead are pretty good.

3. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

+1

Germino

<M

4. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

5. SBlue

SBlue Silver Supporting Member

If you want an exactly replica, the Blockhead is the way to go, IMHO. If you want a great replica, there are a lot in them in the market(Germino, Roccaforte, etc...). If you want a Marshall plexi, why not wait for the 1959 100W hand wired that Marshall will release soon?

6. bjm007

bjm007 Member

Germino !!!!!!!!!

Best 50 I've played. I have a bunch of them now... Even better than most of the real vintage Marshalls I've owned over the years...

Greg's a great builder and a pleasure to talk with. His build quality, customer service, knowledge and attitude are second to none.

7. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

i haven't tried the blockhead but hear great things about it.
    i have heard the handwired marshall. my peacemaker blows it out fully.

8. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I think you guys are doing Greg Germino a disservice by calling his amps "plexi replicas". They're certainly Marshall-inspired, but replicas? Greg's past the point of cloning, and puts his own ideas into his amp designs. According to his Web site, only the Classic 45 appears to be close to a replica.

Blockhead, on the other hand, makes exact clones of Marshall's original designs, and they admit it up front.

Just my two cents. Tom

9. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

From my conversations with Greg, the Lead 55 is basically a "clone" of a late 60's (68-69) Marshall with a split cathode on V1. What exactly constitutes a "clone"? Strictly speaking, you would have to use exactly the same parts to build the amp and clearly that is impossible to do for anything more than a one-off. Greg told me that he spends a lot of time doing head-to-head comparisons with his vintage Marshalls and tries to match voltages at critical points in the circuit, etc. Couple that with custom-wound transformers and his critical eras and you end up with an EXTREMELY close sonic clone of that period Marshall amp. So I guess that would be my definition of a clone - that it sonically reiterates the amp it is trying to emulate. At some level, who cares what parts are sitting inside of it?

That said, we all know that those old Marshalls did vary quite a bit in tone, so I am sure that Greg's lead 55, for instance, can't possibly sound like every old Marshall in existence. At the last NYC tonefest, my Germino was played right after Chi's '68 Marshall, and it was so close in tone that it was scary. I was extremely surprised.

I don't think it is necessarily doing Greg a disservice to say that his amps sound like a great old Marshall. I do agree that saying he is merely "cloning" them does somewhat diminish the amount of effort he puts into making each of those amps sound the best they can. I would venture to say that Greg's amps might be a lot more consistent in tone from one amp to the next than those old Marshalls. That's a heck of an accomplishment right there.

Maybe Greg will chime in with his point of view - Greg, you out there?

Steve

PS - If it wasn't clear, I would definitely recommend you check out the Germinos if you are jonesin' for Marshall tone. Obviously, there are lot of great options with other amps mentioned here too, but the Germinos deserve at least a listen. Nice, nice amps.

10. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I played 2 '74 marshalls this weekend that both kicked major booty. I prefer the early 70s Marshalls to the Plexis, myself.

Do the old Marshalls have reliability issues?? I thought most were pretty stable/reliable? is that why you want to go boutique?

11. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

Well said Sampleinajar!

I've owned both a Blockhead and multiple Germino amps. I don't get why people call Blockheads replicas and say Germino's amps are not. I too have spoken with Greg more than a few times and he has lead to believe he is trying to replicate the best of old Marshall circuits and tones... nothing else. Based on what I have heard and seen, Greg is doing a better job than Block at creating that old tone. Strictly my opinion of course.

I've built quite a few amps for quite a few years and know a resistor from a capacitor... I would like somebody to explain to me the technical differences between Blockhead circuits and Germino's... cosmetics aside. What makes one an "exact replica" and the other just "Marshall inspired"?

:confused:

<M

12. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

Sorry Doug no insult intended. Guess he did say clone I was giving ones I thought to be close. No harm intended.

13. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

No problem, I was just clearing the air.
    I'm not into the whole cloning thing,
    I have enough great original examples
    to keep me happy!