• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Who makes the best Silverface Fender?

keithb7

A Quad Reverb would be cheaper to buy a used original, versus trying to build one. Parts add up fast.
What is your goal? To find a more modern build equivalent? Maybe a SF Twin Reverb would make a close replacement. If patient, the SF TR can be had for a pretty low price.

How bad is the damage on your QR? Could get a replacement cab, chassis, speakers etc.

There's a '74 for sale local to me. I can put you in touch with the seller if you want. I'm in CT. Shipping will be expensive, but it's cheap. $500 obo.

wildshoetwt

That is a shitload of amp. You playing stadiums, unmic'd?
I played with the Fender QR and an Orange AD140TC into a 2x12 Bassman cab in stereo :D. I am not sure why the QR was not louder, maybe old tubes, anyway it got breakup right where I needed it which was perfect, gonna miss it.

Broomz

I played with the Fender QR and an Orange AD140TC into a 2x12 Bassman cab in stereo :D. I am not sure why the QR was not louder, maybe old tubes, anyway it got breakup right where I needed it which was perfect, gonna miss it.
2x12 Bassman, huh? Weak. You need 8 12s. Go big or go home!

davidespinosa

Gold Supporting Member
That's a 100 watt amp -- what speaker was in that cab?
Sounds like it was broken -- but its replacement might not be!

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
I'm thinking it's time to step up to SRV's old rig. 150w SSS, 200w Marshall Major, 2 BF Vibroverbs, 2 BF Super Reverbs, 2 Mesa 4x12s loaded with EVs, Fender Vibratone. Easily enough juice for a good size club gig.

bschultzjames

Quad reverbs can be had cheap locally, or semi locally depending on how far you're willing to drive. There's a lot of them out there. If you can't find one quickly the Ampeg v4 as mentioned earlier is a great choice.

wildshoetwt

Quad reverbs can be had cheap locally, or semi locally depending on how far you're willing to drive. There's a lot of them out there. If you can't find one quickly the Ampeg v4 as mentioned earlier is a great choice.
As I mentioned earlier, the QR was not as loud as it should have been, probably had old tubes or something. If I wanted to downsize, what should I look into? I play mid-sized concert venues where it's fine to be "too loud", so I'm not worried about volume so much as getting a good amount of that thick Fender breakup that you can only get when pushing the tubes.

the OP had a rig that worked for him and people are making jokes about it...

I bet he's a better player tho so jokes on you.
Doesn't bother me that people don't get it. I use the Orange mostly as a background washed-out voicing to give the Fender some depth, midrange crunch, and some thickness in the top end. The Fender is the foundation of my tone, I keep it tight, for the attack, the bass, and the chime/treble. When you put the two together in stereo it's amazing. I recently bought a Catapulp (Wampler Orange-flavored OD) and a Boss LS-2 to mix it into my clean signal, and was just on the verge of selling the AD-140TC. Then the Fender got thrashed in an accident, so now I'm looking to replace that first. But I have to say the Catapulp is an amazing little pedal that is going to save me alot of of sweat and tears moving that Orange head and the bassman cab.

I'm with the others: best to get yourself another Fender. Silverfaces can still be had fairly cheaply if you look around.

dcbc

Is trick question? Best SF Fenders were built BY Fender, from late 60s to early 70s. After that, still good but earlier is better.
This isn't necessarily true with the big Fenders. CBS/Fender did some odd things to the schematic for the big amps in 1968. I think it was corrected by 1969 or so. So, for some, 70 or 71 might be the sweet spot, i.e., before particle board cabs and master volume. That said, I have a particle board 73 DR that sounds unreal. Just depends, sometimes.

55GibsonLPJR

This isn't necessarily true with the big Fenders. CBS/Fender did some odd things to the schematic for the big amps in 1968. I think it was corrected by 1969 or so. So, for some, 70 or 71 might be the sweet spot, i.e., before particle board cabs and master volume. That said, I have a particle board 73 DR that sounds unreal. Just depends, sometimes.
I think late 75 / early 76' they went to particle board but i really don't notice THAT much of a difference in souund.......man a Quad Reverb is one HEAVY amp too! Damn

rufedges

That amplifier is a monster!! .......no way that thing would ever leave my house. I'm not aware of any current boutique builds for a quad reverb, this is actually the first time I have ever heard of this amplifier, and I'm pretty well schooled in Fender amp models. I second some of the others, maybe a TR would ft the bill. But, not sure what circuit was in the quad, I'm a fan of the AB 763 myself.

If you are looking for a legit hand-wired black face amp with some of the extra tweaks Leo should have put on them, and have the scratch, I highly recommend Rick at Vintage Sound amps, check out his models.

http://vintagesoundamps.com/shop/

I also bet he would know what amp would be the most similar, if you can't find a used one for sale, or want a newer production version. Good luck.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom