Who makes the best single-sized humbucker for Strats?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by runningman, Dec 30, 2018.

1. runningman

runningman Member

I'm fixin' to grab a vintage-style Strat--like an American Original or EJ--which will almost certainly be routed for SSS.

I have no use for the traditional Strat bridge p'up, but I'd prefer to avoid routing a good guitar for a humbucker.

I've had limited experience with Duncan JB Jr. and Little '59s, but I found them somewhat lacking.

Is there a single-sized HB on the market that sounds close to a good PAF-style humbucker?

2. sedawkgrep

sedawkgrep Silver Supporting Member

Dimarzio Pro Track is EXACTLY what you’re asking for.

9fingers likes this.
  3. Bogner

Bogner Member

The one you personally like the most for your specific guitar. :)

freedom's door likes this.
  4. runningman

runningman Member

Is that anything like the 36th Anniversary HB? I have that one in another Strat, and I like it a lot

see above

5. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

I have a DiMarzio Fast Track 2 in the bridge position that sounds great. I like it better than the Duncan Hot Rails...

6. sedawkgrep

sedawkgrep Silver Supporting Member

Never played a 36th in the bridge in a strat style guitar. However the pro track is exactly the PAF sound. If you haven’t, read dimarzios description of it.

7. storm319

storm319 Member

For closest to an articulate paf style, the SD lil 59 or custom shop lil Pearly Gates are probably your best bet. If you are looking for something fatter and less dynamic, try the Dimarzio Protrack although I personally find rail based pickups to be overly flat from a dynamic perspective.

If you are looking for higher output, the rail pickups with attenuated highs like the Dimarzio Tonezone S or BC2 get closest to a real high output humbucker.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    custom53 likes this.
  8. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Another vote for DiMarzio Pro Track.

sedawkgrep likes this.
  9. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

You could try a DiMarzio. Email them and tell them what you want. They'll probably set you right.

sedawkgrep likes this.
  10. Mincer

Mincer Member

I always liked the Little 59. The Red Devil is a good choice of you want something hotter, but not as hot as a JB Jr. For something warmer, a neck Hot Rails in the bridge is a great choice in a Strat, too.

11. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

I had the same issue a while ago and after a lot of swapping in and out end up with a Zexcoil Juicy Bucker in the bridge. That pickup sounds great, very powerful, but not brash or lacking like some of the other minis I tried.

Zexcoil also make a couple of dedicated PAF flavoured pickups that might fit the bill too:

Zexcoil likes this.
  12. Stormin

Stormin Tele's and Plexis Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

If you can find the older Little ‘59, they sound better to me than the newer ones. The older one has a cloth tape wrap around the bobbins, under the top plate. The newer one has a molded cover that goes around and seals the whole unit.

I’ve had an original one in my 1968 Strat since the 90’s and it sounds fantastic in that guitar.