Who makes the best sounding EL34's in Production Today?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Rod, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Hi folks...I need some advise..Who makes the best current production EL34's today, and where can I buy them.??..with thankx, Rod www.motorkings.com:cool:

2. thintele

thintele Member

I like the JJs as far as tone and reliability. The winged C or SED are also pretty good ...The JJs tend to be a little "stiffer" whereas the SED will break up a little earlier.

3. raz

raz Member

I'm digging the hell out of JJ E34L's in my Flexi. And I haven't historically been a fan of EL-34's.

4. Roe

Roe Member

Several people have claimed almost the opposite. I suppose it depends on the amp and biasing

5. Roe

Roe Member

I've read several reviews recently. almost everyone recommends jjs or sed "C"s. I've seen a few more recommendation of the sed than the jjs.

jj e34l will give you more bass and power - they're is a bit darker than their el34. the best and cheapest place to buy them is eurotubes.com

6. Igneous

Igneous Supporting Member

I like the new sensor "mullards"

7. Rod

Hey Guys!! Thankx for your help!!! much appreciated...Rod:dude :dude :dude

8. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

Siemens can be had from Angela Instruments for about 130 bucks, they are real good sounding anyway. Hey Rod, you sound the same with 6l6's, El 84's, etc, just buy a set of whatever, and sound like the guy you are......thats what you told me years ago, and through all the Naylors, Victoria's, Dr.Z's, and old Marshalls, I sound like me every time. I miss the Guitar Warehouse, dont you?

9. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

Randall Aiken (of Aiken Amps) told me he likes the SED EL34's and I'm pretty sure that Germino amps come with SED EL34's stock.

In my opinion you can't go wrong with either JJ's or SED.

10. reaiken

reaiken Member

To my ears (and measuring equipment) the JJ's put out more power...but the SED's put out more tone. :)

The old Siemens were my favorite (I still have a stock of some old matched pairs, unfortunately they are splattered with that orange GT logo paint).

Randall Aiken

11. Igneous

Igneous Supporting Member

If im not mistaken, you can still nuy those siemens from the mesa website. I trhink its like 70bux a pair. siems good to me:)

12. Rod

Relicula must be Rick!!! hi..how are you??? I'm trying to get some Siemens from Angela Instruments as we speak...Thankx for the recommendation...The Motorkings CD is almost done!! will send you a copy.....RR:dude :dude :dude :dude

13. Erik

Erik Member

You're going to get a bunch of answers to this question as everyone's taste/ears are different. For new production tubes, my favorites are the Ruby EL34BSTR's. My favorite tube that I've actually played is the NOS Siemens 6CA7...just bought a set from Mike at KCA NOS Tubes...love the things. The Siemens don't have the bottom end of the Ruby's, but to my ear they're much more "musical" and sweet in the mids.

14. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

Cant fool you Rodger, grab a set of Siemens, they are really cool, and I cant wait to hear the cd, I visited the website for the Motorkings today, heard a couple of clips, sounded cool.

15. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    Depends on the amp. In my Rivera M60, winged Cs are the best of the bunch. In my Allen Class Act II, the SEDs and Chinese el34s beat the JJs and winged Cs. The JJs don't work well with these 2 amps. Yet every other amp I own sounds best with JJs (JJ el 84s in my blues jr., and JJ 6l6C in my GT Soul-O 45).

16. Rod

Thankx Rick!!!!!:cool:

17. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

I buy my JJs from Bob at Euro Tubes. Great customer service.

18. alanfc

alanfc Member

I have them in my Rivera R55 (Winged C's)

What are you using in your phase inverter position? Just curious I'm thinking of going back to 5751/12at7 there again.

19. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    I started with a Mullard 12at7, but the amp lost a lot of volume and oomph. Sounded weak for some reason. I ended up using an EH12ax7. This is my current tube setup: V1 EH12ax7--V2 Brimar CV4004--V3 Chinese 9th Gen 12ax7--V4 Rivera branded 12ax7--V5 EH 12ax7. This seems to be a good balance between the fender and marshall side of the amp.

Just curious, what are you using? I'm always looking to experiment.

20. alanfc

alanfc Member

OK thanks

I started with amp with the old 1993 12ax7A's that were in there. Then started learning about this stuff and trying everything I could afford.
    Started with GT 12ax7M in V1, that died on me, then put in an RFT in V1, that was fantastic. Oh yeah from the beginning I had a GE JAN 5751 in the PI and new Chinese in V2-v4. . THen oddly enough both the NOS RFT and the NOS 5751 started getting really noisy and horrid and I don't know what happened with that.
    Then to an EH 12ax7 in V1 and new Chinese in V2-v5. The EH had great detail and I loved it. Not as wet or gainy as the RFT though.
    A couple days ago I put in one of these Ruby 7025 "Silver Specials" in V1 and I like it even better. Sort of a happy medium between the RFT and the EH in terms of balls and detail.
    I am going to play around with more stuff in the PI pretty soon. I like having something to shop for, its fun. And cheaper than GAS'ing/buying/selling guitars and amps. This amp is all I need.:dude