Who makes the best string gauges?

ddog

Gold Supporting Member
bought one off ebay...works just fine,kind of like the solid measurement (all black).Little more readable.

Timtam

Fretguru has attempted the be-all-and-end-all version ...
- action gauge
- fret height gauge
- nut slot height aid
- fret rocker (3 edge lengths only)

But it's all imperial. Although there is a list of metric conversions printed on the back. With Stewmac you have to buy either the metric version or the imperial. Most of the Chinese ones have both metric and imperial scales on the one gauge.

larry1096

I got one off Amazon that seems easy to read and accurate (checked with a cheap caliper.) I think if you get down to it, ANY gauge will work for this, since you're only really making relative measurements; if you're keeping notes, what's important is that *this* ".040" matches the *other* "0.40" measurements you've taken.

If you routinely compared your measurements to some other, objective source, accuracy would be much more important, IMHO.

Larry

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
Good, readable 12" rule with inch and metric. I setup using metric - 2 mm at 17th on the low E, 1.5 mm 17th on the high E. IMO all that fraction stuff is a PITA.

bojocatkite

I got the baroque, it's difficult to read and not that precise. I use a smaller metal ruler all the time and thickness gauges for small measurements like for the neck bow (when you put a capo on the first fret and fret the 17th fret or higher and measure how high the string is over the ~9th fret). The best is definitely the LMI digital depth gauge though.

XSSIVE

D'Avanzo Guitars
Gold Supporting Member
I have the standard Stew Mac and the D'Addario and they're on par with the D'Addario having the bonus of being both standard and metric in one.

kanegon

Silver Supporting Member
I like the business card form factor. I can carry it in my wallet when visiting friends or browsing guitars. I also find it easier to use the 1/64ths rule on the sides (StewMac’s has two), because I can see exactly where the line is and Fender spec is measured in 64th increments. Makes a huge difference whether the string sits above, below or right on or partially on/off the line. You get the picture.

Last edited:

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
i keep trying all these neat variations and keep finding myself instead going right back to grabbing my regular ol' 6" machinist ruler, one with 32nds and 64ths on one side and mm on the other

that hosco thing looks interesting though, looks like a very different way of measuring all sorts of stuff

XSSIVE

D'Avanzo Guitars
Gold Supporting Member
i keep trying all these neat variations and keep finding myself instead going right back to grabbing my regular ol' 6" machinist ruler, one with 32nds and 64ths on one side and mm on the other

that hosco thing looks interesting though, looks like a very different way of measuring all sorts of stuff
I'm so used to the string action gauge rulers now after years of using the SM one that I think of action in terms of decimals automatically. My other go to ruler is this one with 32nds and 64ths on one side and metric in .5mm on the other...

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LYAP75I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member

don't leave home without it...lol
This brings back many memories. My dad was a master machinist and I grew up with different precision measuring devices being available for my use.

walterw

calipers are essential to lots of stuff but you'll have a hard time measuring string height with them

KGWagner

I like that Hosco gauge, too. I just wish it was calibrated in thousandths - I'd order one RFN. Be great for preliminary measuring of nut slot depth.

specialidiot

most likely to seceede
Fretguru has attempted the be-all-and-end-all version ...
- action gauge
- fret height gauge
- nut slot height aid
- fret rocker (3 edge lengths only)

But it's all imperial. Although there is a list of metric conversions printed on the back. With Stewmac you have to buy either the metric version or the imperial. Most of the Chinese ones have both metric and imperial scales on the one gauge.
yeah that action is a little high for me.

Gonna get a hosco!

Trending Topics