• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Who makes the most authentic PAF clone?

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
.... I'm sure this subject has been beat to death, but let's beat it just a little while longer. :horse

As I understand it, the original Gibson PAF bobbins were wound until they were full, so no attention was payed to having an even number of windings on each bobbin. They also were unpotted.

The current Gibson burstbuckers are supposed to replicate the PAF, however, they are potted and who knows if they use the same materials as the originals? .... I kind of doubt it. How about the zebra burstbuckers, are they a closer match to the originals?

What aftermarket company makes a decent and accurate sounding PAF?

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
The way I understand it, the PAFs were very inconsistent. Which brings up the question "what is a "good" PAF?" One man's good may be another man's mediocre.

So, that being the case, it seems to be impossible to say that an "authentic copy" of the PAF extists. Authentic copies of CERTAIN PAFs exists, but I don't think there's one PAF that can be called "THE" PAF, from which to make the one, authentic, clone.

All of that being said, the 1 PAF I seem to hear more & more about being pro player's "favorite PAF" are ones that come out of the 335's. Not that that's any help!

baumwolle

The current Gibson burstbuckers are supposed to replicate the PAF, however, they are potted and who knows if they use the same materials as the originals? .... I kind of doubt it. How about the zebra burstbuckers, are they a closer match to the originals?
Actually, BBs #1, #2 and #3 are unpotted, only the Pros are. Correct my if I'm wrong.

johnny q

Let's put it this way; my friend has a set of real PAF's in his R8 and we a/b'd them with my R9 that had Voodoo 59's and they were virtually indistinguishable. The real PAF's had a little more "authority" when playing single notes, but otherwise very close.

alberob

I have the VooDoo Florance pu's in my L.P..Played side by side with a friends Real 59 they are so similar it's amazing.Lollars are the other :AOKones I like.

EthanB

The PRS 57/08s are good... another one that comes close is the bareknuckle mule... Honestly tho, cloning a PAF is not what I'd spend my time doing if I were a builder. I'm as into vintage as the next guy, but how much time should we spend trying to recreate the past? I personally am a huge fan of creative reiteration.. but that's just me.

skeeterbuck

Your exactly right tweedy :horse

Trying to clone a PAF is like trying to shoot a moving target from a roller coaster.

PAF's vary so much and everyone has there own idea what a good one sounds like.

Many people think that we're in the golden age of guitar building. Well I think that we're also in the golden age of pickup winding. Just pick your personal favorite.

Lollar, Voodoo, WCR, Sheptone, Holmes, Throbak, etc. etc. etc. there all good!
Just different spices for the same recipe. :AOK

Dr. Tweedbucket

The only authentic PAF I've heard was in a 58 LP Custom. They sounded almost like P90s to me. The middle position on that guitar ( 3 pup ) sounded very Strat like... it was the weirdest thing. That guitar had a very bright, but distinct tone going on.

I love the P90 tone, so if I could find some PAF clones that got close to that sound, I'd love it.

RockStarNick

Gold Supporting Member
This thread is freaking me out... I thought Dr. Tweedbucket only asked wacky questions in the Pub...

This is perhaps the most normal question I've ever seen Tweed post!!! :roll

Dr. Tweedbucket

Actually, BBs #1, #2 and #3 are unpotted, only the Pros are. Correct my if I'm wrong.

I heard the early BBs were unpotted and the later ones were potted.

Dave Stephens "Vintage Labs" are the best I've heard. Listen for yourself......

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/526604

My G0 can't compare, acoustically to the '60 burst, but the pu's are almost indistinguishable from the paf's (if you close your eyes) or listen to the audio only clip.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/526604

dre

Cool, thanks I'll check it out.

Tiglath

I never liked Burstbuckers of any kind. It's as if Gibson forgot how to make good pickups.

Their '57 Classic is their only saving grace these day.

I believe Tom Holmes designed it.

It's not hard to get a good PAF bucker. From Tom Holmes custom made (at $280 each) to WSC ($32 each) all sound good.

I particularly like Wolftone's Marshallheads, Lollar's Imperial Humbuckers, WRC's Darkburst and Crossroads, and Joe Barden's bucker rails. Van Zandt makes good buckers too. Stay away from Duncan and DiMarzio... for my taste...

carnivore

I'm not positive who makes the best but...

I just put a set of DiMarzio 36th Aniversery's PAF's in my SG. They sound awesome. I had a authentic late fifties PAF in the neck of that guitar someone had given me over 30 years ago. Well I wanted to get it out due to it's value. After I installed the DiMarzio in it's place I though the guitar sounded better than with the real PAF. I liked it so much I put one in the bridge.

Bob V

Larry DiMarzio pointed out that he wasn't just trying to replicate or clone the pickups in his beloved '59 'Burst, he was trying to make a pickup that would sound like that when used in guitars that are made in today's factories. It all adds to the mystique, of course, but Gibson considers the Burstbucker 1 and 2 to be the closest thing to the original PAF's since that's what they use in the Historic Reissues (and no, they're not wax potted).

I think it's easier to pick up the phone to a custom winder like Lindy Fralin and say "I dig the tone that Dickey got on 'Fillmore," etc. than to say you want a PAF tone. "PAF" is just a starting point.

soldano16

I would think Trobak gets some sort of consideration since he's using the original winding machines that Gibson actually used.

Trending Topics