• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Who makes these?

sshan25

Supporting Member
Edit: I should have mentioned this originally. I am only interested in used. This should broaden my choices greatly.

I guess what I’m looking for is a kind of Les Paul/Tele hybrid under two grand. My requirements are: 25.5” scale. Bolt on neck. 12” radius or flatter. Med-jumbo or jumbo frets. Hard tail bridge. Two humbuckers. Everything else is negotiable. I would prefer made in US. I’m aware of the G&L ASAT Deluxes. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

teofilrocks

Silver Supporting Member
Hmm, if it wasn't for the bolt-on requirement, the Gibson Nighthawk would be interesting. Even has the hard tail as opposed to stop bar. But otherwise, it sounds to me like the Tele Deluxe arena is where you are at.

John C

Gold Supporting Member
I guess what I’m looking for is a kind of Les Paul/Tele hybrid under two grand. My requirements are: 25.5” scale. Bolt on neck. 12” radius or flatter. Med-jumbo or jumbo frets. Hard tail bridge. Two humbuckers. Everything else is negotiable. I would prefer made in US. I’m aware of the G&L ASAT Deluxes. Any other suggestions?
Actually you're now into special order range for the ASAT Deluxe if you have to have the 12" radius - as of July 2015 the standard neck shape is their "Modern Classic" (basically their version of a Fender American Standard neck shape) with a 9 1/2" radius. But you can get them with a 12" radius for an upcharge (or if you don't like that neck shape they have 8 other shapes to choose from - also for an upcharge).

Stop bar is ok. Are the FSR's US made?
I'm not sure which ones Peteyforto was referring to. The carved top Tele-styles I'm familiar with are made in Korea or Indonesia depending on the year (early ones are from Korea, later ones from Indonesia).

Does it need to have a maple top, or are you just looking for a 2-humbucker Tele-shaped guitar? If you can live without the maple top I would imagine you could turn up a used Anderson or Suhr for under $2K.

Fusionshred

Silver Supporting Member
Check out Kiesel. They are knocking them out of the park and you can custom-order a variety of options. They are a little limited on 22 fret models but I think there might be a 22 fret Tele shaped one coming soon.

sshan25

Supporting Member
Actually you're now into special order range for the ASAT Deluxe if you have to have the 12" radius - as of July 2015 the standard neck shape is their "Modern Classic" (basically their version of a Fender American Standard neck shape) with a 9 1/2" radius. But you can get them with a 12" radius for an upcharge (or if you don't like that neck shape they have 8 other shapes to choose from - also for an upcharge).

I'm not sure which ones Peteyforto was referring to. The carved top Tele-styles I'm familiar with are made in Korea or Indonesia depending on the year (early ones are from Korea, later ones from Indonesia).

Does it need to have a maple top, or are you just looking for a 2-humbucker Tele-shaped guitar? If you can live without the maple top I would imagine you could turn up a used Anderson or Suhr for under $2K.
I'm planning on buying used. I'm not sure what G&L was thinking by going to 9.5" as a default. That's one of the reasons I don't buy Fender. I honestly don't care what the top looks like. I'm going to check out both Anderson and Suhr.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
I'm not sure what G&L was thinking by going to 9.5" as a default.
We all have our preferences, all valid. But 9 1/2" was not exactly unheard of as a radius for similar guitars, as far as what they might have been thinking goes.

Timbit

I think that the carved top tele's mentioned above have a set neck (and maybe even a shorter scale...I can't recall).

How about Reverend? From a quick review of the website they have a Billy Corrigan Signature, the Flatroc (revtron pickups...that may not be what you are looking for), and the Charger HB. Not American made, but tick off all your other boxes...including the scale length and 12" radius.

mango

Pretty sure some Godins check most of those boxes you are looking for,and you could buy new for under your budget ,

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
Reverend makes great guitars that check most of your boxes. If not, put a custom together!

25.5” scale. Bolt on neck. 12” radius or flatter. Med-jumbo or jumbo frets. Hard tail bridge. Two humbuckers. Check all

sshan25

Supporting Member
We all have our preferences, all valid. But 9 1/2" was not exactly unheard of as a radius for similar guitars, as far as what they might have been thinking goes.
That's my point. Why do what everyone else does? I don't really care because l don't buy new guitars and there's plenty of used ones with 12" boards out there.

sshan25

Supporting Member
I think that the carved top tele's mentioned above have a set neck (and maybe even a shorter scale...I can't recall).

How about Reverend? From a quick review of the website they have a Billy Corrigan Signature, the Flatroc (revtron pickups...that may not be what you are looking for), and the Charger HB. Not American made, but tick off all your other boxes...including the scale length and 12" radius.
l have a Flatroc. Love it. Looking for something with standard humbuckers.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom