Who makes this amp? Big Iron, Big Voice British flavored amp but... Compact!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by trower, May 16, 2019.

1. Teleplayer

Teleplayer New Mods On The Block Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Is the iron that big or is the chassis 2" wide?

:D

SirGilmour likes this.
  2. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

3. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Yes, isn't that the truth. Rarely anyone hauls around Ford F-250's full of 4x12's to a backyard gig around anymore, why can't Marshall heads get smaller? Ton's of dead space in those heads that don't serve any purpose but to add weight and take up room in my vehicle. I would also ask why must the trannys usually end up near the same side making for a lopsided piece of gear. That's a tech question that probably has a reason but we can go to the moon? sheesh. Thanks my friend, Good to hear from you, I might hit up Gilmour.

Hey Tele, that's a monster combo, very cool. TopHat yea, I use to own a 50 Emplexador that was very vintage sounding as I recall. It's been many years but maybe I should look into them again. I had a tech add a loop in mine as it had space designated for the jacks. We (my tech) called TopHat and got great help from them while installing it. Great guy's over there! Ok, I'll look for him in the forum when I get sorted out, thank you for the input!

That sounds great! It's out of my price range but good info nonetheless...love that small box.

I'm speechless! and I'm salivating...if I was to find a 50 watt Plexi or JCM this size, I would close up shop, Take the Turkey out of the oven, Put the last nail in the coffin...well you get the idea.

Thank you, I actually live near him. Great guy too. Took a one off he built in for service years ago. Another guy I need to look back into! Thanks for the reminder!

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    MHG and LPMojoGL like this.
  4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Alessandro's stuff has the best volume to weight/size of anything I've seen. I had a Bloodhound, 2 6550s for maybe 70s clean watts. I don't need that kind of volume so I traded it for a 4XEL84 version. The only problem is no effects loop. You might want to talk to George about whether he'd do something for you. It'll cost a bit, though.

5. trower

Yup, This is incredibly cool. Out of my price range, especially if I ask for a loop and master but I'm playing Lotto...never know!
    This does however prove it!..It can be done in a small box/chassis!
    Thank you Dr. Bob

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  6. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Orange Rocker 30 comes to mind....No loop.....(at least I thought so) I recently saw a 2x10 version that had a loop. I haven't been following Orange and what they're up to lately, but if I were still a tube guy, I'd look for this loop version in a 1x12 or head. If not available, I'd grab this 2x10 and run it with a cab.

I loved that amp (I had the 1x12 combo....no loop)

Sounded huge!

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

My Bloodhound was the prototype: 6550s for even more kerrang! Yeah, if you could live without the loop, used Alessandros are not nearly as expensive.

8. Teleplayer

T-

Brian took the 50w Emplex and is now able to do it in either a small chassis head, 1x12 or 2x12 combo. His amps are better than ever. I have three Emplexadors - including a script logo circuit 50w head. He can do the Emplex Junior in Classic format (vintage side), High Gain (modern side) or as a full-on version that includes both sides. Brilliant amp in a small box/cab format.

The 1x12 Junior Classic could easily be a "desert island" amp. And as those of us that have been around long enough know, Brian has been knocking it out of the park for 25 years as a British amp circuit guru. The Emplex, King Royale and Club Royale are simply great amps that are fit for any pro stage. I have them all, along with a couple others that are crazy-great.

It's cool that Brian has decided to participate on TGP. His knowledge is second to none, and he'll be a great resource here as he learns the TGP ropes.

Good luck with your search!

fishleehooker, trower and Phil M like this.
  9. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Those new Emplex junior models look sweet. It would be hard to pick between the classic and the higher gain model.

10. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Bogner perhaps? The Atma is pretty amazing for its size:

He's also making a small Ecstasy which is pretty sweet. I'd take one of these over most of the modern Marshall stuff if you can afford it.

trower likes this.
  11. In Absentia

In Absentia Supporting Member

My CA has huge, sweet cleans, and I feel the Triptik 2 really leans towards to classic Marshall thing in tone, but with its own twist. It has more gain than you would ever need. The transformers are huge!

trower likes this.
  12. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I have a Ceriatone Yeti 100 with EL34s. It weighs in a 53 pounds from memory in a small headshell.

It scoped clean @ 140w. Their transformers are heavy and large.

A Ceriatone might fit in both girth/punchiness and also build quality/price point.

Darkburst likes this.
  13. Teleplayer

You don't have to - you can get the same "double-voiced" Emplex as the big head, but in the smaller chassis.

Phil M likes this.
  14. chumbucket

chumbucket Supporting Member

How about the new 50w Sound City amp from Fryette?

trower and Phloored like this.
  15. trower

Yup, I've been communicating with him.

16. trower

What's it look like? Did a quick search, didn't find anything

17. trower

He got back to me with a price quote. Let's just say, I can't afford it...wow!

18. EmandoDave

EmandoDave Member

The LA30BL mentioned before is a great amp. The Lionheart L20H gives you everything you ask for for under a grand. The Lionheart L50H gives you more than double the wattage for less than double the price. IMO Laney is underappreciated on TGP for its own unique Brit voice.

trower likes this.
  19. Nick79

Nick79 Member

Another vote for the LA30BL from me. I've got one, i love it. Biggest sounding 30w amp i've ever heard, just sounds huge.
    Piano like cleans, takes pedals better than anything i've ever tried and breaks up great.
    It doesn't have a loop, but it didn't stop me getting one, and i don't regret it.

EmandoDave likes this.
  20. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    Brunetti Pleximan amp.
    18 pounds, 50 watts and 5 loud watts, channel switching with separate clean volume channel, various tone switches, adjustable boost switch, JCM 800 switch, all footswitch controllable, buffered effects loop, all valve circuit, with no diodes, EL-34's.
    And it can get LOUD.

Less then $1,500 direct.

This is a Plexi the way it should be done to bring it into the 21st century.

info@brunetti.it

Matteo11 and trower like this.