Who makes this amp? Big Iron, Big Voice British flavored amp but... Compact!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by trower, May 16, 2019.

1. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

Thanks man!!

Maybe I just got lucky?? Who knows!!! LOL

2. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

Drifting about Tennessee in Marshall Heaven
    I bought a Frenzel Super Deluxe [Jim is great to work with!] when I knew very little about amps/circuits/EQ and what I was really looking for. Absolutely FABULOUS on the Fender side - not Marshall crunch/kerranggg enough for me. I've not found a lot of amps that do both sides equally well - being a Marshall fan I go there first. I get enough cleans to satisfy that occasional itch and all the drive tones I lust after.

Russ

S. F. Sorrow likes this.
  3. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Thanks, not alotta good clips/vid's on his stuff. What I can find they're run 6v6 tubes which do me no good and the dirts I can hear don't have me over excited. Man, good clips are everything when you don't know nothing about the product.

4. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

trower and davidespinosa like this.
  5. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Matchless King Cobra. One channel. Dual el34’s. Ef86 preamp. Reverb, tremelo, master volume and loop.

Huge iron, amazing cleans with swirl and sustain, very dynamic and incredibly rich. Nothing else like it. Best amp I have ever heard. I have been gigging mine since 2006.

So good, I have 2. A head and a 1x12 combo. Also, built like a tank by Phil and his great company. I can’t recommend it high enough. Hundreds of gigs on each amp, zero isssues and consistently great sound every time. LOVES boosts, ODs and fuzz pedals.

trower likes this.
  6. Furilla

Furilla Odd Bird Gold Supporting Member

You might take a look at a Benson Chimera w/ el34’s. It’s got its own thing going, but it’s big, open, and muscular and a good size for a head or 1x12 combo.

7. trower

I really can't live without a loop. These are 6V6 also. Would really need to try one, not really digging those tubes in past amps but ya never know!

Hey that looks great. How long did it take to get your amp from Ceriatone? and as much feedback on the amp tone's if you can, especially the bottom end it has...this is the amp Nik recommended I get for my needs (2204 w/Tab's in)

teofilrocks likes this.
  8. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

Thanks~ It took a little over 9 weeks in all. Ordered 3/22, delivered 6/03.

My perception of bass is still a little off right now. I’d been playing a Mesa Mark III w/ GEQ before the 2204 arrived. I’ve been keeping the bass below 11:00, and it doesn’t get flubby even with preamp and master volume just about maxed (it’s running into a loadbox). My favorite thing about this amp is how well it responds to rolling back the volume. I haven’t had the most extensive amp collection ever, but I can still say for certain that this circuit cleans up better than any amp I’ve owned. Which explains why I always struggled with single channel amps up to this point.

I know your comment about 6V6 tubes wasn’t directed at me, but I just happened to do a short clip recording comparison of my Bogner Goldfinger 45 to this 2204. The GF45 is 6V6. Recorded, it’s actually kind of hard to tell them apart. Pretty well nails JCM800 tone. I think the 6V6 is a flexible tube that reflects the design of the circuit it’s in. But I can only speak about this particular amp.

9. trower

Interesting, can I ask if can get sweeter organic tone's? Some amp's when you run them just at clipping sound like buzzy or fizzy...never do cleans great. I like the edge of breakup I find in Plexi's when I roll off the volume but not some much the compressed, rounder hi-gains.
    Thanks on the 6v6 tube feedback, I'm always open to developments. Iv'e always had only vintage Fenders or Ampeg's with them. I liken them to a looser saggy distortion type tube ala Neil Young. Great for what it does but not Marshall gains.

10. Furilla

Furilla Odd Bird Gold Supporting Member

My Chimera has el34’s...as does their Vincent amp. Not exactly a Marshall vibe, it is it’s own thing, but a big, open, raw, and muscular thing.

11. trower

How'd I miss that! thanks Furilla
    That Vincent looks cool...

12. LaXu

LaXu Member

Apparently the JJ 6V6S used in the GF45 is a bit different from most 6V6 but I can vouch that it is not that saggy unless you want it to be. The low voltage mode adds a tube rectifier type sag to the feel while lowering the volume a bit but in the high power mode it has a classic Marshall type response to it that is not too immediate nor too "slow". I wouldn’t call it my ideal metal amp but for up to something like Iron Maiden it would do just fine.

I’ve tried running my GF45 Superlead through a Fryette Power Station 2 and felt cranking the amp just made it sound worse. It just gets linearly louder up until the last 5th of the volume knob on the overdrive channel and then starts to get a bit of a harsh overdrive to my ears and rolling back preamp gain to compensate doesn’t help. Under that it sounds fantastic at almost any volume. Don’t know what magic Bogner has spun in there to make it happen.

trower likes this.
  13. ajoep

ajoep Member

14. trower

15. trower

Anybody got a Victory 140 Super Duchess or V130 Super Countess? 100 watters but very cool looking amps...Guaranteed to have the headroom and still compact?

16. hurtwoodec

hurtwoodec Supporting Member

Just get a Brunetti Pleximan and end the madness!

Done!

Small
    Light
    Fx loop
    Master volume
    50 watt switchable to 5 for home playing.
    Footswitchable to hotrodded plexi
    And a built in lead boost.

What are you waiting for??

wntbtw likes this.
  17. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Mesa TC-50? I find the channel 2 does the British sounds pretty good:

In the ball park of Marshall and Bogner sounds, I like it a lot. Solid amp and not too big.

18. Funky54

Funky54 Member

I didn’t read the entire thread.. but the actual cabinet of most guitar amps isn’t the weight. (There are exceptions) Most of the weight is the iron. Even putting all the parts in a compact pine cabinet and using neo speakers isn’t going to effect the total weight as much as the heavy iron that we want so much.

I’ve seen guys chop up perfectly good Super Reverb Sand baseman’s to get rid of some of the speakers.. they might have saved space hauling them, but the weight they saved wasn’t worth it.

19. ajoep

ajoep Member

Sorry, i wanted to ask the following :
    What about heat dissipation ? Wouldn't it hurt the amp to have such a huge trannies packed in such a small shell ?

20. trower

Builders use smaller output Trannies on some amps yet are in that 40/50 watt range. This amp looks great, I agree but I can't find any pics of the top of the amp out of the shell. Can you confirm it's got a big output transfomer?