Who makes this amp? Big Iron, Big Voice British flavored amp but... Compact!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by trower, May 16, 2019.

1. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

I've yet to meet a Boogie I liked :confused: Yup, owned a few and couldn't sell them fast enough...me and Boogie, no likey. They are like Strat's; I like them when someone else is playing them.

Yea... not a weight thing as much as a "Compact" with "Big Iron" thing I'm askin' about here but thanks...

Matteo11 likes this.
  2. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

The TC-50 might change your mind. I wasn't crazy about most Boogies but its one of the few that I found really appealing and easy to dial in.

3. FiestaRed869

FiestaRed869 Member

I like how you used the word Big...Big....Big.... but then say in a small package. Maybe that’s the problem, Big=Big

4. Funky54

Funky54 Member

Gotcha. That I do understand. I gave up caring about such things because for a good portion of my playing out, left me loading and unloading all gear except the lead guitarists amp and guitar. Dragging drums, pa, Lighting and my own amps and guitars has been the hard road.

As I got older and relocated it was awesome just showing up with my own guitar gear, and mic stand.

5. mikebat

mikebat Member

Lots of great advice here....but mine....is better

PWE. EH2, 50 watt. But he builds them many ways.

I am thinking of a single channel, 50 watt smallbox with dual switchable volumes (ofcourse with a loop). He (Ted Stevenson/owner/builder) said, "that, is easy!" MMMMMMM!!!!

6. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

I forgot about PWE. I remember wanting to grab an EH2 in a compact head chassis. But the power and standby switches being on the back was a no-go.

7. mikebat

mikebat Member

Why is that a no go? I prefer them on the front too, but it's not a deal breaker for me, more of just what I was used to.

8. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

The way my amp heads are stored on a rack, it would be a nuisance getting to those switches every time I play.

9. mikebat

mikebat Member

Ah! You know....he could probably relocated them. The man is a custom shop in the best sense.

10. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

It's not the tranny size. It's not the 3rd power (which will hang or eat anyone else's lunch.)
    Sounds to me like OP needs a 100 watter.
    Small format isn't gonna work.

11. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

No.
    Not any more than anyone elses.

I think you're looking too much at the tranny size...You need the headroom obviously.

12. trower

We're six pages in, how did you miss; Alessandro, Victory, Gladius, Ceriatone, Frenzel, Dr Z, Blankinship, Brunetti, Fargen, Bad Cat etc.

Wow! That sounds amazing...thanks for the heads up

My experience with a few heads (including my 3P Plexi which was amazing but toted a smaller output transformer) and also some research leads me to believe the "output" transformer has alotta to do with an amp's headroom, even at 40/50 watts. I'm not too schooled on this stuff so please expound, I'm all ears.

mikebat likes this.
  13. trower

Simply Beautiful!

14. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

Just be aware that their models are only rather vaguely related to the amps that they are "inspired by." Just putting an "M input" and "F input" on an amp and changing a few preamp component values doesn't work miracles, either.

A long time ago I had a Frenzel "Champ" variant, and it sounded nothing like any Fender Champ I've ever played. I didn't sound bad, but it hardly broke up and did not sound like a Champ, whether it be a tweed, blackface, or silverface. The signal was definitely significantly weighted down by all the additional "features."

trower likes this.
  15. mikebat

mikebat Member

He can dial that down easily. And let me tell you, even with the standard gain structure, I turn the gain down low and it does not sound thin or lifeless the way most modern rock targeted tube amps do.

He also built a 6V6 vintage voiced amp for a fellow EH3 owner

16. Vanyu

Vanyu Member

There’s lotsa pages and lotsa posts on this thread, so I don’t know if I’m echoing right now,

But,

Keep your eyes peeled for a Marshall 2204S. Bonus points if you can find the matching 4x10 cabs! It’s just a regular 2204 in a small chassis

17. trower

Just found something but...That's actually a very cool suggestion. I've forgotten these existed. These seem to be as rare as hen's teeth now. If the output tranny is same size as the bigger box version, that would be super cool and something I would definitely wanna put on my check out list. Thanks...

EDIT; Looks like it sports the standard hefty trannies!
    WOW! Gotta find one of these....10! on the cool factor

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019