Who Mods Fender Blues DeVille Amps??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 58lespaulman, Mar 19, 2006.

1. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

2. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

Try Andy Fuchs at Fuchs Audio Technology.

I recently bought a Fuchs ODS 30 combo and it's so good, I'm going to send my Hotrod Deluxe to them the have the ODS mod installed.

-jm

3. brad347

brad347 Member

+1 on andy, great guy.

4. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Yeah I know about him, but he pretty much takes everything out of the amp and makes it a Fuchs amp. I just want someone to mod the amp to make it sound better and not charge $1000.00 to do it. I love the main channel, but hate the overdrive channel. Any other companys mod Fender DeVille's??

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net
    http://www.phensic.com

5. brad347

brad347 Member

I bet he would do as much or as little as you wanted him to. He's a good guy. Just sayin'.

6. Bad Back

Bad Back Member

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

jimmy @ sommatone is modding a marshall 18 watter for me into a two channel beast that boasts his own killer clean channel, and a straight up AC30 top boosted dirty channel.

the man does miracles without breaking my bank...

www.sommatone.com

8. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

9. brad347

brad347 Member

hate to be negative but i can't recommend torres. Have never heard anything good. Maybe someone else has better news but everyone I've ever heard says avoid them.

10. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Many people have sought to mod the lead channel on a BD or BDv to improve it. Have never heard of a single success story. That's why my advice to you is forget modding the amp and put your money into a couple of good overdrive pedals that compliment your new amp's killer clean channel. But who know, perhaps you'll be the first to succeed where everyone else has failed. Good luck!

P.S. Another option is Pete Cage, one of the new techs you'll find as comfortable with PCBs as PTP.

http://www.audiocage.com/

P.P.S. My solution was to have Pete gut the entire amp and rebuild it as a PTP Bandmaster-alike:

[​IMG]

11. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Why not just sell your amp and buy something that sounds the way you like?

12. hasserl

hasserl Member

Sweeeeeet looking chassis, Jon! Nice mod job! A guy that does work like that has my respect for sure.

As for the original question, try Trace ot Voodoo amps, http://www.voodooamps.com/ I think they fit just what you're looking for. Trace is a great guy and is one of the best. Check it out.

13. Jon Silberman

Sound advice (sorry for the bad double entendre :eek: ) but even better advice: view your amp as worth the price of admission for the clean channel, alone, and the lead channel as a "free extra." Because you really do have a fine one channel amp there. :)

14. hasserl

hasserl Member

On the other hand, if for a couple hundred bucks he can get that POS lead channel sounding great why not do it? I don't know what can be done with it, but it's a small gamble IMO. He could end up with an amp with the tonal quality of something he'd have to spend several times again (at least) that amount to get from something else. And he'd loose that nice clean channel in the process.

Seems like logical approach to me. And if anyone can extract a good sound out of that amp Trace at Voodoo can do it. I say give it a shot, you've only got a couple hundred bucks to loose, and possibly a great amp to gain. You'll certainly be better off than with the stock amp, and whether or not you could ever regain the money on resale of the amp, it certainly wouldn't hurt it's value.

15. Jon Silberman

UPDATE/SPECIAL ALERT: THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!!! :)

"I didn't like the drive channel. I did a modified version of Andy Marshman's mod. That amp's drive channel sang with a dynamic, mid voiced crunch that was almost startling." Steve Dallman

http://www.duncanamps.com/technical/bluesdeluxe.html

Steve Dallman at dbamplification@yahoo.com

From personal experience: email Steve Dallman now. NO ONE knows these amps like Steve and he's a super smart, nice, and helpful guy.

16. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I gotta say...I'm thinking hard about trading in my Blues DeVille for a Bassman LTD, but even so...

I know lots of folks hate the drive channel, but personally, I use mine with very little gain (just a BITE...just enough that it isn't tha clean) and I gotta say...I like it.

On the other hand, the "more drive" was very badly engineered for my standpoint...I would actually use it if it only went slightly up in volume but as is...I can't use it. I would have liked it for setting the drive channel to very slight, have the more drive channel be just a bit more gain and just a bit more volume, but as it is I can either set the drive or more drive how I like and when that is set the other becomes useless. If the drive is set okay, the more drive is WAY TOO HIGH...if the more drive is how I like, the drive is way too low in the mix.

They should have dropped the more drive and given a footswitchable reverb, maybe also allowed for mixing the two channels.

17. Jon Silberman

More useful info. from Steve (about the BD but the BD and BDv are very similar amps; this further illustrates why I say speak with Steve before you mod):

What are the differences between the Hot Rod Deluxe and Blues Deluxe?

By Steve Dallman

The two are similar in some ways and quite different in others. The obvious differences are the drive channel and "more" drive. Both amps are sort of takes on a 59 Bassman according to Fender with the added drive, reverb and effects loop. That may be a stretch. "Normal" Fenders, such as 'black face' and 'silver face' Twins, Bandmasters, Bassmans, Deluxe Reverbs and the like have a gain stage, the tone stack (which introduces a lot of signal loss) and then a recovery gain stage. From there there will be a mixing stage for the channels and reverb and on to the power amp.

In the BD and HRD there are 2 gain stages preceding the tone stack. This helps create the blusier preamp breakup similar to a 59 Bassman. The tone stacks are sort of a cross between a 59 Bassman and a standard Fender. Next comes the drive stage. In the BD it is a rather anemic single tube stage. In the HRD both halves of V2 are used. In the BD there is half a tube unused. How much you like the distortion in either amp is really a matter of taste.

The first stages are classic Fender except the BD uses a 22uf cathode bias cap while the HR uses a larger 47uf, which will create a bit more low end.
    Coupling cap next is .01BD Vs .022 in HRD. Still a little more low end in the HR. The bright switch in the BD is next. This is a non-standard Fender design, which bypasses a 100k resistor with a 750pf cap. As the 100k resistor is attached to the 250k-volume control, it is only effective in clean mode. The drive control in the HR is between the first and second stage.
    The second stage is unbypassed in both amps. In the HR the bright switch is a .068 cathode bypass cap that is non-functioning in drive mode.
    The tone stack follows the second stage. They are identical except the HR uses a 130k mid slope resistor, while the BD is 100k. This will create a little less low end in the HR.

The drive control precedes the 3rd stage in the BD, a standard Fender bypassed gain stage. The 3rd stage is used in both clean and drive in the BD.

In the HR the 3rd and 4th stages are used in drive only. This tube is unbypassed. In More drive a 1uf-bypass cap is switched in on the 3rd stage and a 22uf bypass cap is switched in on the 4th stage. (The 4th stage is not used in the BD, but is just waiting to be modded in.)
    Note on bypassing. The gain in a tube stage is set by 3 components, the plate resistor, (typically 100k in Fenders, larger for more gain) the cathode resistor, (typically 1.5k in Fenders, smaller for more gain) and a bypass cap that bypasses the cathode resistor. The cathode cap is not always used but when it is, it will increase gain in different frequency ranges. 22uf will increase gain across the entire guitar spectrum. Smaller will only raise gain in higher frequencies.

The master for the drive channel follows in both amps. From there the amps are nearly identical, except the HR has somewhat fuller reverb due to the design of the reverb return. (The reverb circuit and the effects loop are solid state.) The HR has an extension speaker jack that uses the 4-ohm speaker tap on the output transformer. The BD has this tap but it is not used (but could be added by a tech.)

In general these amps are similar. The BD will not stay as clean at higher volumes due to the 3rd stage always being active. The HR has "improved" distortion (drive) with "more drive" added. The HR has fuller reverb and an extension speaker jack. Both are good designs with plenty of classic Fender tone.

18. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I do like the Clean channel, and it turns into a drive channel once you get the volume up to around 3, but thats way to loud already. So maybe I need a Attenuator not a mod, and I'll just use channel one. Because I really love channel one.. Voodoo amps does sound like the answer as long as he doesn't change the clean channel. Check this out!! He changes the drive channel into a Marshall Plexi sound. WOW, I am very interested in this.

http://www.voodooamps.com/standardmods-fender.html#hotrod

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net
    http://www.phensic.com

19. hasserl

hasserl Member

Nice call Jon, I had forgotten about Steve. I know Steve also and I agree the guy is very knowledgable about these amps and is a great guy. I would also consider him along with Trace. Talk to both of them and go with what seems right to you.

20. Voodoo Amps

Voodoo Amps Member

I do like the Clean channel, and it turns into a drive channel once you get the volume up to around 3, but thats way to loud already. So maybe I need a Attenuator not a mod, and I'll just use channel one. Because I really love channel one.. Voodoo amps does sound like the answer as long as he doesn't change the clean channel.

If you don't want the clean channel changed then we can certainly leave it stock for you.

Hope it helps
    Trace