• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Who owns a Murphy aged Les Paul?

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
How do you like them?
Do they vary tonally from other Lesters...ala VOS, Historic R series, etc.?
I have a Murph aged R7 coming this week that used to belong to Jimmy Vivino, and I'm pretty stoked!

Share the love and the tone, people...and pix if you got 'em. :love:

S.
j

Mark Kane

Platinum Supporting Member
I've had a half dozen. Gibson just pulls them off the line and Murphy picks them up, takes them to his shop and puts the blade and heat gun to them. He does very nice work. There's a series of 6 video's on youtube with TM talking about his work. They feel really nice to play and you don't have to worry about putting a ding in them. Sound wise they're just like any other historic, some good, some great, and some not so much.

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
Great Mark...thanks for the YouTube heads up!
And I still have a Lifton case that Goldie will feel right at home in!

S.
j

jiml

Silver Supporting Member
I have probably drooled on that axe, I used to go see JV at Downtime in NYC every Thurdsay night. Post pix!

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
I picked this baby up yesterday.
WOW...!
My LP GAS has been completely satisfied.
A lifetime keeper...:bow

Thanks Jimmy and Buzz!

I'll try to get pix up later this wkd.

S.
j

Last edited:

jemke

Here is my '05 Murphy which is my dream LP. Excellent tone, playability and looks and therefore a keeper. A guitar that is played everyday. It is not kept in the case like most Murhpy's. It is my main guitar.
Off course the finish treatment does not affect the tone but it is the icing to the cake if the rest of the guitar is great. I hope (but probably not) that guitars are somehow selected on tone and looks before they go to Tom in order that a aged LP is always top notch, in contrary to the 'average' Historic.

59GIBSON

Silver Supporting Member
Here's my 2010 Murphy R-9. It's extreamly light weight at 8lbs and really sounds great! Murphy's aging is quite subtle and tastefully done. I'm not going to say it's the best sounding historic LP I've owned, but it's up there. It's the only Historic Gibson I've owned (which is close to twenty guitars over the past 15 years)
that I have NOT swapped out the pickups. It has what I think is the most accurate neck profile (for a historic) to the originals that I've come across.
However, last but not least is the color!!! Must be seen in person to really appreciate.

guitarmandp

If you want a Murphy buy a Rossington, or a Bloomfield, or a Gary Moore, or a Jimmy Page #2.

The standard Murphy's usually have very little checking, and just not enough aging to warrant the $2,000 price hike.

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
Pix are comin'...I promise! :)

(...and these pix you all have put up here are AMAZING!!!!)

S.
j

Last edited:

Sniper-V

My R9 Murphy Yamano...Killer playing, sounding, and looking guitar! Looks and feels totally authentic.

xdisciplex

I currently own 1 murphy but i owned 3 others in the past and all of them was very nice, i love the murphys.

Timmo

Silver Supporting Member
I owned a '58 Murphy Plaintop.

It was an "average" Les Paul.
It was pretty though..........

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
Taken in my backyard this fine afternoon.

What a beauty! And she plays/sounds as good as she looks.

I love Goldies...

S.
j

Top Bottom