Who owns a Vaschenko Guitar? Pictures and your thoughts on it?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by mcuguitar, May 31, 2017.

1. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Hello,
    I'd like to hear from owners of Vaschenko LV or LP guitars. Pictures, feedback on playability, your option choices and why, and what changes (if any) you'd make if you ordered the same guitar again. Thank you! Jon.

2. garbud

garbud Member

d1dsj, maidendetroit and Decal like this.
  3. pfddi

pfddi Silver Supporting Member

Here a few of mine. Tone, playability and build quality are impeccable.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    wrxplayer, Baemer, mcuguitar and 4 others like this.
  4. Jeff_G

Jeff_G Member

Oh my lord those are gorgeous! And that neck joint - yes!

d1dsj likes this.
  5. mcuguitar

Pfddi, which is lighter, your LP or LV? And, how much easier is upper fret access with your LV? They're beauties for sure! Also, tonewise, are the LV and LP similar? I currently have an LV on order, but mildly considering changing it to an LP. Your thoughts would be appreciated! Jon.

6. pfddi

pfddi Silver Supporting Member

The LPs weigh in at 8.5 pounds and the LV is about 8. The upper register on the LV is almost no comparison to the LP - which is traditional. Access is almost as good as an SG! Tone wise very similar. I have a set of Tom Holmes in the LV and Stephens Design in the LP. Now just to throw you a curve, I have played one of his semi-hollow LVs and I now have serious GAS! The weight is 7.5lbs and because it is a carved, not laminated body and maple top, the tone is very close to a solid body. I am a sucker for great tone and light weight! I probably play the LV more because of the upper register access. I usually just alternate a lot because I can!!!!!

Here's a better shot of the LV & SC neck joint.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Millul and soulohio like this.
  7. mcuguitar

Wow, great reply Pfddi! That's exactly what I needed to know. Upper fret access is a big deal to me, and if the tone is the almost the same, I'm going to stay with the LV. I'm going with OX4 pickups, and I was thinking of a Korina body to further reduce weight. That semi-hollow LV sounds interesting! I'll check it out. Thank you!

8. mcuguitar

Any other owner's experiences?

9. mcuguitar

10. korfist

korfist Member

I am mulling over selling mine. If you are interested, contact me and I can give you the build page and we can discuss price. I am not sure how to PM on the gear page anymore.

mcuguitar likes this.
  11. mcuguitar

korfist, just hit the 'Contact' button under my avatar. Your inbox is full, so I cannot PM you.

12. korfist

korfist Member

I think I emptied it.

13. mcuguitar

Any more Vaschenko owners on TGP?

14. bbaug14

bbaug14 Supporting Member

I've had a few now. Excellent guitars. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. In fact, I will be getting another one as soon as I can. My #1 right now is a Vaschenko.

[​IMG]

zosozep7, Baemer, sidekick and 3 others like this.
  15. garbud

garbud Member

I just received my newest one. Here's the build pics.

http://guitarmaster.forum24.ru/?1-1-0-00000294-000-0-0-1503810815

Vaschenko builds great guitars. Between his price, quality and certainly playability, they can't be beat.

mcuguitar likes this.
  16. mcuguitar

Awesome guys, keep 'em coming! I'm torn between his LP, LV, semi-hollow LV, and 335 type guitars. I'm on the waiting list, but would like more feedback on playability, tone, weight, finish, and if you have several, which is your go-to guitar?

17. mcuguitar

There has got to be more out there, and I would appreciate all owner's feedback.

18. Jescar

Jescar Silver Supporting Member

I have two Vaschenko guitars, a fully spec'ed LP meets PRS style SC model and a 335 style modeled after the cherry red Clapton/Johnson '62 small block inlay with flame maple top.

There is one change that I would have made if it were possible: I SHOULD HAVE DONE THESE BUILDS SOONER!

Vaschenko is a master guitar builder in the true sense of the term, a man who understand every aspect of guitar building and excels in all phases. I come to this opinion by owning my dream guitars purchased over the past 48 years starting with my blond Tele with maple neck that I purchase with paper route money at age 12 (sold a few years later for a '54 LP Gold Top that I still own) to my Martin D18 that I bought new in 1970 that I still own (along with a custom built Taylor from 1995, a James Goodall, Martin 00-28VS and other acoustics). Plus I have the honor of owning 5 absolutely perfect and stunning Tom Anderson's, 2 PRS's, Collings 290's (I really miss Bill, RIP), Knaggs, Ron Thorn Strat, LSL Tele, and...you get the point. My natural maple ES-335 dot reissue has not left the case since I took delivery of my Vaschenko 335.

Sorry for the vanity list (partial!) of wonderful, killer axes that I play every day and cherish and will not sell. But if you need a point of reference as to the quality of Vaschenko guitars I can't imagine a better way to express my happiness with these instruments. I love all of my wonderful guitars and consider them all "the best". Vaschenko is among the best.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Doc3, pfddi and sidekick like this.
  19. mcuguitar

That's great to hear! That's why I put my deposit down earlier this year. I'm still debating which one, because each of his models looks outstanding. Your SHB, how much does it weigh, what pickups did you choose, and did you go for binding on the frets ala Gibson? Mahogany with a maple top? Thank you! Jon.

20. Jescar

Jescar Silver Supporting Member

Why choose? Get both!
    The SHB I've never weighed but it is lighter than most of my guitars including my ES-335, maybe about 6.5 lbs? Pickups are Throbak MT-102B which can give some great snarl and clean up really well. I was actually playing that guitar last night through my Landry G3 that was just updated and upgraded by Bill (look for my glowing post on that amp later.. spoiler alert...OMG) and I could go from heavy rock to jazz with my volume control on the guitar. The binding is traditional cream with the frets over binding, not like the 335 with the plastic nubs on the ends. Fret wire is my personal favorite Jescar 51100 stainless steel which I also have on the Vaschenko SC, Thorn Strat, and Anderson Raven. This is a photo taken after I had just opened the case for the first time after it arrived.

[​IMG]

soulohio, pfddi, sidekick and 2 others like this.