Who owns an Aiken Invader?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mattmccloskey, Apr 23, 2012.

1. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

Just curious - how many TGP members own an Aiken Invader?

Mine is about 10 years old. Such a wonderful amp! Real Marshall style overdrive with a perfect attenuator, and sweet reverb.

2. HazelGoatee

HazelGoatee Member

I own an Aiken Intruder. really amazing tone!

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

I had a 2xEL34 30 watter for a while, very nice amp!

4. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    Anybody have the Intruder?

5. TomStrat

TomStrat Member

I have one, its an awesome amp, 30 Watt 2x12 Combo with built in Reverb and Attenuator. Incredible tone at any setting

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  6. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

Is there any particular reason why that 2xEL34 is only rated at 30W instead of 50W? Just curious. Is it still a fixed bias amp or cathode?

7. OldNo.7

OldNo.7 Member

Another Aiken Invader owner here. I guess that makes 3 owners posting in this thread so far. I have a 1x12 combo. A great, great amp.

8. Dennis E.

Dennis E. Silver Supporting Member

I own a 2001 forest green Aiken Mk I Invader 2-12 combo ... the 9th Invader ever built, and according to Randall (if I remember correctly), the first production Invader.

I ordered it directly from Randall, and waited quite a while for it to be built.

I have since put the chassis in a forest green Aiken head cabinet, and it sees duty twice a week at my church ... thursday night rehearsals, and 3 services on sunday. :)

It still looks great for a 11+ year old amp, and it still sounds fantastic!!

And as has been stated many times here on TGP and elsewhere, Randall is a winner ... a good man, and a generous human.

And I think that anyone who has one of Randall's amps is pretty lucky.

Dennis E.

9. TomStrat

TomStrat Member

I fired mine up last night, it had been a while since i plugged into it. I really wish i had a head box for it. One of the main reasons it doesn't leave the house is that its is damn heavy and only has a top mount handle. Its also near mint so i don't like to take it anywhere.

Still probably the best amp i have ever owned and one of the most knowledgeable builders out there.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  10. Kenster

Kenster Member

I own a Mk1 1-12 Original owner. I think it's dated Oct 2001. Awsome amp for Marhall tones. One mod I did was put the bright cap on channel 2 and play through same only. Flipping the Ali/plexi switch gave it some interesting tones such as extended highs and also extended lows yielding some rich clean and semi dirty tones. Not sure if this woul work for the 1 holer MkII's though.

Randall did a nice job on this design. Really lookin forward to his new Saber.

Ken

11. mattmccloskey

Our amps must be siblings if not twins- mine is a mark I green 1x12 combo. Mine was shipped to me in 2001 as well, although I ordered it in 2000 if I remember right.

I think Randall mod'd my attenuator slightly, it has the lowest setting (rec) as simply another notch down from -12. So I suppose it is -15.

Just last year I sent the amp in for a tune-up and re-bias with some NOS GE tubes. Sounds as nice as ever. My bias adjustment nuts were getting loose and Randall fixed 'em up, but otherwise (besides tubes) everything has held up wonderfully, and this amp has seen a ton of gigs, rehearsals, and recording duties.

12. 247jamz

247jamz Member

I have a red 2x12 Aiken Invader MkI combo, 4 x EL84 goodness into two Celelstian G12-H30's. Fantastic amp, would never sell that one. It was also a very early one, ordered it before he had really ramped up production. I had him mod the reverb on/off jack in the back and create an FX loop, I run a matching red Fulltone Tube Tape Echo through that. It's hard to get me out of the studio when I'm playing that rig ;)

It's heavy though, I keep it in my studio now, and run it either into it's own cab or into a Rivera Silent Sister with a G12-H30. Randall Aiken is a great guy, I wish him all the best. Wish I had a Aiken Invader 1x12 with 4 x EL84's for gigging...I use a Rivera Venus 6 1x12, but the Aiken is more my sound. Don't get me wrong, the Rivera is great, I'm just so used to using the Aiken for so many years.

13. mattmccloskey

hey Tom if you ever consider selling it let me know! I wouldn't mind having a 30 watt in addition to my 18 watter.

14. thunderbolt

thunderbolt Supporting Member

15. thunderbolt

Has anyone tried using tubes other than EL34 in their Invader MKII 30W? The user's manual that came with mine is dated 2003, and it does not include the tube substitute info. However I found a later version dated 2008 and it says 6v6, 6L6, KT66...can be used. Could Randall modify later Invaders so they have the added features?

16. thunderbolt

Reached out to Mr. Aiken and he promptly replied. As long as the tubes fit in and bias set up correctly, all output tubes can be installed in the Invader. Awesome!

17. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

I have the thirty watt Invader II. Very nice and flexible Marshall style done the Aiken way.

Sounds good with 6L6 tubes too

It is 30 watts becasue of the voltages to the power tubes, I believe. Plenty of transformer to handle more output. It is fixed bias.

18. MBoDean

MBoDean Member

Owner of an Invader MkII 18 watt head that I absolutely love through my old Marshall 4x12 blueweave cabinet with Greenbacks. Also love my Aiken Tomcat head. With my Roccaforte Hi Gain 100, I feel I have all Marshall bases covered!

19. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I owned one until today. Great sounding and attenuator worked great. But purchase of an expensive guitar required I sell something and this became #2 to my Blankenship FATBOY, as much because of weight as tone.

20. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

I had a Mark II 18 watt combo in red about 5 years ago. It was my first Marshall based circuit and I think I was expecting more gain or something. All I know is that at the time I didn't 'get' the amp and moved it pretty quick. I think I would love to have one these days. I almost bought a 30 watt head that was on here recently, but found something else Marshally that I got instead.