Who owns both a modeler and tube amps!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Semitone, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Semitone

Semitone Member

I was just getting a bit curious about who owns BOTH an amp modeler and a tube amp, as well as if guys/ gals who spend more on amp models spend less or more on tube amps.

Thanks.

( edit: for the sake of argument let's leave the cost of FRFR out, please. I wasn't really sure how to handle this.)

2. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

Dream Rig: JTV-59 (Fender Jazzmaster as backup) > POD HD Pro > DT25

Still have the DT, but the band's mostly switched to FRFR (or IEM) now.

3. SkyhighRocks

SkyhighRocks Member

Kemper and a Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100...both great but the Kemper is so much easier to haul around, gets a more consistent live tone and has all the effects I need in the box.

4. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Axe-FX Ultra, Bogner Shiva, a couple other tube amps. Easier to get good recorded tones with the Axe-FX. The tube amps sound better live.

5. 71strat

71strat Member

Ive had a Kemper.

I have the new Fractal AXE FX II XL

Fender Cybertwin V1. Bought it new. Swapped out the 12AX7's for 12AU7 Mullard 10M Master Series Gold Pins.

Metropoulos Limited Edition GMP45 with $2000 in NOS tubes.

69 Dual Showman Reverb with Dumble ODS Mod. Also $2000 in NOS tubes.

I have other Tube and Solid State amps but am not listing.

For ease I use the CT. Grab and Go.

For Tone I use the Metro and 2 x 1 x 12 JBL E120's or 2 x 1 x 15 JBL E130's. Both with Hemp Cones and TS806 and TS606 Cabinets respectively.

The Kemper was a good piece as is the Fractal. I like the Fractal better.

Im Still Learning the Fractal. I Love the Profiling/Cloning Feature and the Effects but Overall I would rather have and should have bought a New Metro Limited Edition GMP45/100. Although a bit more expensive.

Ill probably not keep the Fractal. I got it at a owners discount so I can sell it ofor what I have in it and not lose anything, but Im going to keep it a bit longer.

I do Love it, but considering I can buy a Metro GMP45 for about the same I cant justify the Cost vs. Tone.

The term for me..

Jack of All Trades and Master of None, is My Take on Modeling. Even though I do like it. Especially the FXs and the Cloning Feature.

I would take a Good Metro, GMP 45 or GMP45/100, Speakers of my choice, ( Preferably JBL, Altec Lansing and Old Celestion Pulsonic Cones ) and about 10 good pedals of my choice and I can get about any sound Im After, and More.

6. Electric I

Electric I Member

Currently - Zoom G3 + EPSi / Tube amps - several, incl. Bad Cat / Marshall / VHT etc.

For me, the best of all worlds is floor-based multi-fx (as a pedalboard) into tube amps.

7. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

I've previously owned other modelers & a ton of tube amps.

Right now I have an 11 Rack on the modeler side.
    Tube amps are currently an old US made Hotrod Deville 212, & a Mesa 50 Cal.

8. jbird

jbird Member

One of those Yamaha desk top modelers at home (love the little thing), because I keep my Roadster in a studio!

9. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

When I bought the Axe-FX, I owned a LOT of tube amps.

Years down the road, I instead just borrow tube amps for fun.

There's no option in the poll for 'used to own a lot of great tube amps' so I didn't vote.

10. bordonbert

bordonbert Member

I've owned my Marshall Super Lead 100 since 1970. Awesome as you would expect a classic to be. A few years back I got curious and tried out a Vox Valvetronix AD120VT and never looked back. I bought one immediately, after trying out every other modelling amp in the shop. None were any good except the Vox to my mind.

I don't like the usual transistor sound, though it is not what it used to be in the early days. They were dreadful when they first came out. It is now a question of what they design for rather than what transistors can achieve, and today's heavier rather than classically overdriven sound is just not to my taste.

Recently I fell in love with Hughes & Kettner and pulled in my third amp, a Tubemeister 36, which I now love dearly. The Marshall gives me my classic power sound, the Vox gives amazing versatility with a full range of good amp models (Korg!) with pedals/effects, while the H&K gives a modern valve sound which I can range from super clean to rat's arse rocking.

Both valves and solid state have their own very genuine benefits and drawbacks. I don't poohpooh anything now on the basis of its underlying technology. (But then I do design the stuff for a living so I am perhaps more open minded about that sort of stuff than most). Most kit is reasonable, some really good and too much really dreadful in both camps imho. And, sadly, the myths and snake oil still abound....

11. Guyotron

Guyotron Member

If you look at the Line 6 DT amps, they're a modeler _and_ a tube amp. I have a DT50 and still have a Marshall JCM600. For modelers, I have a Boss GT-6, HD500, GSP1101, a couple of SansAmps, and a Fender G-Dec 30.

12. barhrecords

barhrecords Member

Fractal and amps here.

My main Marshall and Fender rigs cost more than the Fractal.

Bogner rig is more than the Fractal.

Vintage silver faced twin and Princeton fenders cost less than the Fractal.

13. Mr. Brady

Mr. Brady Member

I have owned Mesa Tremoverb, Rectoverb, PV JSX, Mesa Mark IV, Ax Fx Standard, Suhr Badger, POD XT Live, and Tech 21 TM60.

What I own now: Vox Ac30, Bogner Shiva, Peavey Delta Blues, Pod HD 500.

The Pod HD gets the most use, the Bogner sounds the best, and the other two are solid amps.

Would love to try a Kemper or Ax II soon. They both would have to beat or equal the tone of my Shiva to keep them around though.

14. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Member

Well, I USED TO own both, and some of them were really nice amps, but now it's just the modeler. That isn't saying I won't own more in the future. Just that I tend to only keep what I use, and I don't have use for one at the moment.

15. Semitone

Semitone Member

I know..I wasn't completely sure what I was trying to do with this poll. I had a few thoughts in mind, nothing coherent enough to put in a comprehensive poll.

1.) I was curious how much guys typically spend on modeling gear. There seems to be a lot more companies trying to service the sub $500 crowd, than the >$500 crowd. I really didn't think TGP was going to be very representative of players/buyers in general. I am on a forum for mountain biking and there was a poll a while back. If I remember correctly, the median spent on a bike was something like $4-5K in a poll. Overall, i think people on forums probably spend more on gear than the average person.

2.) I was also wondering if people who pay up for modelers are happier and as a result, less likely to hold onto their tube amps. I know..the first category could be either people who spent a lot on modelers and sold their tube amps, or people who are on smaller budgets and had to decide between a modeler and a tube amp. Either way, it's not looking like modelers are a cure for GAS:nuts

3.) Most likely my guess is that people who spend more money on modeling gear, spend more money on tube amps. Guys who like gear..well..like gear...but we can't really determine that from the results.

4.)I've never done a poll before and wanted to try it out!! :facepalm

Cheers

16. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

Sold the tube amp, kept the Ultra.

17. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

Mesa\Boogie Lonestar Special with its own cab but usually driving a Dragoon 2x12" Celestion Vintage neodymium.

Great sound but I've never switched it on in the last two years while using a Kemper (which I mainly use with two CLRs but also with my Dragoon through a retrofit power amp.

18. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

I own a full Kemper and Splawn rig. I'll probably be adding a Fryette Sig:X or Deliverance as well.

19. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

sold my last tube amp (gries 35) last week. Not going to be buying another tube amp again.

20. MrLahey

MrLahey Member

Still have my tube amp and still buy modeling gear.

Tube amp doesn't get as much play is it used to but it still has its uses.