Who plays a semi hollow body?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tomkatzz, May 6, 2008.

1. tomkatzz

tomkatzz Member

And why? I'm thinking of another guitar purchase. I just sold a Gibson Les Paul and still have a USA Strat.

Based upon recommendations from posters on the Gear Page I'm looking at Heritage and Carvin.

Both companies have some nice looking semi hollow body guitars as well as Les Paul looking guitars.

Why would a player choose one over the other?

2. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I play mainly hollow body or semi hollow guitars. I just like the sound and feel. Simple as that! I play whatever guitar gets thesound I hear in my head. I like solid body guitars too, but I seem to gravitate towards the warm woody snappy tones of guitars with air in them.

3. oldrock

oldrock Member

If you want the traditional semi hollow sound, you should at least try one of the ES-335 dot reissues. I must have tried a dozen semi hollows to try to find that sound and nothing quite did it for me till I found this one.
    [​IMG]

Been wanting one for over 20 years so I am a happy camper now. Sounds good unplugged but really shines when running thru a good tube amp with just a touch of bite on the gain.

4. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I've got one of these (Custom Guitar Workshop TE-3):
    [​IMG]
    And one of these (Custom Guitar Workshop Jazz Custom 607):
    [​IMG]

Nice airey tones that I just can't extract from solid body axes. I like these guys mainly for jazz and lightly overdriven blues sounds.

5. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

Ive got an epiphone dot and its my favorite guitar...I just like the woody tone...something about it keeps it in my hands more often than my SG or Les Paul...clean, dirty, really dirty, it sounds awesome...

plus they look so flippin cool...all guitars should have f-holes, real or painted on...;)

6. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG][/URL][/IMG][

I use these ones. The Ibanez AM205, has a wider range of sounds than any other guitar I have.
    The Gibson ES-325, really has a unique tone due to the mini hums

7. Kooshball

Kooshball Member

not sure why inspired me to pick up the epiphone dot, but I love it. its a great contrast to my fender strat. It can get a great clean tone and now that i've upgraded the pickups it can handle gain REALLY well.
    its a great great guitar.

8. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

I'd take a good look at the Hamer Newport. Nothing beats Hamer's quality. I'm considering one myself.

My current semi is one of the somewhat rare early 80s, Japanese-built Epiphone Rivieras. These guitars are nothing like the current Epiphones and are something of a find. Built for just a few years (maybe about 79-84) they have fat, set-necks, humbuckers and high quality materials and craftsmanship.

9. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I had this Prospect made by Heritage. It's become my #1 by a long shot. It's more "hollow" than others because the center block doesn't touch the back. This gives it a very warm sound for jazz, but still keeps the sustain from the block being attached to the top.

[​IMG]

10. Blue Fin

Blue Fin Member

I like two kinds.

[​IMG]

11. chucke99

chucke99 Member

Ibanez AS103 (NT finish). You can find these new on eBay for about $650, or new in a shop for $800. I love mine. (They also come in burled maple and spalted maple wood/finishes.)

[​IMG]

If you can afford a bit more ($,1200 - $1,500) I'd say find yourself an Ibanez Artist 2630, or its slightly younger (and smaller) cousin, the AS200. These guitars (IMO) rival the quality and sound of ANY (yes, I said ANY) semi-hollow out there:

[​IMG]

12. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

I've got a wide range: solid strat, solid w/humbuckers, chambered w/z90s, and now a Collings I-35. Its woody sound adds to the tonal variety. And there's an attack / compression to the notes that's killer. You may want to keep in mind bout width. The standard 16" is too wide and hikes up my right shoulder when sitting. The Collings' 15" is only 1" but it's a big difference.

13. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Can't say enough good things about my Heritage 535. Noticeably better than the Gibson 335s I've owned.

The Carvin looks smaller than the traditional 335 style and is built quite a bit differently. I would imagine it's got a different sound to it, and being a single cut, probably feels more like a Les Paul to play.

14. mainsale

mainsale Member

I'm kind of partial to my Gibson Les Paul Florentine

[​IMG]

15. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I have owned many, many hollow body guitars including 40's, gibsons, 60's gibsons, guilds, gretches, and some others. The yamahas are ok and the heritages are very nice but for the money the 339 is the best thing out of gibson since the Johnsy A and it is actually affordable.

16. Shooter Bob

Shooter Bob Member

I have a Heritage Blues Deluxe which is nearly identical to Flyin Brian's Prospect, the main difference being, the center block is actually bonded to the front and back on mine. It's a super sweet guitar and I play it all the time!

17. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

My Gibson ES-137 Classic is an amazing guitar. It can scream like a Les Paul when I want it to, but it has beautiful cleans as well. Oh, and the smokey blues tone it gets out of my Fender Champ is unbelievable.

18. Stratosphere

Stratosphere Member

Some, acoustically, sound like a bit like banjo when not plugged in. Others don't. I'd advise avoiding those that have that banjo-like quality.

I think they are less resonant overall.

19. Gibfenderson

Gibfenderson Member

339, Gibson Vegas high Roller, 335,125t, Eastwood T 184mx, Dearmond m75.

Love semis clean on a good tube amp

20. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I have a 2006 Memphis made 1959 ES-345 TDVC,replaced caps and p/u's with BetSet and Bees...smokes.