Who plays ES-175 at a gig?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by eddie101, Mar 20, 2015.

1. eddie101

eddie101 Member

I'm re-discovering the instrument as I somehow forgot how great they sound with a good tube amp. I had a great sounding '59 175 and like an idiot that I'm, I sold it. Who plays one and how do you like it?

2. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

I do...but probably not what is conventionally considered.

Like it tons.

3. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

Thrash?

4. flume

5. eddie101

eddie101 Member

Not sure what you mean by that....did you mod the guitar?

6. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I played one solo for years either through a SS JazzKat or through a Lil Dogs Tweed Deluxe clone.

There's a reason Gibson keeps making them, and others keep copying them. Wonderful guitars.

7. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

I use one on my jazz gigs. I really like it for duo gigs where the sound is much more intimate. On larger gigs with a drummer, I still prefer my 335. Hard to beat the dry, woody sound of a 175 though.

8. flume

Yes - restored beat up 175s into crossovers to 295s. Key is P90s.

9. eddie101

eddie101 Member

What kind of OD pedals do you guys use? Due to its hollow body, does it feedback a lot? Is it controllable?

10. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

My main guitar now for P+W and R+B gigs is a new Epi ES-175 Premium. It does a great job with just about any music type. Its tone with lots of gain is excellent, I did not expect this. I use it with modelers (Line 6 stuff) and a Dumble 102 clone at higher volumes.

The trick to managing feedback at higher volumes is simple, a volume pedal. IMHO you don't need nearly as much gain to get an interesting tone from a 175 as the hollow construction gives the note many more harmonics and life. So even on the loud gigs I don't have a problem with feedback at all.

11. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

The Steve Howe approach.

How clever of you. :aok

12. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

^I run mine into a cranked SF fender like a BMR It gets a great early yes tone. Even used a JMP funny part is my 93 does not feed back as much as one might expect, watch you volume knob and it's good to go. Not a good enough Jazzer to gig out but I use mine at blues or unplugged gigs into a BF super or a Princeton mic'd. I agree pushed a bit beyond the typical Jazz volume they get some really distinct sounds

13. buddyrama

buddyrama Supporting Member

14. buddyrama

I had a 54? with p-90s. Flatwounds and a silver face deluxe reverb with a JBL. Should have kept the whole rig.

15. buddyrama

16. flume

sorry for the slight derail....thanks for the kind words on Sansyou.
    Not trying to shamelessly promote - but seemed relevant to direct you all there since that recording has some very bare bones and clean 175 and 295 tones captured on it. Yes the cd is sold out so download only .

Back to other questions - yes it is very hard to find a mild overdrive that work with these when I need short bursts of grit. Not an easy guitar to match...so far the Sparkle Drive is the best and Ive been thru loads.

17. eddie101

eddie101 Member

Did you use any OD pedal?

18. eddie101

eddie101 Member

No problem! I will look into that as well.

Much appreciate the info. I'd never tried the Sparkle Drive but I'll look into that also. Have you tried the Zendrive by any chance?

19. flume

I have not yet. But I have been thru a TON of drives and more are hitting the bricks as I type. It is essential that the drive have a tone control at the very least. Another cheap one I like - and nabbed here on the emporium - is the MXR Custom Shop Overdrive - I have THREE now and they all sound different. White one is the best. Then a green one that I also got here -both of these have the white swirl design. Then I have an original edition without the swirl, and it is ok but waaaay too much gain for what I need. Last week I bought the Subdecay Liquid Sky - a low gain drive. Maybe its good with Les Pauls - havent tried but it sounds like a farting cow with my 295s and 275 conversions. The Emerson Em Drive was good but is really just a boost but nice and transparent. So its been a rough search. The basic cheap stuff is edging out the boutiques though. The Boss OD3 was also a lot better than the other higher end stuff I've had. This is all VERY subjective though and your attack will likely be very differnt and impact the drive tone...so take all this with a grain of salt and try differeint ones - and if there is no return policy - I just bite the bullet and still try but flip the ones I dislike. Losing some dollars each time, but it scratches my itches of curiosity.

20. eddie101

eddie101 Member

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71jLMPgq3zL._SL1200_.jpg

Is this it?