• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Who plays guitars with no tone pot?

GT1-Reach

I think about modifying one of my charvels with a midboost. The guitar only got 2 knobs, volume and tone. Instead of drilling for a third pot space, I think about just throwing the tone pot out.

What do you guys think? Who uses the tonepot on a superstrat style guitar here?

I personally never use it, plus it's a no load pot. I want to install an emg spc, which is kind of an "fat it up" situation. I think it is far more usable than a tone pot. I got the charvel dk22 with the singlecoils BTW. Might not make much sense on normal humbucker guitars.

JB6464

Silver Supporting Member
:wave
I can't stand a tone pot on the neck pickup of any of my guitars , they are already warm enough and don't need less highs and I use low output neck pickups .
Only one of the Tele's have a bridge tone pot , but it mostly stays on 10 anyways unless I am playing something real clean and need to warm it up .

GT1-Reach

Yeah I agree. I don't own a tele currently, but I would definitely see me using a tone pot on a tele bridge. I also use the tonepot on les Paul's, especially in the middle or bridge position.

I never use the tonepot on any strat style guitar for some reason.

makeitstop

Old dude with guitars
Platinum Supporting Member
I had a PRS SE-One for a while, ended up selling it.

I do have a parts Strat that I loaded with a humbucker that doesn't have a tone control. That guitar's kinda fun.

DonP

I think about modifying one of my charvels with a midboost. The guitar only got 2 knobs, volume and tone. Instead of drilling for a third pot space, I think about just throwing the tone pot out.

What do you guys think? Who uses the tonepot on a superstrat style guitar here?

I personally never use it, plus it's a no load pot. I want to install an emg spc, which is kind of an "fat it up" situation. I think it is far more usable than a tone pot. I got the charvel dk22 with the singlecoils BTW. Might not make much sense on normal humbucker guitars.
I don't see an issue doing this.

j_hotch

I've had EMG active EQ modules in place of my strat's tone controls for a long time. Don't miss the tone knobs at all!

Good luck!

wraub

Delonge Strat, one volume knob and that's it. Put the right pickup in there and audio excitement ensues... There's a lot of tones in the volume pot.

skullfunkerry

I've literally never used a tone pot in my life on any guitar. I've had a couple that weren't wired up, and the Charvel that I had a couple of years ago had a no-load pot that was completely out of the circuit when it was on full.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom