Who prefers vintage frets on Fenders?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DrJamie, Mar 27, 2008.

1. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

Why does Fender (Custom Shop) still use vintage wire? Still a demand for it on the reissues? Who prefers small wire?

2. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

3. blood5150

blood5150 Member

4. frank4001

frank4001 Member

I have '63 Refin Tele that I bought from a repairman who had aready intalled vintage wire...It felt super small to me at first but now I'm really liking how well the guitar plays in tune (compensated saddles too) and they way its set....perfectly straight neck with the action about the height of a nickle at the 12th fret...I'm loving it..No problems with bends or getting under the strings...The guy told me to give it chance...He knew something..I wear out frets a little quick so my only concern is that there won't be much on them for a grind and polish when the time comes...Now he's working at PRS and is out of town so ...I'll worry about it when the time comes I guess.

5. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Not me.

A little bigger, taller, wider wire makes my world a lot better.

JD

6. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I sold a '57 reissue Strat because I just couldn't get used to the tiny fret wire...

7. brad347

brad347 Member

I like the little frets. I like old guitars and little frets feel like old guitars. I do have one guitar with big frets because it came that way, and that's fine too. But the one and only time I had a refret done I specified skinny wire with medium height (.080 x .043) and that's just about right, maybe even a little too tall. Will probably feel better once they've been dressed once or twice.

8. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

I love that wire...I have a strong pick attack from growing up bluegrass so I dont need help bending and such. They just seem to let me freewheel on the fretboard so to speak...

9. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I like larger taller frets

10. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I like 'em too, feel lots of fretboard and lets you wear the board in nice. But mainly, everytime I play one with smaller wire, the guitars have that warm, woody tone that bigger wire doesn't.

11. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

+1, same experience for me.

However, I recently played a Nocaster and I'm wondering if I could live with it's vintage frets on the fatter neck. That guitar has haunted me ever since I played it.

12. crifasta

crifasta Gold Supporting Member

I like them for the tone. They allow for a much warmer sound for me. I have a 62 reissue strat that I had refretted with larger frets for easier playability - made the guitar sound harsh and brittle. I had it refretted again a day later with vintage frets and the tone returned.

Had the same experience with another 62 reissue which came with a beautiful Warmoth neck and medium jumbos. Sounded ok, but when I threw on another neck with vintage frets it sounded much better to me. I want to like larger frets for the ease of play but the tradeoff in sound is too much for me. BTW I play cranked Marshall, rock 'n' roll - not a blues purist or anything.

13. scottlr

scottlr Member

My AVRI 57 has wire that's considerably larger than the wire on my 2 MIJ 62 RIs. I can deal with what's on the 57, but the 2 MIJs are nowhere near as comfortable, and when I can afford it, will be the first ones to get a refret.

14. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

Its a compromise both ways. Vintage sounds slightly better for some things yet sacrifices some playability. taller frets gains some bending ease at the expense of tuning issues and a slightly more metallic sound.

For me I learned to adjust my playing on taller frets so the tuning isn't an issue. Toanally I live with the slightly more metallic sound of larger frets. It isn't bad all the time!

However I hate Jumbos. I've owned one guitar with 6100s and couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

15. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

vintage wire is the only wire I'm happy with. medium jumbo makes me grumpy. jumbo wire for me makes that guitar useless.

16. HandOfTheHost

HandOfTheHost Member

I'm happy to adapt to either. As long as they've been properly leveled, dressed and set up, each style of fret will work fine.

17. jgyn

jgyn Member

I prefer vintage, both wire and radius.

18. Bobbofallenstar

Bobbofallenstar Member

Fender 7.25, C-shaped and little frets - make me smile.

'62 Reissue Telecaster made in Japan are still the best I've ever played. Allparts makes a great copy of it too.

19. karmadave

karmadave Member

I much prefer modern radius (9.5) and fat (6100) frets...

-KD

20. strat6866

strat6866 Member

I like med jumbo. Still trying to get comfy with the small wire on my 62 reissue CIJ Tele.