Who remembers Bradley guitars ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by whitehall, Jul 8, 2006.

1. benson

benson Member

i own a bradley lespaul. however the guitar is not made in Japan but in england. Its a 1973 guitar with all papers and invoice. I bought it second hand sometime ago from am old musician. can somebody throw light on Bradley guitars handcrafted in England

2. benson

benson Member

can someone guide me as to how to post pics so i can upload pics of guitar

3. Ozmasgirl

Ozmasgirl Member

Does anyone know where I can find information about this great little copy?
    It's a small travel sized Bradley Strat copy. I bought it in the late 70's and put it away, and wow, now I can't seem to find anything on these.
    Thanks for any help!!
    :JAM

4. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

Welcome to TGP! I love it when these old posts get dug up! Ozmasgirl, can you post a pic?

5. MBreinin

MBreinin Member

That's where I remember seeing them!!

Mike

6. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

Bradley guitars were an import house brand [Japanese,then later Korean built] for Veneman's Music Emporium out of Rockville,MD.The company and store's inventory was purchased by the Guitar Center chain in 2000,who then converted the store into another Guitar Center,while also selling off Veneman's sister store in Springfield,VA.Btw,back in '99,I was able to purchase one of the last PRS CE-24 copies for my son,and it is indeed a very nice guitar.Try contacting the Rockville,MD Guitar Center,as maybe some of the former Veneman's staff are still employed there and might be able to give some history.Good luck.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2000_April_24/ai_61614362

http://attnet.yellowpages.com/info-LMS67488662/Guitar-Center?from=xmlapi_ATTNET-08

Ed

7. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Silver Supporting Member

My Bradley Telecaster... my very first electric guitar

purchased new from Venemans in 73 !! ( Blonde w/a maple neck )

I loved that thing - I wish I kept it.

And when I discovered an Electro-Harmonix Big Muff - I also discovered I had a microphonic bridge pickup ;)

those were the days.. dontcha love the 70s ??

8. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

Man...I miss Veneman's. They made the most awesome guitar cables. I recently had my last Veneman's guitar cable go bad on me. I think they've been closed for 10 years now. sad.

9. kidcheesyriffs

kidcheesyriffs Member

One of those guitars I let slip through my fingers was a Bradley bolt on neck clownburst Les Paul copy. This was probably 6-8 years ago. The thing had some of the most amazing pickups I've ever heard. Wouldn't stay in tune though. I think the tuners went bad. I was chatting with a guy about how amazing the pickups were while I was playing. The thing was about $125, and that guy seemed like he wanted to nab it.

Played several Bradley strats and teles through the years at Atomic Music. They always seemed to be decent.

10. outtahear

outtahear Supporting Member

Geeze-yet another Veneman employee here-(breifly)'81, maybe?
    Sold the bastards and even owned a Firebird V copy!

11. MBreinin

MBreinin Member

Counsins of mine owned the building Veneman's was in. They owned the funeral home on the other side, Danzansky & Goldberg.

Veneman's was the best.

12. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

I have one too!
    It's red, with a matching headstock and a *good* hardshell case!

I got it used on LA on a business trip and love it. My kids started out right, and I'm still using it. Way better quality than the half size Fenders out there..almost like a maple cap neck!

13. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

I had a Bradley mini-V in yellow I bought from Veneman's in Springfield back in '84-85. Cool guitar! Recently Matt at Action Music had a white one for sale. I freaked out when I saw it hanging on the wall there. I took it down and picked on it for a while. Brought back lots of memories. :dude

14. rastus

rastus Member

Back in my teenage band days, (my first band was called "Cold Ethyl", the next "Speed Limit"... geez...) I had a pair of smokin Japan guitars, a red Hondo LP Custom bolt neck copy (with the "powered by DiMarzio sticker on the guard), and a Cortez Strat copy (white with maple neck and big head...sooo Hendrixy!) The other guitar abusing pimple farmer, whose name was Scott (he had a stage name, get this: Skot Rockalot... man we were goofy back then) had a Bradley Explorer with a glued in neck and a really ugly clownburst Memphis bolt neck LP Std copy. That Bradley looked so great, but it would not stay in tune for anything! It looked super cool when crankin' out "Rock Brigade" by Def Leppard, though. I was impressed by it's smokin hot DiMarzio Super Distortion pickups, too! The bassist had a Bradley P bass copy and the Bradley name was written in cursive, looked like a Fender logo if you squinted a bit. Both those guys dads worked for Alcoa and they lived in the same area Veneman's did business in before moving. We loved our copy guitars. I used a Crate amp (actually looked like a crate), Scott had a bitchen' black solid state Kustom (one of the crappy later models, not the kewl tuck and roll ones) and Doug our bassist actually borrowed a shure console and PA speaker from our high school (he was an A/V geek at school, that rig he used was what we used for PA in the gym at pep rallies) I had a little muff fuzz that plugged into the amp's input, but since my crate had built in distortion Scott used it in the Kustom. Scott later traded the Bradley (he quit digging music as soon as he got a driver's liscense) for a set of 4 Keystone Klassic mag wheels. I bought his Memphis LP and Kustom amp for 80.00. I still talk with Doug, he still has his Bradley Fender copy, still plays it in church, even though he has a real bass amp of his own now. I later traded the Kustom, Crate, both LP copies and the Strat copy for a used Gibson Les Paul and a blackface Fender Deluxe at Goldman's pawnshop in Evansville, IN-straight up! They thought I was crazy for trading all that stuff for the "dusty old stuff" I got. The combined cash price of that LP and Deluxe? 305.00! Those were the days....

15. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

I remember those black and white adds for the Hondo LP copy in all of the guitar mags back in the mid/late '70s.Btw,didn't those Hondo LP's use the black double coil DiMarzio Super II pickups?

Ed

16. rastus

rastus Member

Super II's that is right! Could not remember the model. Good memory, man!!

17. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

WOW! I just found this thread. I never had a bradley, but we sold a few of them, worked for the Venemans in the early 90s. Miss the place, good thing Levin's is still there.

18. DANOCASTER

do any of you Veneman guys know Mark Williams ?

He worked at Veneman for a LONG time. He's one of my closest buddies. I originally met him at the OLD location and he was there until a yr or so after the GC takeover

19. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I worked with Mark for about 3 years there in Rockville. (I'm Peter Hamm, the guy who managed the keyboard department for a short while, also sold guitars a little, too. Would I remember you?) Haven't heard from him in a while. He played with a band called "Jonasay" for a while. They made some great music and Mark was a monster player with a great sound.

20. DANOCASTER

Hey Peter -

I think you may have hooked me up w/ a keyboard a while back. I was Mark's friend who just moved from California in 1990 ( Dan Strain ). I was way into Tylers, Bradshaws, Tri Stereo Choruses, etc..huge rack 80s stuff :jo

My wife , Val, and I had a pop rock band who moved to Nashville from DC and signed w/ Columbia records in 1999 . I still talk to Mark every other day. I mix most of his productions ( which are great BTW ) and we are always chatting gtrs / life

Jonasay is actually recording some new stuff now for a new RE-release of that last record on an indie label

PM me if you want his cell #

anyways... GO BRADLEY