Who remembers Bradley guitars ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by whitehall, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

There's a Bradley Mini - V up for sale or trade on CL in my neck of the woods. It's blue sparkle with a single bucker and TOM-stoptail setup. I just happen to have an item he listed as a potential trade. Would this be worth a trigger pull?

2. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

Only for a fun thing to have around. keep in mind all those miniguitars need pretty hefty strings to play in tune.

3. maccampbells

maccampbells Member

A buddy of mine got a Bradley thinline tele with a bigsby on it last year. Natural finish and maple neck. The Bigsby is a b-bender type thing - it's got levers for two strings and you can select which two strings. I forgot the exact name. It's for sale if anyone is interested. MIJ. PM me if interested.

4. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

Sounds like a Bigsby Palm Pedal. Does it have solid one-piece levers or does each lever have a swing-away handle like a regular Bigsby vibrato?

5. whaler13

whaler13 Member

I bought this guitar at a used instrument shop back in the early 90s.
    I figure it was made in the 70s or 80s---made in Japan.
    I put Claussen tuners and a new Gibson type bridge on it.
    It seems to play well and is very loud, but needs to be set up properly.
    I currently have it listed on Craigslist for $400 with photos.
    I found this thread while trying to research Bradley guitars.
    Any other info available??:worried

6. Release

Release Member

My first guitar was a Bradley Strat from the Springfield store. Black with a blone neck. Great guitar at the time. Wish I still had it.

7. RockinRocky

RockinRocky Member

I don't quite remember where I got it, but vaguely remember paying about $50 to a guy for a Bradley Les Paul Custom from out of his car trunk, (sizzle-sizzle?). pIt was like a 'Black Beauty' copy, played great for a $50 guitar!!
    As far as Veneman's goes, I made out like a fat-cat when GC bought them. I got a Fender CS Strat dirt cheap that had been hanging on the wall behind the counter, and they let me have it for under $250 cause it wasn't selling for some reason, and they were trying to sell all that they could before GC took control after the sale. It was one of a special run of CS 40th Anniversary Diamond Dealer editions, #51 of 150 made. It's value now is quite abit more than I paid, but I play it regularly, I'm not a 'keep it in a glass showcase un-touched' kind of guy!! It's P-UP's scream, and whail like vintage 57's, so I record with it, and my firebird, if I was in a band, I'd probably gig with it...
    As for Giant Music, I remember them too, didn't they become 'Atomic Music'?
    Another great deal I got was for an 'Oscar Schmidt 335 copy', that I got off of e-bay for $63.00, and all I had to do was switch a bridge piece around so the intonation was ALOT closer to correct, and it plays like the real deal. Put a blindfold on, and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the Oscar Schmidt, and a Gibson! So, another company rather unknown, (except for their banjos, and mandolins, etc...), also puts out some really decent copies at really LOW prices!!! Buy, buy, BUY, BUY!!!!!!!

8. SilverSpyder71

SilverSpyder71 Member

9. timryan257

timryan257 Supporting Member

my first electric was a Bradley Les Paul "black beauty", got it at Veneman's in Falls Church for about $100 in 1977 [i think], along with a 1x12 Univox solid state combo. Would love to have them both back now. At some point the way cheap "gold" finish on the pickups and hardware looked really bad, so I sanded it all off, got a somewhat primitive brushed-aluminum look. I think I traded the LP for a moped in college, and I have no idea what happened to the amp.

10. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

I bought my son that same model of Bradley [in blue] when the store was closing out their last run of Bradley guitars a few years back.I installed nickel covered Seymour Duncan pickups [JB/'59 combo] and upgraded the switches/pots/jack to superb results.It's a very good guitar as is,but the upgrades took it up a couple of notches.The neck/frets feel good and it rings out quite nice acoustically.At that prices [or even a bit higher],it would be an excellent deal.

Ed

11. SilverSpyder71

SilverSpyder71 Member

Thank you so much for the info! I have Duncan JB/59' set just waiting for a guitar. Can you help me with specs? Scale, Fret size, and woods? Thnx again :)

12. KRaZeE

KRaZeE Member

My Bradley V:

[​IMG]

As far as I can tell, those are Carvin M22 pups in it (not sure if they were original or not). They are hotter than hellfire. I slapped some Grovers on, the tuners that were on there wouldn't stay in tune. Had to replace the bridge too, as the posts were bent. Pretty smokin' guitar for $100 at an antique show.

misterturtlehead likes this.
  13. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

Yes, the Carvin pickups are replacements.

14. KRaZeE

KRaZeE Member

Thanx for that. I wasn't sure, since there is a lack of info floating around for these. :) It plays really nice for what it is. A new nut wouldn't hurt at some point, but otherwise... :rockin

15. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Member

My first electric guitar was a mini "3/4 scale" white Bradley Strat my dad got me from Veneman's when I was about 6 years old. I think it's still under a bed at his house... I remember it had 2 pickups, a black 2 ply guard, and tan/creme pickup covers with tele style knobs. Even had a mini tolex case. Oh and it was a maple neck. I played the hell out of that little guitar!

16. eyeamtheggman

eyeamtheggman Member

17. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

I'm not real sure about the scale,but I believe that it is the PRS like 25" scale.The frets are of the medium jumbo variety and the woods,though solid and not ply,are most likely of Nato and/or Agathis,though I'm really only guessing.Sorry for not knowing more details.

Ed

18. SilverSpyder71

SilverSpyder71 Member

Thnx. Thats more than I was able to find out on my own :)

19. kimnjerry

kimnjerry Member

I bought a Bradley copy of a Gibson ES-175 at the Rockville store around 1984. The guitar was made, I believe, by Fuji Gen Gakki, and is identical in every detail to the Ibanez 2355M. http://www.elderly.com/items/40U-3032.htm

A couple dings, but plays beautifully. Anyone know its value?

20. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

I would guess maybe in the $350-$500 range.Everything looks pretty good,except maybe the cheap tuners and some odd matching of wood on the neck.

Ed