Who said the Klon sucked as an overdrive?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by minjason, Mar 4, 2008.

1. minjason

minjason Member

For the countless gear pagers who say that the klon is only usable as clean boost, you obviously have not used it with a blackface fender. I used my klon as an overdrive for the first time tonight with my BF bassman cranked, and it just killed. i had the gain at about 3'oclock, the treble at about 2'oclock, and the output at about 10'oclock. I had gotten so used to using my klon as a clean boost and/or an always-on sweetener that i almost forgot how amazing this pedal sounds as an overdrive through a blackface fender. With the gain up, the klon just had so much more girth than all my other ODs...there really was no comparison...it made my strat sound HUUUGE. it even stacked surprisingly well with the gain up, providing that over-the-top sizzle for leads. People often complain about the klon's nasally mids or honkiness with the gain up, but the juicy mids are actually the perfect recipe for a mid-scooped BF fender...the klon really just makes your amp come alive especially in a band mix. ideally, it'd be great to have three klons on the board - one for OD, one for clean boost, and one to keep on at all times...if you haven't tried using a klon with a BF fender, i would highly recommend it!

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

completely agree, I loved it with the gain up right from the start.
    There are amps, and times when it is a little choked, but the sound can get very Warren Haynes'ish and many other things.

My main problem with it is the buffer.

3. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

Yea, most people don't like the OD of the Klon because they're probably not playing loud enough. At bedroom levels, the Klon's overdrive sounds a bit too creamy/loose...crank it up a bit and it really comes alive!

4. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

;)Hammers don't make good screwdrivers...

5. godotzilla

godotzilla Member

At bedroom or gig levels, I found the Klon's OD to be pretty nasal and unremarkable. It certainly wasn't a crappy tone, but it was also nothing even remotely special.

6. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I've found the Klon's OD to be very amp dependant. As a boost it's great with just about anything, but for OD especially at lower volumes, a BF Fender or any amp with more of a scooped mid works best. Seems the OD adds quite a bit of midrange and if your amp already has some mids it gets too nasly.

7. godotzilla

godotzilla Member

That's a good point about amp dependency. The Klon's drive is definitely in the TS realm, with a slight bump in the mids--the same source of nasality exhibited by a Tubescreamer. I'm not a fan of either pedal when it comes to their overdriven sounds, but that's just me.

8. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Use the Klon for what it was desiogned to do: crank. Using it with a clean, solid state, or quiet amp is like inviting the Hefner "girls next door" over for a chat about Aristotle. Get real, get loud.

9. CWFurst

CWFurst Member

:roll

10. marmelade sky

marmelade sky Member

Yes , I agree,

It's quite wonderfull and transparent at clean-boost settings , but getting in mid-gain overdrive territory gives a good mid-hump.
    That's why people playing fender guitars through poor-mids amps (bf) always leave the pedal on when rehearsing , cause when they switch it off, they're lost in the mix and don't cut through anymore.

I personally prefer transparent overdrives , because if I need extra mids playing fender guitar through bf fenders , I get them (the mids) directely at the source with an additiomal mid-control on the guitar such as on Clapton's guitar.
    This way, I don't feel lost in the mix when I switch off the pedal.

11. teXum

teXum Member

Think you are being kinda presumptous here. Tried the Klon with a '65 Vibro Champ, '76 "blackfaced" SFDR, a DRRI and a TRRI, and couldn't disagree with you more. IME & IMHO the mid-humpy Klon just has a very negative influence on the the beautifully mid-scooped cleans of blackface Fenders.

But, as always, Different Strokes for Different Folks:AOK

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I think you all made some excellent points here.
    I have tried my Klon with several Fender (DeVille, Deluxe Reverb II, Concert, Prosonic) and other (Peavey Classic 30, Germino Classic 45) and get varying results. And I mean on the SAME amp on different days.

It's weird for me, the Klon can be amazing, getting that Warren Haynes, Allman bros, or other sounds. I'm talking about with gain up past 11:00 or more, and tweaking the tone control also affects it bigtime.

A tip I got here a while back also, the volume control on the Klon has a lot to give as well, it can make or break some settings. I tended to want to set volume on OD's to be unity or slight boost, but there are times with the Klon where it had to be significant boost EVEN if I adjust down the amp volume to get back to comfort levels....and it would do the trick.

The Klon shines most when the amp is fairly high though. And on some days I think it sounds fantastic while on others it sounds honky, hoky, narrowed down middy, boxy, etc. Same pedal, same amp, different day.

This pedal does this to me way more than any other I own.

The other bugaboo for me, the buffer is not friendly to other buffers...though again a helpful person here informed me they experience this when using George L's and not otherwise, I had so many George L's I am making up a bunch of different sized cables with "Normal" cable and will see how it helps.

The pedal can be amazing. I also like it for boost (and that would end the buffer problem if I just have it on all the time) but I want to use it for OD. I love the OD when it is firing on all cylinders.

It's an aggravating pedal for me.

I go back and forth if it was worth the money. I love my Zendrive and know it was well worth it, and it is much more stable and good for me, but the Klon also gives something (like the ZD does for me) that no other pedal I have been around does.

13. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I have to respectfully disagree with some of the above statements...

I'm one who has a love/hate relationship with the Klon. Love it as a boost - hate it as an overdrive. And I like overdrives with midrange humps as well, but the midrange tone that the Klon imparts just doesn't agree with me.

I've owned the Klon longer than any pedal and have used it through countless amps over the years - Marshalls, Vox, Tweeds, numerous boutiques - AND several Blackface Fenders as well. Never cared for it with the Gain control set above 9:00 - 10:00 with any of them - and I play my amps LOUD as well! So it's not a volume dependent thing, or an amp dependent thing in my case.

Like with all gear and tone - it simply comes down to "we all hear things different / different strokes" IMO.

14. vorvick

vorvick Member

Hey Minjason: What were your amp settings?

15. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

meaningless without clips.

16. minjason

minjason Member

hey vorvick,

my amp settings were:
    Vol: 4-5ish
    Treble: 5
    Bass: 7

17. minjason

minjason Member

i will try to post some clips, but i don't have anything to record with at the moment...

18. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    Except many people would say an AC-30 is not a scooped-mids amp, and the Klon is a great overdrive with an AC-30, especially with the amp cranked up to the edge of break-up (not too hard on an AC-30) and the Klon kicked in to push it over the top.

19. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Anyone try the ethos clean channel as a boost?