Who said ya cant gig with a 100 watter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Red Planet, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Played a Gig this past weekend with my Gnarly JCM 800 2203 into a 2x12 Bogner Cab. Had the Amp Cranked. Hardly none in the PA.

Of coarse we were outside at a large event (for me). Man did I have the tone going on. I cranked the amp and used a pedal to cut the volume for lowere volume dirty rythem. Used my guitar volume for cleans.

2. rastaman

rastaman Member

Ted.....................................Not me!!!

I'm always being told to turn down :D .

Huh?

3. rastaman

rastaman Member

Did I understand the Rastaman Cut Pedal make the venue????????

Going down to play now.....

4. billdurham

billdurham Member

Red Planet,

Good to see you back on TGP...I think its been gone more so than you have, but none the less! :) Hey, what kind of recording setup do you have at home? If I sent you a track, could you wail on it?

thanks,
    BD

5. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Yeah used it. Cool pedal.

I can wail on your tracks Bill as long as they are on hard disc or 8mm vedio tape. No PC stuff here. Hows the Toasty Critter? Like to hear it with all four barrels bangin. :BluesBros

6. billdurham

billdurham Member

RP,

the toast is done! It sounds pretty sweet to my ears.

BD

7. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

The last time I got to do this was in 1994 at an outdoor gig with my 30th Anniversary Marshall stack...blue & gold lighting up the stage, baby!
    [​IMG]

8. bscepter

bscepter Member

I gigged (medium-to-large clubs) with a cranked Marshall Super Bass 100 through a 4x12 for ten years. I was rarely in the PA, but I was never louder than the PA, so we never had a problem. The tone was to die for, of course...

These days, I play a cranked 30w amp (often set to half-power), and I'm still pretty loud...

9. trisonic

trisonic Member

The thing is nothing beats that big, easy feeling of a large guitar amp, really.

Best, Pete.

10. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Last year I was playing in Brattleboro, Vermont with some friends at the Vermont Jazz Studio on the outskirts of town. We were jamming on some hard funk and I had my Rivera Knucklehead Reverb set to operate at 50 watts and felt that I didn't have enough clean headroom so I swithched it over to 100 watts and really cranked it.

When the police came we asked them if it could be heard outside and they said that they could hear it all the way up the valley. As they were leaving the drummer asked," How did it sound?' and one of the officers turned around with a devilish grin and said, "It sounded great!...but try to keep it down, ok?"

Thus was born the motto..."If the cops don't come, it isn't rock and roll."

Nothing beats a 100 watt tube amp, but you will never hear it in it's full glory in a small club.

stratzrus

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I dont think my bandmates had a hard time hearing me and I know the crowd could hear me. We really didnt have a problem. We were playing at a Large Chevy Dealership with the building to our backs and the parking lot as our audience.

I had that freakin Marshall Pumping and didnt have any hearing problems. I've been playing loud arse amps for 31 years.

You just cant believe what this JCM 800 2203 with a Hand Wired Turret Board Kit and the Jeff Andrews Tweaks will do when its percolating. Just imagine this, I'm playing a freakin 52 reissue Tele through it and getting everything from Pristine Clean to Insanity Dirt without external sources. :AOK

12. carltonh

carltonh Member

Someday I'd love to see someone bring a 100 watt full stack or two to the local coffee house... not to turn it all the way up, but to scare people into fear that you might. :D

13. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I've been using a Suhr OD100 Classic and a Marshall 1959HW at all gigs through a 4x12 cab and a Clearsonic panel, no problems. :dude

14. Nomadgtr

Nomadgtr Member

LOL I'd love to do that!:dude

15. PFCG

PFCG Member

I use a 100 watt two rock at every gig. since the loop send level is controlled by a pot, i turn it about half way for small clubs and its mega loud. Im truly afraid to turn it up all the way, but its always heard with the ported back and stuff. I love it. 1x12 is all you need! if it needs to be louder, theres usually a PA and a mic hanging around. These days you can play a 5 watt amp at a stadium if you wanted and you can use 1000 watts at a bar, but i just get what sounds good

16. Roe

Roe Member

I'm never in the PA and certainly not in the monitors.

17. 83stratman

83stratman Member

"Who said ya cant gig with a 100 watter?"

Not me! I play evry gig with a Marshall 4x12 with greenbacks and either a Carvin Legacy or Marshall 2205 head (Ok, the Marshall is a 50 watter!). I guess it helps that I am a preamp distortion kind of guy, it is probably more managable that way.

An interesting point, I used my DRRI with a Mesa 1x12 open back cab at last rehearsal with an Ibanez DS-10 Distortion Charger pedal, and it was able to be louder than I usually have the 100 watt half stack.

18. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

That amp sounded great at the 55 bar... Curious to know what the hotplate was set at.
    Cheers
    Lou

19. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

I haven't tried the 1959HW, but that OD100 Classic is an amazing sounding amp.:JAM

20. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

It's my go to amp now. Incredible tone, now fizzy highs and the effects loop makes a pretty good master.