Who Saw Hendrix Live and His Rig?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Theorywolf, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Theorywolf

Theorywolf Member

I got the honor to see Hendrix and the original Experience in 1969 in North Carolina. He had just cut his hair short with the band around his head. He had his white strat and had no shoes on! I remember that he was having equipment problems before he started playing--the sounds coming from the dark stage were errie, wierd, problem with his wha pedal. But when he started playing, it was thunder! When he dived on a solo, it made the whole arena shake! The police were standing in front of bass player, noel, and making fun of his "Afro" hair Do! Jimi said, laughing, yea, he looks like Bob Dylan's grandmother! When he did the opening to Foxy Lady, it was such a roar, and sounded just like the recording, that the crowd rushed the stage! My favorite memory, however, was a lone Hendrix, drenched in pale blue lighting, playing the opening of "Little Wing"! It was a beautiful moment, and I think he was using his uni-vibe and clean amp! Any body else see him?

Cheers,

Mike

2. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Ah cool...no but I do remember the first time I heard him....
    Was taken to new places....and I never left since:)
    Niels

3. bestegw

bestegw Member

That sounds like one of those once-in-a-lifetime experiences!!! I'm too young to have seen Jimi play, but I caught up to that later. Kinda like Rid said...

The more I hear, read and see about Jimi, the more the feeling catches me that it was really all in the fingers. You can buy all the Marshalls, Strats, fuzzes and U-vibes in the world, but I for one will never be able to go anywhere near what he did, even when playing the same notes on the same rig.

I know this is TGP where fuzzes change lives and all, but seriously... what do you guys think???

BESTEGW

4. geetarman

geetarman Member

Sounds like a great experience to cherish forever I wish I could have seen Jimi but I wasn't even a zygote yet.

5. Cory

Cory Guest

One of the parents of a Saxophone student of mine (that I taught close to ten years ago) saw Hendrix several times. They live across the street from my inlaws. I've had some neat conversations about all the great shows he's seen...including several Hendrix shows. He said loud was an understatement! REALLY wish I could have been around then!

6. fendergeek

fendergeek Member

I have that ("he looks like Bob Dylan's grandmother!" at the opening to Foxy Lady) on CD somewhere. I'll have to find it.

7. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Supporting Member

Only through guys like you brother, thanks for sharing!!

8. drjoel

drjoel Silver Supporting Member

fillmore east- NYC May 10, 1968 opening act- Sly and the Family Stone who had just hit the charts with "dance to the music". thrilling show- opening song- "i don't live today" major highlight- "red house" played on an upside down '54 LP custom. y'know the one with "staple" neck pup. the rest of the show was white strat/ rosewood neck. only concert i have ever been to where i just had no interest in picking up my guitar after the show. jimi did it all!

9. Curly

Curly Member

saw him in '68 in San Diego

what can I say? ..

it was as if a spaceship had landed :)

10. omboy

omboy Member

Hemisfair Arena, San Antonio, TX, May 1970. "Machine Gun" tore my head clean off.

11. bek

bek Member

April 27, 1969, Oakland Coliseum. CD available at Jimihendrix.com. Monster show, especially for a player to appreciate. Jimi was more interested in playing than showmanship. How did he seem to play most of the time with his eyes closed? Just disappeared into it; had to love it. A speedfreak sat right behind me and practically drove me crazy; Jimi too, who tried to talk him into calming down. Geeze what a pain. Jack Casady played on the encore.

12. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

I see a common thread here(me included)nobody seems to remember the gear he was using.Hmmmmm...I wonder why?

13. phatster

phatster Member

I saw him summer of 69 in War Memorial Building in Nashville.I think the building held @2500.It was super loud and very perplexing to figure out what effects he was useing.All you could see on stage was his marshall stacks,I swore he had someone backstage tweakin his sound.I was extremely impressed with the drummer as well!I think the concert was 5 or 6 dollars!!

14. Theorywolf

Theorywolf Member

For me, I think it was his usual gear on the floor and the three Marshall Stacks. I remember being so amazed at how fast this roadie came out after he broke a string on his white strat and changed the string in seconds...like changing tires at a stock car race! I think he also used the flying V on a few tunes. At the end of the night, on the last song, I think he was playing a red strat and everybody thought that it meant that he was going to bust up the guitar. He got into this real fast solo going quickly between his hands and teeth. But he did not destroy his guitar, just threw it into the amp and onto the floor and left, the feedback was going nuts!! I posted this same question on the Fender page about two years ago and in a few days almost had an oral history book on concert goers to the Hendrix shows around the world...very interesting. Forgot to add that his opening act was Chicago. I saw them both for a six bucks ticket.

Mike

Mike

15. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I never did but a friend of my dad's from england saw him a few times I believe. He also saw and met a lot of famous english rock bands before they were famous.

16. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

He says it on the Monterey stuff...

17. bek

bek Member

Wait, I do remember a bit about the playing and gear: white on white strats, 3 Marshalls but only used two (I think; have to see if the pix I took show that). My favorite part: broke a string and a tech came out and swapped it with him during the song. The second guitar was plugged in. Jimi hit an open string on each guitar, slipped one off and the other on, no pause. I have to listen to the CD and see if I can spot it. Ultra cool. No Gibsons, no pyrotechnics or slamming about.

18. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Old School dayz wasn't about what gear you were using.It was all about how you were using it. Used to be the guy with all the cool gear,be it drums,guitars,amps,couldn't play.:D. As an old Schooler I remember things like John Kay and the Kustom bag..Teri Kath and the Les Paul Recording..CCR and the wall of Kustom.. The rest is a blur:D..
    For the guy in San Antonio.I watched them build The Hemisphere tower;)
    Missed Jimi 3 times no advertising for the shows.Did see the Rolling Stones at the State fair 65ish...

19. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

Caught him twice here in Chicago: Opera House & later on at UIC (aborted early due to RF from cabs and noise)-1968. The show at the OH was mystical: Soft Machine opened up with 3-20 minute songs. Lights by The Mark Boyle Traveling Sensual Laboratory. Then Jimi, Noel & Mitch started fiddling around. That night they started with Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band: with a load of Sunn Orion or Colisseum amps. Our collective mouths were drop-jawed the whole time. I'll never forget it.

20. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Lots of times, when I was a kid he was all around the Village. Everywhere you looked there was Jimi . Used to drive around in a white corvette stingray convertable. Cafe Wha as Jimmy James, opening for the Monkees at Forest Hills, New Years at the Fillmore, The Singerbowl, The peace festival at Shea Stadium, and some mud hole in upstate NY.

Yea so I have been Experienced

September 18th just wiped me out I was Blown away.

Fly on Moonbeam
    EnJoY ThE MuSiC
    GrooVey Records