Who saw The James Gang at Carnegie Hall?

Jaimoe

Oh what a live album.

Haunting. Absolutely blows me away every time I hear it.

Hard to believe it's only three guys on stage.

Listen to STOP and WALK AWAY. Talk about stage volume. It sounds like the walls of that famous hall were shaking.

Were you there that night? Could you hear when you left?

And while we're at it, were those Hiwatts Joe was playing?

Please share your story.

picnic

I saw them at the Ice Palace in Brick NJ around then. Great show from what I remember. Walsh was pretty wasted and fell off a stool during the acoustic portion of the show. He brushed himself off, got back on the stool and started to play again. Pretty funny scene and pure Joe Walsh at the time

Saw the James Gang open for the Who on the "Tommy" tour. 1969 and Joe came out in a 3,000-seater old fancy theatre with a Les Paul and a Fender Twin on a barstool. The Who had the walls of HiWatts, Joe with just a silverface Twin.

BobK

I saw The James Gang open for Johnny Winter (with Rick Derringer) at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto on New Year's Eve 1969.

Great show! I met two girls who had a bottle of vodka, so don't remember much of Johnny Winter's show.

Jaimoe

Live in Concert at Carnegie Hall a Hiwatt or Marshall plexi?

Never read any confirmation.

Anyone know?

NashSG

Joe Walsh era James Gang is a really cool band. It seems outside the couple nuggets that have stayed on classic rock radio people don't know this band. "Rides Again" is a great album, maybe the best thing Joe Walsh ever did.

I like the raw sound on the live record. I don't think there are any overdubs there.

mge80

Every time I listen to that, it reminds me of just how much pot I smoked in the '70s. :rockin:bong

ROKY

And Joe played keyboards!
Right !!

One of my favorite tracks on that live album is Tend my Garden .

I'm too young to have seen them but in the early 80s when I first heard
that album in HS I used to go to my church and and play the Hammond C3
organ all the time -- I'd work on that song until I got it right .

Seth L

I saw Beck, Bogart, and Appice open for The James Gang once. Beck stood behind the amps smoking a cigar and watched their whole set. Pretty high praise.

Trending Topics