Who says a Fender amp cant do METAL??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ascension, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Ascension

Ascension Member

Several seemed surprised that a Fender could get into metal tone territory in the Super Sonic does Metal thread. I have a Super-Sonic head and knew it could get pretty heavy but doing metal without a pedal is a stretch. The real Fender Metal Monster was the now discontinued Bruce Zinky designed Prosonic.
    There are no effects here other than the wah on the solo track this is all Fender Prosonic gain. I played my 94 handbuild Washburn USA prototype with a EMG 85 into the Prosonic sitting on my 4/12 with GT12 75 Celestians and I used a George Dennis wah on the solo track.
    The Fender Prosonic has more gain available that a TSL 100 Marshall head does.
    http://www.box.net/shared/luoytg2qso
    This is with me having NOS Mullard 12AT7's in V1-3 on the Prosonic to KILL some gain and it's still not running much over 5 on the pre gains.

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Not me! I think your playing is better than mine,the Prosonic sounds good, but my clip of my Supersonic sounds meatier/heavier than that-not that it doesnt sound good-it does,just not heavier-seriously. Bob

3. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

My Fender Roc Pro 1000 was so ridiculously overgained at 100 W blowing through one 12 inch speaker that my wife practically threw it out of the house when we got married! Yep, not your typical chimey fender.

4. Ascension

Ascension Member

The SS is more the Rec style Nu metal tones and the Prosonic the modded Marshall classic hairband tones. You need to hear um side by side to really get the picture. I have one of each trust me the Prosonic is MUCH more agressive. Do keep in mind I did the hairband 80's metal thang back in the day so to me that's a true classic metal tone. On the Nu-Metal stuff the nod goes to the SS.
    I'm not taking anything away from the SS. Hey it's a great rig heck I BOUGHT one to go with my Prosonic. Frankly I use my Super-Sonic playing out probably a little more than the Prosonic due to the versitility of the amp.
    Oh and nope on the part about me playing better bro just we're just a little "different" :BEER.

5. digital jams

digital jams Member

Metal is an attitude, just like any other disipline.

Well.......and a good boost pedal.

6. Ascension

Ascension Member

The old M80's were gain monsters too and with the right cab for Dime style CHUNKIN stuff ROCKED!!

7. Ascension

Ascension Member

Agreed and well put sir ;)!

8. bosstone

bosstone Member

I was a Led Zeppelin freak like so many of us back in the day. I could fall to sleep (and did) to cranked up Led Zeppelin I & II played round and round on my 8 track player. I think I know Jimmy Pages sound. In the early 70s I heard a band called "First Friday" so some Led Zeppelin songs. The guitar player had a real 59 Les Paul and was playing it through a pre CBS Twin Reverb with JBL's. I don't know what pedals he was using but he had an Echoplex and he had a very convincing Page sound. He was cranked up high and playing at Stephan Center (a large geodesic dome) at the University of Notre Dame. This must have been around 1971.

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

That makes sense. I was totally after a nu-metal sound! Treble up, mids way down,bass full up. Hey I'll take a Prosonic too! Its definately an amp that didnt get its fair share of attention!
    :BEER Bob

10. Ascension

Ascension Member

FYI I was running the Prosonic with a lot of mids and the highs up as well. It does the mid scooped tones VERY well.
    With it's active tone controlls the Prosonic has a LOT of range in the controlls. There is more gain on 5 with the Prosonics cascaiding dual gains than the SS has dimed. The Prosonic is smoother and more buttery in the solo voice but the Super-Sonic is more open and gritty. The cleans are also softer, warmer and bigger sounding on the Prosonic but it lacks the headroom of the SS and breaks up much quicker.
    Both amps are a LOUD 60 watts but I give the solid edge to the Prosonic in volume. The Super-Sonic is much easier to controll and get solid tones from in the lower volume situations. With the triple rec settings and the class A 30 watt mode the Prosonic can get some solid tones at resonable volumes but really smooths out and comes into it's own when it's cranking.
    The Super-Sonic is like the taimer and more "civilized" classic rock version of the flame throwing super high gain Prosonic.
    Both amps are real winners IMO.

11. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

i used to laugh at the other guys i worked w/ saying how awesome the prosonic was back in the day.
    then i heard it.
    i could coax some awesome blackout era scorpions out of that thing.
    now i tell other guys about it and they laugh the way i did.
    they'll come around! :)

12. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

I did some work on a prosonic recently and was quite taken with the high gain tones.The cleans sucked bad,but the high gain was really good.
    I took it to a gig and needed some real grind for a couple of songs and looked in my gig-bag and noticed I had brought my strat.No problem!The Prosonic's high gain sounds make every guitar sound the same!
    Mud or heavy metal,the prosonic did it all.Reverb was delightfully bland too.
    It is a great concept but need upgrades to make it really shine.It is very well built inside but uses some cheaper components for footswitching and reverb.
    Mr.Zinky gives some mods on the internet for it,but why it wasn't like that out of the box,who knows?It could have been a real great selling amp.
    Oh,and it's very heavy for a 2-10 combo.Feels like lugging around an AC30.

13. Ascension

Ascension Member

If the Prosonic you were running made every guitar sound the same then .1-your tone deaf or 2- you plugged in and just dimed the controlls!!
    The two Prosonics I have owned were simply the MOST dynamic and touch synsitive amps I have ever played through PERIOD!!
    Made the Soldanos, Boogies ,Marshall, Carvins, Yamahas ect I have owned sound one dimentional. Heck mine is so synsitive on the imput side with the ultra high imput impedence these have I can tell the difference in tones of most cable types!!! The down side though is these are ultra synsitive to ANY noise in the imputs.
    Dime um and yep they turn to mush. Learn the little trick that less is more and run every controll starting below 5 and dial from there ( The tones are all ACTIVE so 5 is like wide open on most other amps ) and the Prosonic come to life.
    The cleans are subjective but as long as you are not trying to play at ear bleed levels quite solid. A little compressed and on the warm side but for me that's exactly what I want.
    Here is that sucky Prosonic clean BTW http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=261302&songID=5141858
    What you discribe is exactly what killed these amps in the showrooms. Folks were coming in seeing what looked like a blackfaced combo or head plugging into a Prosonic and diming them not understanding that the amps didn't respond anything like a typical Fender.

14. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

Didn't that JABS guy from the scorpions play a prosonic ? I know its old school metal, but those guys rocked.

15. Ascension

Ascension Member

Haven't heard that but it's interesting. I can believe it as they do have those kinds of 80's metal tones available in spades. I know the guitarist for Jimmy Buffet played a Prosonic for a while as did the guys in Sonic Flood.

16. Voxy Foxy

Voxy Foxy Member

I'll say a fender can't do metal...If I was playing metal, this is just not the tone I'd be going for.

On the plus side, you can play it!

17. marillion-freak

marillion-freak Member

So was the Prosonic the base for the design of Zinky's Mofo? I've never heard a Mofo, but its supposed to have over the top gain, which is what I heard in the first sound clip posted. Anyone know how the Prosonic compares to a Zinky 50-watt Blue Velvet? Just wondering. I've been interested in the SS, but I'm reluctant to spend my money on something that isn't made in USA.

18. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Maybe this? More of a nu-metal heavy.I'll say that clip of the Peosonic sounded pretty 80's metal though.....
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=333016 :dudeBob

19. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

As a former owner of both superb amps,I can testify to these statements...and boy,how I miss them.

:(

Ed

20. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I haven't played the amps in discussion but I'm always kindof amused when guys say X amp can't do Y genre. The entire idea of a gained out rock/heavy sound came from making an amp do somthing it wasn't really designed to do. I've coaxed some very heavy tones from a HRD in the past. Maybe not stand alone heavy but with a heavy playing band.