Who says you can't wear shorts on stage...

jekylmeister

Raconteur Extraordinaire
Silver Supporting Member
Steve's substance abuse issues are pretty well documented.

tumblr_mr0rk4CEVb1qeqy5vo1_250.gifv
If that's the case, I am uninformed, but if true not surprised.

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Really? Wow! I just don't picture him like that.
I'm guessing because of the beer can in his hand they might be doing "Alcohol" and not something from "Schoolboys in Disgrace" but who knows? I do remember the girls on some of those '70s tours.

RockDC

what? context?
Context: 2005. Battle of the Bands Competition. The rated you on musicianship, stage presence, flow, timing, professionalism, fitting the look.

We scored high in musicianship, flow, and professionalism. Lost in stage presence and fitting the look. Specifically it was because I wore "basketball shoes" and because our bass player moved around a lot on stage. I was wearing Nike Air Jordan 1's which is what a lot people wear now on stage. The judges knocked us. We were second place by 2 points and didn't advance.

Superficial and stupid if you ask me...

guitarman3001

If you are a huge star you can wear shorts on stage.

If you never want to play live again with a band, wear shorts on stage.

hmm....I don't know about that. I've played somewhere in the upper hundreds to possibly over a thousand gigs in my lifetime. Been wearing shorts at plenty of those over the last 15 years. Still getting gigs, still nailing auditions (few and far between, fortunately), still wearing shorts - day gigs, night gigs, indoor, outdoor, etc... I take several things into account - venue, crowd, comfort, etc... and wear what's appropriate. Fk wearing a tuxedo at an outdoor marina/tiki bar gig in the Florida Keys in the middle of summer. For those it's shorts, a sleeveless t-shirt, flip flops, and backward baseball hat!

The Anti-TGP!!

Bring it on!!!
:mob

Simon

Silver Supporting Member
If you saw those guys in that era (late 70's), you'd better understand Steve's dress. I have never seen a singer, keyboardist, front man, more active than that guy. It was an athletic event. He was in constant motion for the entire show. It was very impressive. I'd have swore drugs were involved, but knowing what I know about those guys, I doubt it. Steve was a force of nature and a vocal powerhouse. Now, having said that, shorts are not cool on stage IMHO.

I got to warm them up once in Kalamazoo. they were nice to us.

MadFrank

Silver Supporting Member
Americans, Canadians, Germans... Honestly, you're all wearing cargo shorts, socks&sandals, and wraparound glasses. If that's what you're talking about, well, that's too much even for the rehearsal room. Like wtf man, are you mocking us, go home and get dressed. Shorts? Over 28°C. So ugly it's not even funny? No.

I don't know mate, they are on holiday relaxing and not hurting anybody, not trying to impress anybody. I don't think they are mocking or disrespecting the Italian locals, far from it. They are just wearing what they would in their leisure time anywhere in the world. You get older and you stop caring so very much about impressing others with your style, you just want to blend in and forget about it.

Britishampfan

hmm....I don't know about that. I've played somewhere in the upper hundreds to possibly over a thousand gigs in my lifetime. Been wearing shorts at plenty of those over the last 15 years. Still getting gigs, still nailing auditions (few and far between, fortunately), still wearing shorts - day gigs, night gigs, indoor, outdoor, etc... I take several things into account - venue, crowd, comfort, etc... and wear what's appropriate. Fk wearing a tuxedo at an outdoor marina/tiki bar gig in the Florida Keys in the middle of summer. For those it's shorts, a sleeveless t-shirt, flip flops, and backward baseball hat!

The Anti-TGP!!

Bring it on!!!
:mob

It was a joke. Wear whatever you want, shorts, no shorts, naked whatever.

Metal guys have always worn shorts. In fact in my experience, the more shorts on stage, the more likely you are to hear something weird, interesting, and bruuuutaaallll.

Top Bottom