who should play the gig ?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dave Shoop, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

I've got a scenario that may or may not be an issue for the parties involved. Neither person may have an issue with whatever I do but I still have to make a move.

7 piece tribute band has been working for 7 years together. We are part time but do travel and do really nice shows over the summer months. Normally we book 20 to 30 nice shows a summer. One member also chooses to take a few "high profile gigs with another act". He gives me a list of dates to block for him as the booking season evolves. Some blocks are for non music related things and some are to play with another band. Because of this I got a sub who knows our material and does a nice job. ( He likes subbing but also does other things as well ).

The member blocks a date months ago. I get a sub to do an offered show. Last week I get a call from the agent and they want to move us from a Friday ( date sub was asked to do ) to a Saturday. Band member hears of this and sends me message he is available to do the Saturday gig.

I'm taking this to mean he is saying if the sub can't do the rescheduled date he would be available.

My gut feeling is since the sub was asked to do the Friday at the venue he should be asked to do the switched date which he said he was available to do. He shouldn't be penalized because the venue switched dates.

What would you do ? Use the sub or use the regular person ? Do you think the band member would be irked if the sub was used or do you think he would completely understand ?

Who should get first crack at it ?

I have my thoughts on this but just wonder what someone else thinks.

This could be a TLDR lol

JBid likes this.
  2. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

The sub.

You're pulling a date that you booked with him, otherwise. That's not cool.

3. spyeman

spyeman Member

Your regular bandmate should not make this an issue or force you make any decision. He should graciously accept that this is the subs gig. If he doesn't, he's a douche.

4. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

That is my thinking and as I said the band member may be in complete agreement. I only ask because I've found lately many things that I think are no brainers turn out to be disagreed with by many. Just wondering how the masses here will see it. I'm pretty sure it will all be cool and maybe even the rest of the band will agree but that rarely happens. Lol

JBid likes this.
  5. enocaster

enocaster Member

The sub exists for times the band member can't make it. This isn't one of those times. New night = new gig. In my book, at least.

6. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Use the sub. It's the right thing to so. I was subbing with a funk/soul band and did three gigs with them, but was booked for at least three more going back to October, which the leader pulled from me for various reasons, none of which were my fault. The latest one was for May 28, because they're, "getting a new drummer in line." My response was, this is the third time you've pulled this on me and it'll be the last, unless you you give me a signed contract the next time. I told him he had no integrity and should have honored the dates we had booked.

I have a good mind to splash his name all over the 'net.

Washburnmemphis and JBid like this.
  7. Dickey

Dickey Member

I go through this all the time, & it has happened to me. The sub should get it. If the regular guy is unwilling or unable to commit to all the dates with a band he is a member of, then he should accept the consequences if you can't commit the new gig to him. I have been on both ends of it, & have zero problem either way.

8. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Technical answer - new date = new gig.

The "right thing to do" -- probably offer to sub though I don't think that's "required", it's as if his sub date was cancelled. I'd probably offer to the sub.

9. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

Dude.....YOU are the bandleader! Who would you rather have on the gig? Also, if the main guy is insistent tell him he needs to sacrifice a little dough for the sub. It just would be a kind gesture! Make the guy feel appreciated!

10. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

Also, do you even know if the sub is available for the date change? And who got the sub? You did-give the sub the gig and don't burn the bridge, your player did use who you'd rather use and let him deal with it!

11. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Exactly...it's the sub's date unless he gives it up.

12. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

something sorta similar happened to me once. it was a while ago... so i don't remember the exact details... but i remember i called a friend to sub for me. my plans fell through. i never even thought about calling the sub and trying to take the gig back. i enjoyed the night off.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  13. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I agree. I'd go with the original player if he's available. I sub for other bands occasionally. If something like that happened and the original guy could make it, I wouldn't be offended at all if they told me thanks but we don't need you after all.

14. MrLahey

MrLahey Member

If the sub took the original date and the venue changed the date its still the subs gig unless the sub is unable to do the new date.
    Regular guy shouldnt nake it an issue and should be gracious about it. Just my 2 cents.

15. Nurk2

Nurk2 "Ignore Everybody" ~Hugh MacLeod

The sub.

/thread

Peteyvee, RhytmEarl and EricPeterson like this.
  16. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

agree 100% - the sub was booked for this GIG, not just the date. he has already made plans to do it. the regular guy had already planned NOT to do it.

when this situation has happened to ME as a bandleader, I have usually given the date to the sub. and once in a while, I would consult with both players and end up having them BOTH on the gig for fun, splitting the money and usually putting a little more $$$ in from the tip jar or off the top....sometimes we had some really epic nights by having both guys play!

Peteyvee likes this.
  17. dave s

dave s Member

Your sub already committed to the gig. The gig is his to keep, if the date changes works for him.

And I can pretty much guess who needs to block out dates for 'other projects!'

dave

18. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

The Sub of course - the date change doesn't change the offer
    nor would it be fair to the Sub to pull the date from him/her.

19. RTR

RTR Supporting Member

Definitely the Sub, especially since it's only being moved one day.

20. vltjd

vltjd Supporting Member

Count me in with the new night = new gig, use regular band member. Have been on both ends of this. Didn't bother me to lose the gig either way. Stuff happens.