Who sold their amps, went digital and never looked back?

Did you sell your amps and go digital

• Yes

Votes: 113 52.3%
  • No

Votes: 103 47.7%

• Total voters

bateman

I'm thinking about doing the same....

What setup do you use also if you did the switch?

*EDIT* Though of this late, but also have any of you had issues switching to all digital and playing with another guitar player who uses amps? Any attitude? Problems with finding your space in the mix? Any attitude from FOH guys? Also any feedback from the crowd about your sound?

Last edited:

Ejay

I wouldn’t recommend letting all you amps/cabs go on day 1 of your modeling journey.
No fullrange speaker will ever deliver the same as a traditional cab.
Some are ok with that…some..like me..are not.
Yet all my rigs include a modeler.

When I play IEM gigs I only use the modeler.
Recording…modeler
Other gigs..either modeler into a tube poweramp / return of combo….or…an analog preamp, modeler on efx & foh IR duty…again into tube power&cab.

Though many are cool with it…modeler into fullrange wedge is not even an option for me…don’t like it at all.

DrewJD82

AxeFX III/FM9.

At the time I got rid of the amps and went AxeFX, I wasn’t playing out and really had no intention of doing so for years down the road. Turns out that was only 2-3 years, when Fractal put out the FM9 and I got mine, I think it was all of 20 minutes before I started thinking “This would be AWESOME in a live situation.”

I run it into actual guitar cabs with an option to go direct to a board if need be. I’ve got no problem going direct in the studio, but live I still enjoy coming out of cabs, enough to go through the hassle of carrying them up and down the stairs to my apartment.

burningyen

Yep, sold off my amps 13 years ago. At the time I was running an RP355 into a Power Engine 60. After spending a few years with a Kemper into a K10.1, nowadays I’m running a Helix into a CLR.

Fro68

Silver Supporting Member
I sold both of my amps and my entire pedalboard after buying my Axe III and Xitone powered wedge.
I should add that I'm a home player and keep it about 90db or so.

arojas

Apartment/hobbyist user: I'm probably going to sell my DSL40CR and keep my 68 CPR, which I made home-friendlier by replacing the stock speaker with a WGS Veteran 10. Very happy with my HX Stomp for practicing.

jbright44

Never looked back. Here is my original review of the Helix when I first got it back in 2016. My love for the helix has only grown stronger as it's just gotten better and better.

smellytele

Silver Supporting Member
I could gig happily with my FM3 setup and never use one of my amps again, but I'm using a ps100 into a guitar cab, so I'm kinda cheating. I did trade one amp off for a very nice guitar since getting the FM3, but I've kept all my others and recently added an amp to the stable. The amps I've got are special to me for various reasons and that's why they will stay. But my FM3 has become the center of my gigging setups.

liordino

Had an Egnater Rebel 30 with it's matching 1x12 but live in an apartment and could hardly use it on low volume, so sold it. Sometimes I regret it and want to get one of the Revv's lunchbox amps.

Tito83

I did that for 7 years. I've always missed the feel of tube amps, but modelers are very practical for gigging and that made me stick with it. Covid hit, gigs died of, the appeal went away. I was a long time Helix user, got frustrated so I sold it. Made one last try with a Fractal Fm3, still got frustrated, it lasted a couple of months.

I have a Laney Cub12 now, a very modest valve amp. Played a gig with it this weekend, first one I've done without a modeler in 7 years. Enjoyed playing like I haven't in a long time.

DallasD

Silver Supporting Member
I went all-in on modeling and FRFR many years ago and sold everything else. One day, I tried out a guitar in a local store and played through a simple tube amp in a private room and it was an eye opener - pure tone AITR. I had to have that after experiencing it again.

I'm now firmly in the modeler/device into guitar cab game instead of FRFR, and the Fryette PS-2 made it possible for me to enjoy tube amps at home.

vsthem

As a multi instrumentalist, I used to have to build different pedalboards for every gig, Now I have a QSC K10, an HX Stomp, and presets/IRs for Violin, Mandolin, Steel String/Classical Guitar, Elec Guitar and Bass. I've sold all my amps and pedals (except a couple that mostly live in a drawer) and never looked back. Better tones, more flexibility, and it's all there, ready to go at any time.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom