1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Who still has EMG single coils in their guitars and also who has moved on.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by telelion, May 24, 2011.

1. telelion

telelion Member

I first put a set of EMG SA's in a Strat in the mid 80's and though it is not number one, I think it will always be a keeper for what it is.

Just interested in how many of you have guitars with EMG's in them, particularly single coils, but if you have HB's too, you can chime in as well. And also, I'm curious from those that have had them and perhaps felt you no longer bonded with them and you've moved on.

So, any EMG love out there and your current impressions of them.

2. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

I have a strat with the David Gilmour pickguard loaded into it...I love it!

I think it sounds very Straty....not far off really...and the active tone controls are tons of fun & right up my ally.

I bought it because I bonded with the guitar itself...its the first & only Strat I really bonded with as far as playability....I can always change the pickups.

But it came already with the EMG set in it & I really like it...I don't think I'll be changing it any time soon.

3. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

I had an SA/SA/81 setup in my Ibanez RG for a decade. There was a lot to like about them. Only downside is that they didn't sound especially different in the different positions.

4. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I had a Tele with a set (don't remember which ones). I really dug the tone of them. My problem was that I kept running out the battery by leaving my cable plugged in :(

5. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

i had emg sa's in a custom strat build....
    from '86 til '89

then i replaced the neck and middle with Bill Lawrence noiseless singles, and the bridge i replaced with a Duncan Little 59'r

much much better for me.

the emg's were fine as performers, they just felt sterile to me.

6. sonic_777111

sonic_777111 Member

I have an EMG split-coil in my bass, if that counts.

7. kenneth

kenneth Member

Still use a strat from the late 80's that has EMG SA from similar time period. Nicely yellowed. I still use it often, usually for super clean rhythm tones, or super distorted tones. I use another strat for the slightly dirty bell-like tones, rock/blues tones, that has vintage-style pickups. Both work well for me and have their niche.

8. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

My Tele has EMG Tele pickups in it, and they're fantastic. Not going anywhere.

9. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

i used and endorsed EMG all during the 90s, when i was touring a lot and playing pretty high gain stuff -- i NEEDED the quiet EMG pickups, and used their SPC and EXG controls (gilmour setup)

but then went back to my old DImarzios -- when they came out with the Area series, as well as the HS series....

10. M55ikael

M55ikael Member

I use the DG-20 pickguard and it sounds great. I do have a slight noise issue though. It seems to be amplifying some high rf frequencies. I also miss my tone control. Love the mid boost though.

11. Be.eM

Be.eM Member

I've got plenty of 89-SA-89 and 85-SA-SA equipped guitars. No wish yet for a change…

12. Darkness

Darkness Member

I've got the DG-20 and KH-20 setup in two axes. Really nice tones with both sets. I also have a SL-20 set that I picked up for nothing on Amazon. I fubared the pickguard for it, so I need to order another before I can swap them into either axe. BTW the solderless setup makes it moronically easy to install them.
    I really dig passive pups too, but usually end up playing the DG-20 because they're able to cover so much tonal ground with the active EQ's on board.

13. sahhas

sahhas Member

had a steinberger gl3t w/ 3 emg sc's in it....had it for 11 yrs, sold it 10 yrs ago....miss it at times, they sounded great, but moved on.....

14. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

I have EMG's Steve Lukather set and a set of SA/SA/81. I made a custom set using the Lukather in the neck position and SA in the middle and 85 /81 respectively in the bridge positions.Currently they are installed a Valley Arts Custom Pro and a Anderson Pro Am Classic. Sounds awesome...

15. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

I put a set of SA's in my 73 Hardtail Strat. Back in the 80's, I liked the way they drove the effects, but I've been wanting to take em out, and put in the stock p/u's. I don't play the guitar much anymore, and I hate changing the battery too. I wish I had the stock 3 way switch that came with the guitar, but I changed that out a long time ago. But anyway, the 73 is going back to the stock pups, and if i remember correctly, they sound great, but make some noise, and I used to shock the crap out of myself with em.

16. wemedge

wemedge Member

I have a H-S-H configuration of '89s and an SA in my strat. The 89s are "split (not true splitting, of course) with push pull pots. I also have a DG-20 set, as well as two Steinbergers with 81s and 85s. I like them still, but also use passives. I like the single coils, particularly with the DG circuit.

wemedge

17. Eminor7

Eminor7 Member

I have an SA/SA/81 set in this guitar.

[​IMG]

18. Phalanx200bc

Phalanx200bc Member

Another DG-20 EMG fan here....

Its in a Fender American Deluxe Special whatever..... Its a Mahogany Strat.

Get thick and very HB like with the SPC and EXG controls....but still gives a great quack out of phase too.

I must admit... ill most likely go Dimazio Areas for my next Strat or those Lindy Silent Single Coils

My Steinberger also has 81/85's......

19. loki1982

loki1982 Member

My Peavey has an 85 bridge, sa middle, and duncan quarter pound in the neck with a volume for each and a 5 way switch. There aren't many tones that I can't get out of it. The only change I can see making is adding some mini toggles with tone caps so I can flip each knob between volume/tone functions.

20. packermann

packermann Member

I had the SAs in a 77 strat for about 15 years. I also had the active tone control set up and a booster pre amp. Overall I was pretty happy with them but I decided to install a set of Lindy Fralin pickups and I was surprised to hear the more natural overtones and harmonics. I am glad I decided to make the switch. The old style pickups capture the sound I am after much better.