Who takes vitamins and other supplements? Do they work?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by SPH77, Mar 31, 2013.

1. sleewell

sleewell Member

if you pay for vitamins/supplements i am pretty sure you are going to say they work.

2. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

Good post and I agree. I'll give doctors a pass cause there not the ones ultimately in control of your body. They also have a job to do and if they were to tell everyone what they really need to do (which they try to like no smoking, cut down on sweets/fats, no alcohol etc..) folks wouldn't follow it nor want to hear the truth despite any skill gaps by the Dr. on the subject. Least IMO. It would also be time consuming to baby sit folks. Writing a prescription is the fast track to get folks out the door, possibly prolong the inevitable, and make more money in the process. Of course they are persuaded by the high $$$$ powers that be as well.

I see folks partying on Lipitor like it's a new lease on grease life. Wrong. No perceived magic bullet out of a bottle is gonna save anyone from bad genes, habits, or lifestyle choices... vitamins and supplements included.

3. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

I take One a Day Men's 50+.

Just a week and a half ago I got a year older so it appears to be working.

4. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

My wife has me on a really good regimen. It's here field so she's up on the latest information. I feel great and my medical checkups and athletic performance suggest that it's working.

5. kugelblitz

kugelblitz Member

^This.

Get tested. If you have a deficiency, you can take Vitamins. Otherwise, you will just pee out the excess.

6. Madsen

Madsen Member

& he's gonna resurrect his dad.

7. SPH77

SPH77 Member

Ha ha. Yeah dayglow yellow is a good description.

Thanks for sharing. Anything you can share further about?

What supplements are you taking for the blood pressure? Thanks for sharing.

8. wilerty

wilerty Member

I'm 66 and have had medical issues for decades, which are reasonably well controlled. I have also been taking some suppliments for a long time. Most of them have been mentioned here before. The comments I will make:

Vitamin D3 - As we get older this is a good suppliment to consider.

Co-Enzyme Q10 - If you are on a statin drug it can affect your muscles in some people, causing pain. Taking CoQ10 in its best form, Ubiquinol, can help a great deal. Warning ... this isn't cheap.

Curcumin - It is also known as Turmeric. I take this successfully for a specific matter. However, if you pop Aleve, Advil, etc several times a day, you may want to read up about this. The long term use of pain killers can cause serious problems.

9. johnelli

johnelli Member

I take Super Beta Prostate - it's specifically designed for men and it gives me all the essential vitamins and minerals I need. It also contains beta sitosterol derived naturally from plant sources and that keeps the prostate healthy.

10. neastguy

neastguy Member

I take 1,000 units a day for Vitamin D ( I had my blood tested, just started taking this and feel no different yet)
    and Carlson's fish oil ( testing this out to see if it does anything to lower my cholesteral) oddly enough.. not that I have bad skin or anything.. but it seems to have cleared me up a little.. hard to describe.. but seemed to happen after about a week of taking it.. strange..

also.. on workout days I have a scoop of protein powder in a a shake..... 6 days a week

finally, low dose baby aspirin.. thats it...

11. drolling

drolling Member

My vitamin/mineral intake's prescribed; An endocrinologist's had me on vitamin D & calcium carbonate based on bloodwork, and my anesthetist put me on Omega 3-6-9 (fish oil) years ago to help control joint pain

Just recently, I started getting monthly injections of B12. While testing hasn't shown I require supplementation in this case, I think it's improved my energy levels significantly

But, IMO, most people on vitamins who don't have clinical deficiencies are just wasting their money

12. stag7533

stag7533 Member

Work? Well....I'm still alive aren't I?

13. Bozak

Bozak Member

I think when we're young our bodies can deal with vitamin deficiencies, but as we get older those same deficiencies can be really bad, and unless you have a great diet you'll probably have deficiencies, and many of us don't have such a great diet, so I think most adults should take supplements, which is why I started taking a multi every day a few years ago, so while I think we piss out a lot of the pill I also think we use some of it, so why not? it's should never replace healthy eating but it can only help IMO.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  14. nchesher

nchesher Member

Fish oil
    Multi
    5g BCAA's - lifting recovery
    Creatine

15. harmonicator

harmonicator Member

Multi Vit
    Triglyceride form of fish oil
    vit D
    probiotic 2x/week

16. p19978

p19978 Member

Catalyn, B-100, Fish Oil

17. MoPho

MoPho Pho Shizzle

Taking a multivitamin somehow allows me to better tolerate stress, all things being equal.

18. hellbender

hellbender Member

No. Your body is perfectly capable of peak performance from a balanced diet.

No discernable benefits as most are just destroyed in the stomach, unless they are enteric coated or excreted by the liver and kidneys as unnecessary.

So unless you are British conscript from the 18th century who has been at sea for 3 months, no not necessary and a huge waste of money.

19. RLD

RLD Member

I take them and have for years.
    Its funny how on one hand people say the food supply is being ruined by pesticides, genetic manipulation, etc. to where today's food is nutrient poor yet there is no need for supplements?
    Basic vitamin supplements are inexpensive if you know where to shop and I feel its good insurance.
    I also exercise regularly and for the most part have a very good eating habits.

20. RLD

RLD Member

Actually those who depend on peak performance for a living take lots of supplements in addition to a good diet.