Who thinks Frank Marino should be invited to play in the next G3 concerts?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by StudioRat320, Dec 19, 2009.

1. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

I've been revisiting his music lately and the guy is simply amazing. I think he'd make a great contrast to the technical shredders we've seen in the past. Anyone agree???

2. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

One of my favorite players. Geeze that "Real Live" record of his a few years back was just incredible. I think he would fit right in there. He is a bit different than those guys but he has the chops. I think it would be cool. Would def be a G3 show I'f buy a plane ticket to go see. I sent Frank an email about 5 years ago and he actually answered me. I was really impressed. He seems like a genuinely nice guy.

3. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

I'm a producer mostly these day and i spoke to Frank about a year ago. awesome guy and actually said if I needed and could afford him, he'd play on one of my tracks.

The thing I like about him is that's not afraid to experiment. He's into all forms of music and welcomes a challenge.

I think I'm gonna start collecting signatures.:rockin

4. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Yngtchie Blacksteen Member

I don't know, I just don't think G3 ever shows the guitarists in the best possible light during the jams.

5. Balok

Balok Member

[​IMG]
    I see your point.
    Paul - check out ear buds sometime.
    Although they are smaller than the sauce pans EJ wore.
    (no "lets hear your CD" comments needed - I love PG and EJ)

6. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

I'd like to see Yngwie on another G3. Love him or hate him, the dude can play some guitar.

7. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Frank is my hero..... He's one of my biggest influences hands down. I suppose it would be a recognition thing for him but personally, i'm happy to see him at the small venues i've seen him at though the years.

8. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

I only got to see him once. It was in San Antonio back in the 80s. I missed him in Nashville a couple years ago and I was pissed.

9. BBSuggs

BBSuggs Gold Supporting Member

I'm a fan. Watching his pentatonic flurries in the 70s and 80s was quite inspirational. I recall one show at Will Rogers Auditorium in Ft Worth, TX, where he came out for an oncore with a Flying V, played a couple of riffs and screamed for his SG. I forget what song he played. Seems like the Red Rocker, Sammy Hagar, opened the show.

I saw him again in Wichita Falls, TX, with early Quiet Riot opening the show. Then came Marino, then came a short haired Peter Frampton, which didn't work. Marino's show that night seemed rather perfunctory. Lacked the fire and intensity of the Will Roger's gig. Probably because he was buried in the bill.

As to the G3 thing, sure, why not. Not sure he'd compete these days in terms of speed. But so what.

10. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Exactly. A tune like Tales of the Unexpected is anything but pentatonic shredding. One of the few rock guitarists that can go into other territories very convincingly.

11. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

While I like his playing, I don't see him being a big enough draw for G3.

12. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I was almost thinking that too. While Eric Johnson and Paul Gilbert are not household names, they get lots of press in guitar circles. Frank seems to ride under the radar a bit, which I think he prefers.

Back in the day, he basically told the labels and the press to F**k OFF after not being treated fairly by either. Another reason I admire him. He's doin it his way.

I obviously don't know him personally and I can't say this is the case, but this is the impression I get.

13. suhrbrutal

suhrbrutal Senior Member

I love Frank Marino, but I don't think his style would really fit in. Maybe a Trower, Marino, Trout, or someone else tour would be more in line. I would go for sure.

14. madaxeman

madaxeman Member

I would pay to see that, but agree he probably would not be a good fit. I look at G3 as being a monster shredder thing where Frank is merely a MONSTER player. Although didn't Kenny Wayne Shepherd do one? That's probably weirder than Frank doing one.

15. Tonal Comfort

Tonal Comfort Supporting Member

I'd go see him with G3! Saw him twice in the last four or five years. He was amazing. The guy can jam! He is a really inspirational player. Many of you know that he uses a Foxrox Octron. (He customized his to function like the Octron 2 before the Octron 2 existed). Last time I saw him, he was in the middle of an instrumental breakdown section where he and his bass player were trading licks. He (clearly impromtu) kicked in the Octave down setting on the Octron and suddenly it was like two bass players trading licks. Most of the audience were somewhat confused to hear bass tones coming from his guitar, but everyone onstage was cracking up!

16. Steedee

Steedee Member

The FRANK MARINO & MAHOGANY RUSH LIVE release is my favorite live album of all time.
    I'd like to see a , Marino, Trower, and Travers G3 tour.
    Trower just came through ST Louis and I missed him. :mad:

17. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

Not a big enough name for that bill. Saw him twice at a small 300 seater close by. He gets a lot of praise and a lot of people cite him as a big influence...........For me, I just don't get it.

18. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Member

I have his latest stuff, a killer live set, I would MUCH rather hear him play over Vai, Satch or just about any other of that type.

19. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Probably not a good fit for G3 (which Ive never been to one of the shows) but Frank is a monster player. I remember the forst time I heard "The Power Of Rock and Roll" album (still have it) I was hooked.

20. Rhynobyte

Rhynobyte Member

I love the Child of the Novelty (title track rules) and Tales of the Universe records. He has his own sound but I love his take on the hendrix style. Why not. When I listen to them they really give off that very early 70's vibe. Def transporting album. I saw on his website that he didn't use tube amps until a couple of years after those records.