Who thinks the Kemper sucks?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Laimon, Jun 16, 2014.

1. db9091

db9091 Member

I've noticed that the Kemper is very different with different guitars (as are amps) and so the profiles I loved with my Strat are entirely different than the ones I love with my recent LP.

I have 10 guitars, and they are quite dissimilar, and I've noticed that each change in guitar is like trying the Kemper out for a new time, as I don't know which profiles that guitar is going to shine with.

I can of course take a really good profile I love and most all my guitars sound great through it, but you know, some just pair better with certain amps than others. So that's why my Honeymoon is lasting as long as it is.

2. Laimon

Laimon Member

So, today I did my first profile, I profiled the preamp of my Engl Ironball on the rhythm channel with boost on.
    Let's go straight for the final statement: F**KING WOW :O

So, I don't wanna say they're indistinguishably identical, they're not (I had my gf switch at random from reference amp to Kemper, and I nailed all the guesses). After a first round of refinement what was giving it away was a little lack of sharpness in the attack on the low strings (the "clanginess"? :D ), in the second round of refinement (where I insisted more on low rhythmics) the bass got noticeably boomier, so I had to tame it down a bit on the eq section.

However, the result is remarkably, impressingly close. Really really hard to tell which is which. And even more important: the differences that give away the profiler don't feel like defects, they just feel like differences: the profile sounds still amazing, and it would be hard for me to say which, between profile and real amp, I like better :)

3. rsm

rsm Member

Me.

I'm happy with my tube amps; my Zoom G5 and my G-System, Triaxis, Torpedo CAB rigs.

YMMV

4. mattball826

mattball826 Member

just glad this isn't a thread with the same title about its competitor. :bitch

get ready for hell, banhammers, and locks if that happens! :nono

imo kemper had really done well getting the actual amp sound digitized in a way that can be as satisfying. there is less of the trickery when you wish to achieve the basic amp tone.

5. pinkfloyd

pinkfloyd Member

It sucks that I couldn't put my guitar down!

6. Laimon

Laimon Member

Ahah, it looks like recurringly somebody jumps in without reading the first message in the thread:

nor any other that followed:

and also

7. crhfish

crhfish Member

I've had the Kemper since it first came out and really like it. But, before you buy one please consider what you want it to do. Its designed to make recording easier and give you multiple amp choices to use while recording. If you are looking for that amp in the room sound, the best solution hands down is an amp. There is no doubt that the amp will sound the best playing in the room (if its a decent amp). But now you are stuck with one sound and the difficulty of trying to capture that sound if you try to record. Also depending on the amp it can be bulky to move around.

The easy part of the Kemper and the AX is recording. Setting up to record a good sound is fairly easy with both units. The tricky part with both the Kemper and the Ax is using them to record and to use live. I have a bunch of profiles I love through the headphones, but I had to tweak them a bit for studio monitor use, and I had to tweak them allot for use through stage monitors. Covering the entire spectrum of use is the hard part but sometimes I think folks forget its hard to do that with an amp also. Both of these units do cost allot but so do a handful of good mics for recording but then you need to know what you are doing when it comes to mic placement, etc.

I see both of these units as high end recording tools first to be used to easily get many sounds that would be very hard to get with conventional gear. Second they both provide a smaller portable unit for live use with some work and tweaking. If you want a Marshal Plexi in the room sound and feel, get a plexi.

8. Laimon

Laimon Member

Well, I have already got the Kemper, too late :p
    I said before that I like it, very much in fact. I also don't quite feel the problem with the amp in the room factor: at least, right now I run it through a tube power amp and a guitar cab, so the feeling is all there really.
    However, the main problem that I noticed almost immediately, is the aliasing. They said they had fixed it on firmware 1.6.X, but I am on 2.4.2 and I totally hear it. It comes up mostly on high notes and with very distorted sounds...but I do play metal, and it's not so unlikely to run in that frequency area.
    Now I'm trying to understand if there are ways around it. It could be a deal breaker, alas...but I would really like to keep it, I'm really digging it besides the aliasing problem.

9. Swampash

Swampash Member

Go to the Kemper forum with your problem. There are many, many people there who could easily direct you to solutions....not so much here.

10. Blueswede

Blueswede Gold Supporting Member

Maybe a dumb question but what is aliasing?

11. db9091

db9091 Member

Laimon should describe what he means by the sound of "aliasing" on the KPA forum. But put it in quotes. They should be able to suggest what the problem might be if clips are provided.

In fact, claiming there is a sound problem with it begs putting up clips to back the claim, since KPA says they fixed it I think around Jan 2013, the month I bought it, so I never heard it personally.

12. Laimon

Laimon Member

I am going to do so, yeah

13. stratotone

stratotone Supporting Member

Kemper works great live too. I'm in a band with another guy - we both use Kempers, and played a gig at a venue with an in house soundguy who runs sound around 200x a year for different bands and venues. He quizzed us about the Kempers after the gig, said it sounded like tube amps. We both use profiles I made, btw. :D

14. joesatch

joesatch Member

the honeymoon is over for Laimon, lmao he sold the Kemper.

15. Laimon

Laimon Member

Ahahah, what are you talking about?
    I did sell it...only to buy the powered one :p

16. thawn5150

thawn5150 Supporting Member

I have had mine for about a month now. At first I was expecting more but then a forum memeber suggested I profile my own amp which I did and bang.. its the same sound and I was won over.Sometimes I'll plug my amp in and the kemper still shines with it's easy interface and controls,effects and other functions. It can really profile an amp so close its hard to tell the difference. Like any other amp or product it does that a bit to tweak but I've tweaked amps for months at a time, so I feel its the same thing we guitar players go through daily. Yes, here are some bad profiles but I have also found great ones (paid and free).Bottom line is I an enjoying all the various sounds in this unit and do not regret buying one.

17. pepi

pepi Member

I do ... Because I can't afford one :wave

18. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

I've been using it on in-ear gigs, and I laugh because I have gotten so many unsolicited compliments from production and FOH people. i was really skeptical but I wanted something easy for the studio...now I'm taking it everywhere, cause it consistently sounds great. Using my standard pedalboard through it...

19. djlynch

djlynch Supporting Member

It does not suck.
    With so many profiles available a lot tend to sound and feel the same. So do a lot of amps

20. Laimon

Laimon Member

BTW: for those who just hopped on the thread, I started it with a provocative title before buying a Kemper, because I wanted to hear the people out of the choir of praise, to make an informed purchase.
    So I did not think it sucked, I just wanted to hear another side of the story, before buying that of the fanboys.
    Now I own one, and I love it ;-)