Who Tried A Blue In A Mercury

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by majorledhead, Jan 5, 2008.

1. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

Since I can't leave well enough alone I was thinking on swapping the speaker in my Carr Mercury. The Kingpin 60 that is in there ain't bad but when I swapped out the one in my Slant 6v with a Scumback it was a definite improvement. Being only 8 watts and me liking the Vox like middle postion on the drive selector, I'm thinking that the 15 watt celestion blue would be a perfect fit for this amp.BUT the fit is what I'm looking for feedback on. Will it physically fit ? Do you have to pull the cover of the magnet ? Also, just how good does it sound in this amp ?

2. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

When I had a Mercury(a couple of years ago) I recollect that the cover had to be removed from the magnet in order to fit. I did successfully install a RED FANG which sounded great but it took some doing.

Joe

3. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

I'm watching attentively on this one.....been wondering the same thing.

4. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

...has no one tried, or no one been able to accomplish this?

5. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

I think that there was a thread on the Mcinturff forum or in the archives of this forum.........

Joe

6. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I have a friend that put a Eminence Wizard in his Mercury and the overall headroom went up enough so he could play it live. It sounded very nice and the lowest attenuator setting was killer with the speaker change for bedroom jamming.