Who Tried Kinman Pickups

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by majorledhead, Mar 7, 2006.

1. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

Have Any Of You Tried The Different Types Of Kinmans ? Mainly Was Looking To Compare A Blues Set And A Woodstock Set. Are These As Good As The Web Sight Make Them Sound? Are They Worth The Money Or Is There Something Just As Good Made In The States ? I'm Looking To Change Out A Set So I Can Computer Record Without The 60cyl Hum Thing. My Style Leans Towards The Srv,trower, Kind Of Thing

2. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I have the tele Broadcasters and the regular strat avn62's. I really, really like both but fromall the reviews I've read the two sets your mentioning are even more popular. They are great pickups and worth the investment.

3. stratrat2000

stratrat2000 Member

I recently fitted two different sets for friends. The first was the Woodstocks to a mapleneck Fernandes Strat, the second was a set of Traditional MK2s to a mapleneck MIM Fender Strat.

They are everything Kinman says they are, so much so that I am ordering a set of Traditional MK2s for my own mapleneck Stratoid which has until now had a set of Custom Shop '69 pickups in (which are great sounding, but noisy). I've used hundreds of different pickups before, and these are the first noiseless models to really sound like a true singlecoil.

4. Sir Ricardo

Sir Ricardo Member

The Woodstocks have more treble, the Blues have the "aged" sound, which basically means the treble is rolled off a bit.

Woodstocks are killer. Two picks up!

Richard
    ========================

5. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I've had them in my SRV strat for the last 4 years. I liked them alot when I first got them........lately I've been feeling the need to experiment though. I don't know if my tastes are changing or what but I need a brighter pick up.

6. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I have a set of Blues in my Strat and I am very Happy with them.

7. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I have 3 sets of his pickups. Broadcasters, AVN-60s and MK IIs. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to get another set of his pickups. I get many compliments on those guitars.

8. John_M

John_M Supporting Member

I had the Traditionals and found them dull and lifeless, sterile.

I then got the woodstocks and found them fantastic.

IMO the "aged" thing just means "dull". Maybe the Blues set has more mojo.

The Woodstocks were great and I regret selling them - - I watch the bay for them but they are holding their value quite well.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

do a search, cause you'll find TONS of info on kinman 'round these parts.