Who tried to love the Fulldrive2 but couldn't.. and let it go?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sleejay80, Jan 23, 2012.

1. sleejay80

sleejay80 Member

What I mainly wanna know is:
    For those who let it go, do you regret doing so?
    Ever think "aw shoot, I should've used it THAT way, then I would have liked it!"

Well the story goes like this.

I've had my Yellow Pre-Mosfet 3-way toggle Fulldrive2 for over a year now, recorded and gigged with it many times.

Though I've liked it at times (not quite love), I've mostly never REALLY bonded with it, just forced myself to use it thinking 1.I might understand it someday 2.Everyone praises it, it must be good.

But recently I can never get over the fact that it's:
    - too dull/dark (tone knob always 3:00-maxed)
    - find the boost unuseable/unneccessarey (but still has the huge footprint.. wish it was independant)
    - I can barely tell the difference between vitage/FM mode, and CompCut is too loud compared to the other two.. another reason of inconvenience.

So basically I'm thinking of selling it.
    But before doing so, I wanna make sure I'm not making the wrong decision...

2. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

The Fulldrive was a desert island overdrive pedal for me. I only sold it because of the size didn't fit my board at the time and I had a great sounding TS808 at my disposal. I really wish I would have kept it though, a really nice thick overdrive that killed with every amp I own.

3. AlexinCrick

AlexinCrick Member

I sold mine 6-12 months ago after A/Bing it with a Keeley TS808+TB/Katana Boost combo. After a pretty heavy year gigging at the beginning of last week I was having problems with the TS and the Katana so ended up having to replace them with something very quickly.

I dashed out and brought a Fulldrive as it seemed like a quick and easy 'backup' (Keeley TS808's in the UK are at about £300 now!) and it's now found a permanent place on my board after blowing the TS/Katana combo out the water. It fits on my board where the TS/Katana once was so footprint is not an issue and while I always found dialing in the Katana to be incredibly hit and miss as a booster (with so much headroom I was constantly re-adjusting the level for the boost unless I was in really low powered amps).

The gear head in my has lost an element of flexibility that combo gave me but the lazy gigger in me has found a pedal that I set and forget about. It sounds great all night long and is incredibly flexible.

It's not got anywhere near as much gain as the OCD but I didn't get on with that pedal in the same way.

What amp are you running it into? That might help shed light on the 'dark' issue. If you're happy with the tone at 3pm though then it's cool.

The boost I always have between 3 o'clock and cranked so get where you're coming from to a point with that.

The volume boost on the comp cut/mosfet settings is only a problem if you're switching between them. I've found the Fulldrive to be a set and forget pedal with some great tones on offer.

My advise is do a few more gigs with it and then see where you're at. I absolutely love it - total desert island overdrive pedal and life saver the rest of the time...

4. p.j.

p.j. Member

I have a pre-mosefet blue FD2 w/ the 3 way toggle switch. I love it in the FM mode w/ overdrive at 12:00 and tone at 9:00. I don't use it all the time but I'd be sorry to let it go.

PJ

5. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

i owned a pre-mosfet FD2...
    ...and sold it fairly quickly.

with my Fender Jaguar, i could never get the sound i wanted out of it. Like you, i found it too dull and not bright enough. even with all of its switches and knobs i could never dial in the sound i was looking for. (the key phrase being "the sound I was looking for")

so yeah. the pedal's not for everyone. me included.

6. Abandoned

Abandoned Tweed Tube Tone Purist Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I let it go years ago and absolutely do NOT regret it.

7. hudpucker

hudpucker Member

I had a FD2 MOSFET and absolutely hated it. My Blackstone murdered it (for my uses). THE most disappointed I've ever been in a pedal.

Clearly though, YMMV.

8. CRWolf

CRWolf Member

I took a mosfet version on a one month test drive from GC. I found that what I already had (Barber DDLG and LTD) did the sounds I like just fine and together were just as versatile as the FD2. So, being a college student, I couldn't justify the $150 and returned it. One of my close friends has one now, so I've had the chance to play it and hear it a lot and no, I don't regret taking it back.

9. silvertone

silvertone Member

I had a couple versions over the years, and always thought it was pretty good. I bought the newest MOSFET one though, and thought it was the worst version by far Could not stop turning knobs trying to get a sound.
    I think you should trust your ears. Just because lots of folks like a particular thing doesn't mean that you should. Plus, these things are easily found, new and used, you can always find another one later.

10. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

I've had that pedal - 3 times. Each time, I tried giving it a chance, and like some of you have posted, just didn't jive with it. Honestly, I tried the TS 808, and it blew the FD2 away. Smoother, cleaned up nicely, tone knob more useful. YMMV. But if I go back to a dedicated TS, it will be the TS 808.

11. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Member

Its all about the balance of the complete rig. Kinda like cooking, you cant put ketchup on candy...(well you can if you want too but..) I love the fd2. I have 2 of the pre mosfet fm models before the 3 way switch and in the context of a strat wit a fender type amp on the verge of break up theres nothing better in my opinion. I leave it on all the time and ride the volume on my guitar.
    With a les paul( or humbuckers ) it works with a higher gain amp for "more", especially in compcut mode. When i try to use and lp just like i use a strat it always leaves me flat.. Its not a lame guitar or a crummy pedal its just not where they shine.
    I think its an expensive way to think but if you figure out what sound your going for specifically, you'll end up with multiple rigs you've designed to achieve those goals. This is why you wont see someone in a studio playing pinnacle into twin to get a marshall sound, they just use a marshall. A pinnacle into twin is fun, don't get me wrong but if you wanted a marshall it will start to bug the hell out you as soon as you start to hear and "feel" the differences.
    The fd2 is an amazing pedal. My all time favorite overdrive, but cant fit the bill for every situation.

12. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

I like it... dont love it. FM with the od at 12 tone to taste? Pretty creamy- decent compression feel.

Keith urban loves it? ;)

13. strombie

strombie Member

FD2 is my fav pedal on my board. Can't find any reason to hate it.

14. Steve73

Steve73 Member

It isn't always on my board but it's a great grab and go pedal, especially if I am using a Fender-ish amp on a rented backline or a house band amp. I don't like it much with Marshall type amps though, it is a bit too dark and midrange-y.

15. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

I think it's a great pedal, but I really wish they made one without the boost. It's a large pedal and I never used the boost side. Eventually I sold it.

16. Geosh

Geosh Member

I had an older 3-way switch non-MOSFET FD-II that I liked but was too dark for me. I usually had the tone at like 4 o'clock and even then it wasn't quite right. My friend had a MOSFET version that was a lot brighter so I thought that might work better for me. I ended up selling mine and bought a 10th Anniversary MOSFET version (the red one) because I thought it looked better than the blue. Well it turns out that the circuit is different in mine than in my friends blue one (white PCB in mine, not green). Mine isn't quite as bright as his blue one, but it much more usable than my old FD-II. I don't know what they did differently in the red ones with the white circuit boards, but it is a killer pedal and my favorite FD-II. It will not leave my board now.

17. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

The mosfet FDII didn't work for me and I ended up selling it to a friend. It sounds fantastic through his rig.

18. sportoflife

sportoflife Member

How does the FD2 stack up to your barbers ? im considering buying a FD2 or a direct drive for rhythm overdrive and i use my ocd for lead. Which would you suggest from your experience with the two?

19. Blue Tile Fever

Blue Tile Fever Member

I liked it briefly, but quickly resented it for -

1. Anemic output, unity volume was about 3:00, wtf?
    2. Bigtime bass loss
    3. Boost that couldn't be used on it's own, and didn't do too much
    4. Tone knob as useless as the volume

So long!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  20. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I had a FD2 for one gig... the boost function let me down live, so I returned it.