Who upgraded from Pedaltrain PT-2 to Pro? Was it the right move?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Groberts, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Groberts

Groberts Silver Supporting Member

I have a dilemma. I would like to add another pedal or two to my board. But my PT-2 is fully populated. I need more space. Do I jump up to the Pedal train Pro? I keep putting it off because with all its convenience, it starts getting really big, heavier and $$$. I would need to add another Power supply to manage more pedals. at some point, I need to draw the line. But I would love to add a second OD, a Uni-vibe, a second Delay.

I could build up a PT-Jr to go along side I suppose.

Another alternative is going with a Multi-effect unit like an HD500 or GT-100. But I've never found ME pedals to sound anywhere as good as my hand selected pedals.

open to suggestions.

2. tomuchroc41gtr

tomuchroc41gtr Supporting Member

I have a lot of mixed feelings about moving up to the pro. You're absolutely right that with more space comes more pedals...and with more pedals comes the need for another power supply. So that's another pretty decent upgrade expense. Depending on what type of of gigs you're doing (i.e., smaller stages, traveling, etc) size and weight could potentially be a problem. The pro, IMO, is ideal if you're using a true bypass looper. I'm enjoying the additional space but I find in the new trend of downsizing to a more efficient and practical board, I'm in somewhat of an awkward stage being too big for a PT-2 but have a good bit of open space on the PRO.

3. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I have 2 pedaltrain pros...each has 2 pedal powers underneath
    They are too effing heavy...if I could go back I would rather have 3 pedaltrain jrs or pedaltrain 1's...easier to lift and carry

Modular is always a good approach once you start getting into 12-16 pedal range...one small board for in front of amp, another for the loop...connect the 2 together and run it all in frontf of the amp...maybe have a third with all your wacky jazz math core fussion pedals that you only use once or twice a year...:)

4. Groberts

Groberts Silver Supporting Member

A LOOP station is one of the reasons I am looking for more real estate. Those big pedals eat up a lot of space. Modular may very well be the answer! Don't always need every single pedal.

5. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

I did a long time ago, mainly to add a true bypass looper and the M9. Excellent decision.

6. sub rosa

sub rosa Member

I have purposely remained with a PT2 to maintain perspective and limit my "I should have that type of effect too!" gas.

7. zztop

zztop Member

was in the same crossroads, but I prefered the option to use two -pt-1. in addition to being more 'practical', I have a board 'pre-loop' and 'post-loop', one with drives and another with modulations.

8. swellguy66

swellguy66 Member

People forget about the PT-3. This is what it's made for!

9. Daniel-San

Daniel-San Member

I'm in the running for a PT3 or PTpro aswell, but I've been holding it off for some months. I have a PT1 now and want to ad another delay(or two) and I want to use my Electric Mistress again....choices, choices....

10. Risewithfaith

Risewithfaith Member

I downsized from a PTpro, to the PT-2, and couldn't be happier! The 3 is the same width it just adds another bar, you may want to look into that.

11. DrGonzo

DrGonzo Gold Supporting Member

I went from a 2 to a Pro. The ability to get two Pedal Power 2+'s under the Pro is huge. It's a beast to move but you can get so many different pedal tones on a pro and not need them to be jammed so close together. I had so much crammed on my 2 that it was difficult to hit those switches in the dark....after a few rum and cokes... :)

12. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

I've used a PT-2 for about 6 years. At one point in the middle there I bought a Pro but kept the 2 around just in case. The pro is straight up huge. I really didn't like having a board that big. Part of it for me is I can't stand the depth. I sing and running a boom stand over that size of board makes for a tipsy mike stand. After about 6 months I couldn't take it any longer and went back to the PT-2. I wish they'd come out with a PT2 that is a little wider but doesn't have the extra depth.

13. starfish

starfish Member

Limit yourself to the PT-2, and if absolutely needed add a second board. Some things you could do to... "think outside of the box (board)"...

1. Take wah and fuzz off of the board
      • Use carbon batteries, they last a really long time in these effects, and they sound better in wah and fuzz... to me at least.
      • Unplug /replug when you plug/unplug the guitar each time. It really is not a big deal and takes an extra 5 seconds. Typically just the input jack shorts the battery. For years I convinced myself everything needed to be instantaneously "on" with the flip of one switch. Not practical really. It forces unnecessary solutions into play.
    2. Rotate, rotate, rotate
      • Sure I have 30+ dirt pedals, but I only need two on my board (Hotcake, Timmy)
      • Two delays (Timeline, DMMTT)
      • Two modulation pedals (TAW, DC-2)
      • An envelope filter (Proton ltd. ed.)
      • They all fit on a PT-2 and I could still fit a second Timeline sized pedal and a tuner in the empty spot if I wanted.
      • Rotation solves boredom, it's OK to have a lot of pedals, you don't need all of them on all of the time.
      • Changing things out introduces another variable of added creativity. New textures emerge and old ones may be revisited.
    3. Add more PSUs as needed
      • PT-2 can be modified for a second Pedal Power
      • Add a 3-way outlet adapter and expand your courtesy outlet

The strategy above is one I have arrived at after having been around the block with everything from all pedals on the floor, all vintage, all boutique, a mix of PSU requirements, small boards, large boards, massive boards and more effects at my feet than practical. Finally, what evolved was a workable solution. If your board will stay stationary in a studio environment, you can always add a second PT-2 and achieve the same end result - more pedals at your feet. The weight and space of the "pro" boards are not worth the hassle IMO.

14. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

This won't help you but I actually did the opposite. I felt I had too many pedals and went from a pro down to a PT1. Best move I've ever made. It made my life simpler - hich I needed cuz I'm the lead singer.

15. thegreatma3

thegreatma3 Member

i did the opposite. if you are getting the hard shell case version...prepare to lug that case with a risk of pulling your back bc that thing is huge and heavy!!

16. npfrs

npfrs Member

I went from PT-2 to Pro - never looked back!

Mind you, I also keep a 3-pedal size board kicking around for grab-n-go.

Tim -> DD-7 -> RC-2

17. markhail

markhail Member

Pt3 seems to be a great option

18. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

I went from a PT-2 sized board to a PT-3. The extra depth allows for 3 rows, although admittedly (and depending on the size of the various pedals) most pedals in the middle row aren't secured as well as you would want, as they're balancing on one slat versus two.

19. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

I thought about going to a PT-Pro from my PT-2, but I am happy I stayed with the PT-2, I think the Pro is just too big. I'm in a new band (the other guitar players both have PT-1s with 5 or so pedals), they thought I was crazy with a fully loaded PT-2, so imagine what they would think of a PT-Pro (not that it really matters but still). Sure, there are a few pedals I would like to add, but I think going to a Pro would lead to excess.

20. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

The Pro is just to heavy. What about getting a Zoom G3 for those added fx you want ? They sound pretty damn good and take up the space of a mman.